Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Put strings around the file name Post 302116892 by ghostdog74 on Wednesday 9th of May 2007 07:32:31 AM
Old 05-09-2007
another:
Code:
awk ' {  $0 = tolower($0); print "\047"$0"\047"} ' "file"

output:
Code:
# ./test.sh
'jolly mirani'
'han lee'
'stuart lloyd'

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Take a file from the system and put on tape and reset the file to 0 bytes

:mad: I did this the other day but one of my support personnel removed my history so i could call it back up to remeber the exact command since i am air-headed at times. I am trying to take a 30 MEG file off the system and drop it to tape then i want to make the file go back to being 0 bytes so... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JackieRyan26
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep strings from file and put in Column

Dear Experts, My file contains below- GET:SUB:ISI,432350414557432; RESP:0:MD,019352020633:ISI,432350414557432:T11,1:T21,1:T22,1:B16,1:T62,1:BAIC,0:BAOC,1:BOIC,0:BIRO,0:BORO,0:PAID,1; GET:SUB:ISI,432350414581060;... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thepurple
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I want some selected data from first file and put into other file in specified format

I have a file with follwing content ---------------------------------- SCHEDULE XXXXXXXXX#JOBCOUNT ON EVERYDAY AT 0000 PRIORITY 50 SCHEDULE XXXXXXXXX#ABCDEFGH ON EVERYDAY AT 0001 PRIORITY 29 SCHEDULE... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shreyas
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

split input data file and put into same output file

Hi All, I have two input file and need to generate a CSV file. The existing report just "GREP" the records with the Header and Tailer records with the count of records. Now i need to split the data into 25 records each in the same CSV file. id_file (Input file ) 227050994 232510151... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rasmith
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete lines in file containing duplicate strings, keeping longer strings

The question is not as simple as the title... I have a file, it looks like this <string name="string1">RZ-LED</string> <string name="string2">2.0</string> <string name="string2">Version 2.0</string> <string name="string3">BP</string> I would like to check for duplicate entries of... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: raidzero
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to read strings from a txt and put them into a spreadsheet?

i have hundreds of thousands of txt files as below, RADARSAT 1 SCENE DESCRIPTION SCENE_ID c0005098 MDA ORDER NUMBER GEOGRAPHICAL AREA CIS ScanSar Canada SCENE START TIME APR 02 1997 23:05:10.222 SCENE STOP TIME APR 02 1997 23:02:49.695... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunnydanniel
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract two strings from a file and create a new file with these strings

I have the following lines in a log file. It would be great if some one can help me to create a new file with the just entries in the below format. 66.150.161.195 HPSAC=Z05 66.150.161.196 HPSAC=A05 That is just extract the IP address and the string DPSAC=its value 66.150.161.195 -... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Tuxidow
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to pass strings from a list of strings from another file and create multiple files?

Hello Everyone , Iam a newbie to shell programming and iam reaching out if anyone can help in this :- I have two files 1) Insert.txt 2) partition_list.txt insert.txt looks like this :- insert into emp1 partition (partition_name) (a1, b2, c4, s6, d8) select a1, b2, c4, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nubie2linux
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Use strings from nth field from one file to match strings in entire line in another file, awk

I cannot seem to get what should be a simple awk one-liner to work correctly and cannot figure out why. I would like to use patterns from a specific field in one file as regex to search for matching strings in the entire line ($0) of another file. I would like to output the lines of File2 which... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jvoot
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

(g)awk: Matching strings from one file in another file between two strings

Hello all, I can get close to what I am looking for but cannot seem to hit it exactly and was wondering if I could get your help. I have the following sample from textfile with many thousands of lines: File 1 PS001,001 HLK PS002,004 L<G PS004,002 XNN PS004,006 BVX PS004,006 ZBX=... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jvoot
7 Replies
CONSPY(1)							      conspy								 CONSPY(1)

NAME
conspy - virtual console spy tool SYNOPSIS
conspy [ options ] [ console ] DESCRIPTION
Conspy allows the user to take control of a Linux virtual console. The user can see what is displayed on the console and their keystrokes are sent to it. To exit from conspy press the escape key three times in quick succession. COMMAND LINE
-V, --version Print the program's version and exit. -v, --viewonly Don't send keystrokes to the virtual console. console If supplied, console must be a number in the range 1 .. 63, corresponding to the virtual console device /dev/tty1 .. /dev/tty63. If not supplied the currently active virtual console is opened and tracked. LIMITATIONS
Conspy will not pass keystrokes to a virtual console whose keyboard is configured to send scan codes. X configures its keyboard like this. If the terminal does not have at least 64 colours no colour will be displayed. Conspy ignores the mouse. Conspy may display some non- ASCII characters incorrectly. Conspy does not handle displays larger than 16000 characters (eg 200 rows x 80 columns). Conspy depends on terminfo and curses working correctly for your terminal, and sometimes they don't. Konsole is/was one example of where they don't. Typing control-L will redraw the screen, which usually fixes the mess created. It also sends a control-L to the virtual con- sole, of course. FILES
/dev/ttyX, /dev/vc/X The characters typed are sent to this device. The latter is for devfs. It is only used if the former does not exist. /dev/vcsaX, /dev/vcc/aX The display of the virtual console is read from here. The latter is for devfs. It is only used if the former does not exist. AUTHOR
Russell Stuart, <russell-conspy@stuart.id.au>. Version 1.8 Apr 2011 CONSPY(1)