Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Hello Everyone - Student in Need of Help Post 302113618 by blowtorch on Saturday 7th of April 2007 11:37:24 PM
Old 04-08-2007
I don't think you've quite understood the question. You don't have to cut and paste anything for your code to work. Nor do you have to redirect any output. What is required here is handling command line arguments that are passed to your script. Read the man page of sh in detail, especially the execution section.

Also, since this is homework and against the site rules, I am closing this thread.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

novice student needs help

Help! I am very stuck!!! I have to produce a practical implementation of ONC RPC for an assignment and I do not know where to start. I hve done much searching on sun's site but everything is too complicated for someone with my limited knowledge. I only know the very basic unix commands and have... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: karen79
1 Replies

2. Linux

Student needs help...

I know taking the easy way out isn't going to help me learn anything, but hopefully it will at least give me some guidence... I have a project and here's what I have to do... A company is currently running a Digital VAX and I have to replace it with a Linux server. There are 19 terminals... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: MGold4357
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Newbie Student Need Help!

Is there anyone here that can help me with my unix assignment? I've been working on it for 3 days now. It is regarding writing a script. I've got a few questions that I need some answers. Please someone who are willing to help add me to their msn messenger: **************** In one part of... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: DaSFLiP
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

student need help!

yes im a student at Sandersville Technical College in Sandersville, Georgia. Im doing a presentation on UNIX can someone help me discribe what UNIX is and how to use it and the different features it has? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: willnadaze
6 Replies

5. What is on Your Mind?

Anthropology Student Looking for Research Participants

I am an undergraduate in Anthropology, currently writing my final year dissertation. The subject I have chosen in the Open Source project. I will be writing a detailed ethnography of hacker culture and am searching for research participants. Particularly, I am looking for Open Source user groups... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: osanthropologis
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Student system BASH script

Hi guys, i'm beginner with Unix, I tried my best, but I Really don't know how to finish it :D. here's my problem : I have to do something like Student system - student's name | subjects | mark |credits. after starting script it will ask you for Student's name, then which subject, then the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: PrincMehi
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Student needs grep command assistance

I am a student in a UNIX/Linux classes having hard time with grep looking for assistance on some home work I need to figure out some kind of grep command to get a out put that only gives me information from a sample file and only list the people with the first name John the sample file is named... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jetoutant
1 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

Student needs grep command help

I am a Student in college struggling with Linux homework This home work was created by my professor not out of the class text book and is frustrating me and the text book is a little frustrating as well need help with 2 5 6 stuck on 2 currently so I know 5 and 6 will be even more... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: jetoutant
9 Replies
cut(1)								   User Commands							    cut(1)

NAME
cut - cut out selected fields of each line of a file SYNOPSIS
cut -b list [-n] [file]... cut -c list [file]... cut -f list [-d delim] [-s] [file]... DESCRIPTION
Use the cut utility to cut out columns from a table or fields from each line of a file; in data base parlance, it implements the projection of a relation. The fields as specified by list can be fixed length, that is, character positions as on a punched card (-c option) or the length can vary from line to line and be marked with a field delimiter character like TAB (-f option). cut can be used as a filter. Either the -b, -c, or -f option must be specified. Use grep(1) to make horizontal ``cuts'' (by context) through a file, or paste(1) to put files together column-wise (that is, horizontally). To reorder columns in a table, use cut and paste. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: list A comma-separated or blank-character-separated list of integer field numbers (in increasing order), with optional - to indi- cate ranges (for instance, 1,4,7; 1-3,8; -5,10 (short for 1-5,10); or 3- (short for third through last field)). -b list The list following -b specifies byte positions (for instance, -b1-72 would pass the first 72 bytes of each line). When -b and -n are used together, list is adjusted so that no multi-byte character is split. -c list The list following -c specifies character positions (for instance, -c1-72 would pass the first 72 characters of each line). -d delim The character following -d is the field delimiter (-f option only). Default is tab. Space or other characters with special meaning to the shell must be quoted. delim can be a multi-byte character. -f list The list following -f is a list of fields assumed to be separated in the file by a delimiter character (see -d ); for instance, -f1,7 copies the first and seventh field only. Lines with no field delimiters will be passed through intact (useful for table subheadings), unless -s is specified. -n Do not split characters. When -b list and -n are used together, list is adjusted so that no multi-byte character is split. -s Suppresses lines with no delimiter characters in case of -f option. Unless specified, lines with no delimiters will be passed through untouched. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: file A path name of an input file. If no file operands are specified, or if a file operand is -, the standard input will be used. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of cut when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte (2^31 bytes). EXAMPLES
Example 1 Mapping user IDs A mapping of user IDs to names follows: example% cut -d: -f1,5 /etc/passwd Example 2 Setting current login name To set name to current login name: example$ name=`who am i | cut -f1 -d' '` ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of cut: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 All input files were output successfully. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
grep(1), paste(1), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5), standards(5) DIAGNOSTICS
cut: -n may only be used with -b cut: -d may only be used with -f cut: -s may only be used with -f cut: cannot open <file> Either file cannot be read or does not exist. If multiple files are present, processing continues. cut: no delimiter specified Missing delim on -d option. cut: invalid delimiter cut: no list specified Missing list on -b, -c, or -f option. cut: invalid range specifier cut: too many ranges specified cut: range must be increasing cut: invalid character in range cut: internal error processing input cut: invalid multibyte character cut: unable to allocate enough memory SunOS 5.11 29 Apr 1999 cut(1)