Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux how to get passwd command again if it is deleted by usin rm command Post 302120635 by Perderabo on Thursday 7th of June 2007 09:51:09 AM
Old 06-07-2007
I think that the passwd program is in /bin on Linux, so restore the /bin/passwd file from backups just as you would any other file. And be careful when you are acting as root. If you accidentally delete a very critical file you might not be able to run the restore program. In the worst case you will need to re-install the OS. But /bin/passwd should not be needed during the restore, so you should be ok.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleted /etc/passwd

Hi all, While playing with my LINUX machine i accidently deleted a file name called /etc/passwd . Even though the system is booted am unable to get the login prompt. Is there any remedy for this problem.:( (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cyno
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is there a way to recover files deleted using rm command???

Hi All, I just mistakingly deleted some files using rm command.Is there a way to get it back?i work on Solaris 10 Thanks, Kumar (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kumarsaravana_s
1 Replies

3. Solaris

/etc/passwd file been deleted

Hi Folks , Would be grateful if someone could help me out in one of the question that came to my mind . If the /etc/passwd file has been deleted and the system has been rebooted . Then i dont think that any user would be able to login and the system will be useless . Whats the best solution for... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gera_sachin125
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to deleted a string using tr- command

I have a file like below 4 0 /work/ram/jagan/irt_XXrules.dat 4 0 /work/ram/jagan/irt_NNrules.dat 4 0 /work/ram/jagan/irt_MMrules.dat 4 0 /work/ram/jagan/irt_ZZrules.dat My output should be 4 0 XXrules 4 0 NNrules 4 0 MMrules 4 0 ZZrules (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: suresh3566
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

rm command-outputting files as they are deleted?

Solaris 10/Korn Hi unix experts!, Is it possible to output the actual file names to a file as they are being deleted via the rm command? Context: Im executing the shell script at the command line and directing the output to an output file eg purgescript.ksh > output.lst within the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: satnamx
3 Replies

6. Solaris

Passwd,shadow files deleted and abort sequence disabled

Hi all.. I moved the /etc/shadow and /etc/shadow files to /tmp and then rebooted my PARC machine running 5.10. I did it to see if I could recover from single user mode. But, I forgot to enable the abort key-sequence which I earlier disabled. Stuck! One of my gurus told I had to... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: satish51392111
9 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

CVS command to revert deleted files

Hi, I have deleted a file and commited in CVS. So, is there any CVS command to revert back that deleted file with existing log messages. --Thanks in advance Madhu (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: madhuti
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to prevent command from deleted

Hi, I've been searching around for solution, hope that some gurus here can help. I'm using some commands in my shell script and I'd like to protect these command to be moved to another directory. For instance, cp currently in /bin/cp. If I move it to /bin/cpxxx, my script will not be able to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gklntn
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Recover Deleted Folder using rm command

Hi All, I accidentally deleted a important folder using rm command. Can i recover that folder. I don't have any backup mechanism. Please suggest.... its very urgant..Plz (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vijay.gandra
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleted /etc/passwd file while accessing to our test server via putty

Hi I was accessing our linux test server via putty and By mistake i deleted /etc/passwd file..... It is allowing me to login..... So could anyone please help me out in this issue.... Please, it is urgent (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahul547
6 Replies
bup-restore(1)						      General Commands Manual						    bup-restore(1)

NAME
bup-restore - extract files from a backup set SYNOPSIS
bup restore [--outdir=outdir] [-v] [-q] DESCRIPTION
bup restore extracts files from a backup set (created with bup-save(1)) to the local filesystem. The specified paths are of the form /branch/revision/path/to/file. The components of the path are as follows: branch the name of the backup set to restore from; this corresponds to the --name (-n) option to bup save. revision the revision of the backup set to restore. The revision latest is always the most recent backup on the given branch. You can dis- cover other revisions using bup ls /branch. /path/to/file the original absolute filesystem path to the file you want to restore. For example, /etc/passwd. Note: if the /path/to/file is a directory, bup restore will restore that directory as well as recursively restoring all its contents. If /path/to/file is a directory ending in a slash (ie. /path/to/dir/), bup restore will restore the children of that directory directly to the current directory (or the --outdir). If the directory does not end in a slash, the children will be restored to a subdirectory of the current directory. See the EXAMPLES section to see how this works. OPTIONS
-C, --outdir=outdir create and change to directory outdir before extracting the files. -v, --verbose increase log output. Given once, prints every directory as it is restored; given twice, prints every file and directory. -q, --quiet don't show the progress meter. Normally, is stderr is a tty, a progress display is printed that shows the total number of files restored. EXAMPLE
Create a simple test backup set: $ bup index -u /etc $ bup save -n mybackup /etc/passwd /etc/profile Restore just one file: $ bup restore /mybackup/latest/etc/passwd Restoring: 1, done. $ ls -l passwd -rw-r--r-- 1 apenwarr apenwarr 1478 2010-09-08 03:06 passwd Restore the whole directory (no trailing slash): $ bup restore -C test1 /mybackup/latest/etc Restoring: 3, done. $ find test1 test1 test1/etc test1/etc/passwd test1/etc/profile Restore the whole directory (trailing slash): $ bup restore -C test2 /mybackup/latest/etc/ Restoring: 2, done. $ find test2 test2 test2/passwd test2/profile SEE ALSO
bup-save(1), bup-ftp(1), bup-fuse(1), bup-web(1) BUP
Part of the bup(1) suite. AUTHORS
Avery Pennarun <apenwarr@gmail.com>. Bup unknown- bup-restore(1)