Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Software engineers, real and otherwise Post 302145464 by drl on Wednesday 14th of November 2007 09:16:12 AM
Old 11-14-2007
Software engineers, real and otherwise

Hi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakunin
As I believe this would indeed add content to this thread i am going to answer here instead of writing a PN to you:

real software engineers write programs

"other" / "not real" software engineers use graphical tools to create input for other graphical tools, which have symbolical output, which is fed to pseudo-generators, which create pseudocode for other generators, which generate code for other generators, which finally generate program code, which is fed to a compiler and then run. Don't ask, why a "Hello-World"-program takes 20 minutes to load and needs a minimum of 16GB RAM to run - RAM is cheap anyways, right? And the process is very object-oriented, streamlined, hyper-ultra-anything, turbo-accelerated, and so on and so on.

Of course they (the second type of "software engineers") do not need to analyze anything - they just shuffle the mouse around, click on the most colourful icon and - done (or so). That the users of this b*sh*t are often using some Excel worksheet to keep track of the list the program was written to provide in first place - just a minor issue. It may not fulfill its purpose, but it definitely is easy to use, easy to adapt (it can easily be brought to not do other things equally slow), etc., etc., blather, blather, ...

I hope i have made my point clear. I may sound bitter, but i have administered too many SAP-systems to find these things still funny.

bakunin
Rather than go off-topic in https://www.unix.com/unix-dummies-que...post302145451I I started this thread.

In addition to continuing the discussion here, there are related threads on this topic at: How do you "get into" the programming mentality? - LinuxQuestions.org and Soapbox: The "Artisan Mentality" - LinuxQuestions.org

Best wishes ... cheers, drl

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Open source mathematical software for scientists & engineers

I'm look for some opinion on mathematical software from any engineers out there. What is the open source application that --in your opinion(s) -- best meets the same requirements as Mathematica or Maple? I'm running FreeBSD & Linux, btw. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aaron Van
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How many UNIX engineers are necessary?

I was asked to maintain more than 160 UNIX servers which OS are Solaris, linux,susue,,etc by the president. But there is only one UNIX engineer in my section. I am sure I need at least 3 UNIX engineers to maintain more than 160 UNIX servers. What do you think how many engineers I need? (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: nrjhit
11 Replies

3. High Performance Computing

Installation Guide for Solaris Cluster 3.2 Software and Oracle 10g Release 2 Real App

Here are steps for installing the Solaris 10 11/06 OS, Solaris Cluster (formerly Sun Cluster) 3.2 software, QFS 4.5, and Oracle 10gR2 RAC. Also provided are instructions on how to configure QFS and Solaris Volume Manager for use with Oracle 10gR2 RAC. More... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linux Bot
0 Replies

4. Solaris

Lack of Solaris Engineers?

Are more and more companies moving away from Solaris? I am currently helping a company search for a Sr. Solaris Engineer near Philadelphia and it seems as if more candidates are in other UNIX flavors. Is this correct? Where is the best place to search for Solaris Engineers? Thank you for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nickcrocemisi
2 Replies

5. What is on Your Mind?

Lack of Solaris Engineers?

Are more and more companies moving away from Solaris? I am currently helping a company search for a Sr. Solaris Engineer near Philadelphia and it seems as if more candidates are in other UNIX flavors. Is this correct? Where is the best place to search for Solaris Engineers? Thank you for your... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nickcrocemisi
1 Replies

6. Advertise with Us

Wanted- Linux Application Engineers

Optiver US LLC is a worldwide market maker and derivatives trading firm with offices in Chicago, Amsterdam and Sydney. Attracting very ambitious, talented and results-oriented individuals to become members of a highly selective trading application engineering team. This position is a primary... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Barb S.
0 Replies
URL(4)							   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						    URL(4)

NAME
url -- Realtek RTL8150L USB Ethernet driver SYNOPSIS
url* at uhub? urlphy* at mii? DESCRIPTION
The url driver provides support for USB Ethernet adapters based on the Realtek RTL8150L USB-ether bridge chip. The url driver supports the following adapters: CompUSA USBKR100 GreenHouse GH-USB100B Melco Inc. LUA-KTX Sitecom LN013 For more information on configuring this device, see ifconfig(8). DIAGNOSTICS
url%d: watchdog timeout A packet was queued for transmission and a transmit command was issued, however the device failed to acknowledge the transmission before a timeout expired. url%d: no memory for rx list The driver failed to allocate an mbuf for the receiver ring. SEE ALSO
arp(4), mii(4), netintro(4), usb(4), ifconfig(8) HISTORY
The url device driver first appeared in NetBSD 1.6. AUTHORS
The url driver was written by Shingo WATANABE <nabe@nabechan.org>. BSD
September 18, 2006 BSD