Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: unable to get help from man
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers unable to get help from man Post 302149960 by ezsurf on Sunday 9th of December 2007 10:15:42 AM
Old 12-09-2007
unable to get help from man

Help,

it seem that i am unable to get man help form solaris 10.

I am running SunOS unknown 5.10 Generic_120012-14 i86pc i386 i86pc
when ever i try to man a command what i get is "No manual entry" like the one below.

# man grep
No manual entry for grep.
# man ls
No manual entry for ls.
# man useradd
No manual entry for useradd.
# man mkdir
No manual entry for mkdir.

could some one help, what i can do?

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Man command

I know what the man command does and I know how to use it, but i am trying to find an answer to a question. When you run man on an other command it will give you the first page on your screen and then you hit the space bar and it brings up the second page. What command option would I use if I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shipoffools
5 Replies

2. Programming

man

If i have my own application ( say 'myTool'), then is it possible to create a man page for it? such that "man myTool" will give information about it. if so how to go about it? thanks in advance, Nads (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nads
3 Replies

3. Solaris

Unable to get help from man page

Help, it seem that i am unable to get man help form solaris 10. I am running SunOS unknown 5.10 Generic_120012-14 i86pc i386 i86pc when ever i try to man a command what i get is "No manual entry" like the one below. # man grep No manual entry for grep. # man ls No manual entry for ls.... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ezsurf
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

need help how to use man

hello every one im a new to unix i use solaris 9 experimental i would like to use real unix system but there are to many versions and i need someone to recommend a good one for me i also need help on how to use "man" (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abu_malek
3 Replies

5. Solaris

man and ldm man

According to Sun documentation (Ldoms 1.1 Administration Guide), To access the ldm(1M) man page, add the directory path /opt/SUNWldm/man to the variable $MANPATH. When I add the lines: MANPATH=$MANPATH:/opt/SUNWldm/man export MANPATH to .profile, exit root and re-login, I would have "man ldm"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: StarSol
5 Replies

6. Linux

man command

Hey people do u know how to disable the man command in linux??? i am not able to do anythg apart from disabling the permission for /usr/bin/... i dont wanna uninstall the man / man pages also... this has been one of the toughest challenges i have come across in linux... can anybody... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: linux.user
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

what man*x directories should contain ?

man pages are located beneath /usr/share/man. e.g., manual pages for "section 1" are located in /usr/share/man/man1/. And /usr/share/man/man*p should contain manual pages for POSIX programmers. I need to know what /usr/share/man/man*x directories should contain ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: new0h
1 Replies
CATMAN(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 CATMAN(8)

NAME
catman - create the cat files for the manual SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/catman [ -p ] [ -n ] [ -w ] [ -M path ] [ sections ] DESCRIPTION
Catman creates the preformatted versions of the on-line manual from the nroff input files. Each manual page is examined and those whose preformatted versions are missing or out of date are recreated. If any changes are made, catman will recreate the whatis database. If there is one parameter not starting with a `-', it is taken to be a list of manual sections to look in. For example catman 123 will cause the updating to only happen to manual sections 1, 2, and 3. Options: -n prevents creations of the whatis database. -p prints what would be done instead of doing it. -w causes only the whatis database to be created. No manual reformatting is done. -M updates manual pages located in the set of directories specified by path (/usr/man by default). Path has the form of a colon (`:') separated list of directory names, for example `/usr/local/man:/usr/man'. If the environment variable `MANPATH' is set, its value is used for the default path. If the nroff source file contains only a line of the form `.so manx/yyy.x', a symbolic link is made in the catx directory to the appropri- ate preformatted manual page. This feature allows easy distribution of the preformatted manual pages among a group of associated machines with rdist(1). The nroff sources need not be distributed to all machines, thus saving the associated disk space. As an example, consider a local network with 5 machines, called mach1 through mach5. Suppose mach3 has the manual page nroff sources. Every night, mach3 runs catman via cron(8) and later runs rdist with a distfile that looks like: MANSLAVES = ( mach1 mach2 mach4 mach5 ) MANUALS = (/usr/man/cat[1-8no] /usr/man/whatis) ${MANUALS} -> ${MANSLAVES} install -R; notify root; FILES
/usr/man default manual directory location /usr/man/man?/*.* raw (nroff input) manual sections /usr/man/cat?/*.* preformatted manual pages /usr/man/whatis whatis database /usr/sbin/makewhatis command script to make whatis database SEE ALSO
man(1), cron(8), rdist(1) BUGS
Acts oddly on nights with full moons. The need for catman(8) is almost but not quite gone. Most of the manpages have been moved out of /usr/src/man into the sourcecode hierar- chy. The recreation of the whatis database is the main use of catman now. 4th Berkeley Distribution October 23, 1996 CATMAN(8)