Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Call a UNIX shell with parameters from C Post 302110619 by dustman on Wednesday 14th of March 2007 07:13:20 AM
Old 03-14-2007
Call a UNIX shell with parameters from C

Hello...I hava quite a problem, couldn't find a solution anywhere Smilie. I have a C program, and from that C program I have to call a shell script. This is not difficult, I can do it using the "system" command from C. But the ugly part is how can I send as parameters some variables? For example...i have a char *s, which I read from keyboard, and I want to send this "char *s" to the shell....How? I found some commands like execl, execve, but they aren't working properly(or perhaps I dunno how to correctly use them). Any suggestions are most welcome.

Cheers!

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Making a SOAP call from within unix shell scripts

Hi guys, Is it possible to make SOAP calls from within Unix shell scripts? I need to access a web service from within UNIX in order to lookup something while I am doing some parsing on a file. Regards, Laud (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Laud12345
2 Replies

2. Programming

How to call the C Programme in UNIX shell scripting...?

Hi All, How to call the C programme in UNIX shell scripting? please send me some sample script for the above scenario. Regards, MPS:b: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: psiva_arul
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

call shell script with named parameters

Could someone help me to call a shell script with named parameters. I mean Callscript .sh -c someconfigfile.txt or callscript.sh -config someconfigfile.txt inside the script how can I retrieve someconfigfile.txt using the parametername -c or -config. Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rvijay80
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix Shell Script to loop over Directory and send Filesname as parameters

Hi there I'm new to UNIX scripting; I’m stuck with the following I have an Oracle SQL script that takes three parameters 1- File Name 2- File Path 3- File creation date Under UNIX I have a folder where files will be placed frequently and I need to upload those files to Oracle, what I need... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: windjashi
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to call oracle stored procedure from unix shell

Hi i want to call a oracle stored procedure from unix (using bash shell). consider this is my oracle stored procedure with parameter create procedure testproc(name IN varchar, age IN Number, id OUT Number ) AS begin id=1; dbms_output.put.line('successfull validation') end;... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: barani75
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

call function with different parameters position

Hi I would like to call function in my script couple of times. But each time with different parameters position. In line 57 I don't know how to call it without typing $1 and $ parameters ? #!/bin/ksh 2 3 4 function First 5 { 6 7 # $1 - name 8 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: presul
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parameters + arrays in unix shell

Say I have ./param HEY What would I do if I wanted to store each character into an array? Example. ARRAY1="H" ARRAY1="E" ARRAY1="Y" thank you! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: puttster
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

call another shell script and pass parameters to that shell script

Hi, I basically have 2 shell scripts. One is a shell script will get the variable value from the user. The variable is nothing but the IP of the remote system. Another shell script is a script that does the job of connecting to the remote system using ssh. This uses a expect utility in turn. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunrexstar
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help on case to call recursively in UNIX Shell Script

Hi, I am New to Unix Shell Scripting basically, i need some help in achieving a case statement in Shell script to call recursively That is if case having like 1 2 3 4 options , if user inputs 1 and gets executed case should ask for options again but user should not input the same input value 1,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikram
7 Replies
sh(1)							      General Commands Manual							     sh(1)

NAME
sh - Shell, the standard command language interpreter DESCRIPTION
[Tru64 UNIX] Tru64 UNIX provides two command interpreters with the name sh. The XCU5.0 and POSIX.2 compliant command interpreter sh is available in the file /usr/bin/posix/sh and is described in the sh(1p) reference page. The Bourne shell, historically known as sh, is available in the file /usr/bin/sh and is described in the sh(1b) reference page. [Tru64 UNIX] Your initial, or login, shell is determined by your entry in the file /etc/passwd. This file can be changed only by your sys- tem administrator. You must use whatever procedures are in place at your location to have this entry changed. [Tru64 UNIX] If available on your system, you may use the passwd -s or the chsh commands to change your login shell. Note This option is not available if your site manages passwords through the Network Information Service (NIS) facility. Check with your system administrator. [Tru64 UNIX] Subsequent shells spawned from the initial shell depend on the value in the environment variable BIN_SH. If this variable is set to xpg4, the POSIX shell is started. If this variable is set to svr4, an SVR4 compliant version of the shell is started. If this vari- able is unset, the Bourne shell is started. If this variable is set to any other value, an error is reported and the results are unpre- dictable. See the EXAMPLES section for information on setting this variable. NOTES
[Tru64 UNIX] With Tru64 UNIX Version 4.0 the Korn shell, /usr/bin/ksh is the same as the POSIX shell /usr/bin/posix/sh. RESTRICTIONS
[Tru64 UNIX] The file /etc/shells must include entries for both the POSIX shell /usr/bin/posix/sh and the Bourne shell, /usr/bin/sh. If this file is incorrect, see your system administrator. EXAMPLES
Using the Bourne, Korn, or POSIX shell, to set the variable BIN_SH to use the POSIX/ XCU5.0compliant shell, enter: BIN_SH=xpg4 export BIN_SH Using the Bourne, Korn, or POSIX shell, to set the variable BIN_SH to use the SVR4 compliant shell, enter: BIN_SH=svr4 export BIN_SH Using the Bourne, Korn, or POSIX shell, to unset the variable BIN_SH, enter: unset BIN_SH Using the C/ shell, to set the variable BIN_SH to use the POSIX/XCU5.0 compliant shell, enter: setenv BIN_SH xpg4 Using the C/ shell, to set the variable BIN_SH to use the SVR4 compliant shell, enter: setenv BIN_SH svr4 Using the C/ shell, to unset the variable BIN_SH, enter: unsetenv BIN_SH FILES
User profile. Contains user information, including the login shell name. Contains the names of available and permitted shells. SEE ALSO
Commands: csh(1), ksh(1), Bourne shell sh(1b), POSIX shell sh(1p), passwd(1) Files: passwd(4), shells(4) Standards: standards(5) sh(1)