Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers User home folder permissions catch-22, help! Post 302127161 by EugeneG on Monday 16th of July 2007 11:44:18 AM
Old 07-16-2007
Thanks for the reply, can you please describe more specifically what each part of the command does?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reset Home Directory Permissions

I accidently reset the permissions of my /home/punkrockguy318 directory to root only. How can I get my punkrockguy318 permissions ( and all of it's contents) to be read/write accesable only to punkrockguy318 and root? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: punkrockguy318
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can I prevent a user from changing the permissions on their home directory.

Hello All, I have a new HPUX system going into production and it will be used by 2 projects. One of the contract requirements is the 2 groups can not have access to the others work or data. I believe I have the system pretty well locked up using groups and permissions and selective mounting of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DanL
2 Replies

3. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

folder permissions

I work for a big company and all the people within my unit share a common drive to save documents to. I am listed in the group(AMS group) that has access rights to folders within this drive. but i'm trying to restrict access to a confidential folder so that only I can access it. when I set the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: shed
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Batch delete specific folder from user home directories

Hi! Need your help. How can I delete the cache folder of multiple user home directories via automatically executed shell script on a Mac OS X Server? Example: The userdata are stored on a Xsan Volume like this: /Volumes/Xsan/userdata/mike /Volumes/Xsan/userdata/peter... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nipodrom
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Home Directory Permissions

My users home directory located in a RHEL 5.0 nfs server. Client is ubuntu 8.1 using NIS for authntication anf NFS for automounting home Directory on the client side. I set 700 to the users home directory. My problem here is some of the users change the mode, which result in leak of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: a_artha
2 Replies

6. Solaris

how to change /export/home/user dir to /home /user in solaris

Hi all i am using solaris 10, i am creating user with useradd -d/home/user -m -s /bin/sh user user is created with in the following path /export/home/user (auto mount) i need the user to be created like this (/home as default home directory ) useradd -d /home/user -m -s /bin/sh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kalyankalyan
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Keeping your Home file permissions correct

I have been a UNIX user for a long time, and in that time I have been looking for a program to set/reset all the file permissions of a complex directory hierarchy (my home) according to a configuration file of rules. That is not the simple find-xargs-chmod rule but a program (shell/perl/c)... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: antofthy
4 Replies

8. Red Hat

Need to compare two folder / FS permissions

Hi, Need to compare two folders / File systems permissions & time stamps including sub folders and files. Kindly let me know if any commands available. Regards :: VM (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: novaothers
1 Replies

9. Ubuntu

Folder permissions

Hi Team, I want to set permissions to one folder in such a way that the user can write files or create folder inside that but should not able to delete it. Basically reason behind this is i am using Pidgin Messenger. There is a directory of logs in which, when user chat its store his logs.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: paragnehete
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Permissions on a directory in /home for all users

Hi, I have created a shared directory on /home, where all users on a certain group have read, write and execute permissions. I did this using chmod -R g+rwx /home/shared/ The problem is, when a particular user creates a directory within /home/shared, other users are not able to write to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: lost.identity
8 Replies
RMF(1)								     [nmh-1.5]								    RMF(1)

NAME
rmf - remove an nmh folder SYNOPSIS
rmf [+folder] [-interactive | -nointeractive] [-version] [-help] DESCRIPTION
Rmf removes all of the messages (files) within the specified (or default) folder, and then removes the folder (directory) itself. If there are any files within the folder which are not a part of nmh, they will not be removed, and an error will be produced. If the folder is given explicitly or the -nointeractive option is given, then the folder will be removed without confirmation. Otherwise, the user will be asked for confirmation. If rmf can't find the current folder, for some reason, the folder to be removed defaults to `+inbox' (unless overridden by user's profile entry "Inbox") with confirmation. If the folder being removed is a subfolder, the parent folder will become the new current folder, and rmf will produce a message telling the user this has happened. This provides an easy mechanism for selecting a set of messages, operating on the list, then removing the list and returning to the current folder from which the list was extracted. If rmf s used on a read-only folder, it will delete all the (private) sequences (i.e., "atr-seq-folder" entries) for this folder from your context without affecting the folder itself. Rmf irreversibly deletes messages that don't have other links, so use it with caution. FILES
$HOME/.mh_profile The user profile PROFILE COMPONENTS
Path: To determine the user's nmh directory Current-Folder: To find the default current folder Inbox: To find the default inbox SEE ALSO
rmm(1) DEFAULTS
`+folder' defaults to the current folder, usually with confirmation `-interactive' if +folder' not given, `-nointeractive' otherwise CONTEXT
Rmf will set the current folder to the parent folder if a subfolder is removed; or if the current folder is removed, it will make "inbox" current. Otherwise, it doesn't change the current folder or message. BUGS
Although intuitively one would suspect that rmf works recursively, it does not. Hence if you have a sub-folder within a folder, in order to rmf the parent, you must first rmf each of the children. MH.6.8 11 June 2012 RMF(1)