Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: true dummie calling
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers true dummie calling Post 302104888 by holyhive on Monday 29th of January 2007 10:15:16 AM
Old 01-29-2007
thanks!

Thank you for your speedy replies,
I'll try the vi and look at the "Unix System Administrator Handbook."

Unfortunately I found the MinGW installation process too confusing and daunting, being able to install cygwin directly from a single executable file was a great relief and although I don't know I think minGW is a linux emulator whereas cygwin emulates unix or they both do something in between, either way it's all in the unix tradition, I'm guessing the ease with which I'll acquire basic admin/command prompt skills won't be much affected.

At any rate, I'll see what I can do with what you've already told me.

Cheers

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Please help this Dummie

I am trying to integrate a Digital Unix Alpha server in a LAN that contains several NT severs. Could someone give me some advise on how to integrate Alpha server, so I can contact the Alpha from any NT and visa versa. Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Rmeyvogel
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dummie Question, Can anyone take a screen shot of a UNIX system?

Since i have never seen one of these systems, i am just curious of how it looks. Btw if unix is not a GUI then is it possible to take a screenshots (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Punk18
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dummie Please Help With Unix And Win Xp

Please help : I have a question i am just starting to study UNIX and i need some advice,as my teacher isn,t the helpful type. I have just formatted my pc and partitioned it with win98 and winxp, do i need to create a partion for UNIX ??? OR is UNIX run in whatever partion i want it ???? Will... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: DAFFYY30
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dummie: How do I get variables mid program

I'm writing a simple program in unix and was wondering how mid switch I can run a program and get someone to enter variables for it i.e.: #!/bin/csh -f echo "If you wish to do v press v" echo "If you wish to compile press c" echo "If you wish to add an entry press a" echo "If you wish to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: RichardB
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dummie question on ping (loopback)

what's the point of having loopback when you can just ping your local ip address? for example if my ip is 1.1.1.1, why can't i just do ping 5 1.1.1.1 instead of ping 5 127.0.1.1? it seems to me the only point in having it is for the sake of convenience? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jinduy
2 Replies

6. Linux

dummie questions

im a copletely newbie... i havent installed linux yet, but i wanna quit windows cuz i dont get it anymore... anything is better than this :mad: ... anyway...: does linux runs all file extensions thats windows does? i mean, .doc, .exe, .bat, .psp, etc? i reallly dunno how it works... normal... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: guare_skt
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

dummie ksh

Please help me with a newbie ksh question: I want a script in ksh (under Solaris 8 - SPARC) who runs a "ls -lR" command in some directory and it looks after all the files with the same date as the current one and/or created in the last 24 hours (or N hours). The script should do: - if no... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: heartwork
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

is it true or not

I have heard for a long time that in maybe 2039 Unix will no longer be useable due the length of the date value. Anyone know anything about this? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhlopomo
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linux Dummie Here!

I know absolutely NOTHING about Unix but want to learn. How should I go about learning it? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Gosade
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I'm a dummie!

Hi I was installing 10.04. At 38 minutes remaining it froze and stayed that way for about 2 hours. I shut it down and now It's "frozen" for lack of a better term. ubuntu screen comes up, goes to black screen with blinking cursor. Anyone? Thanks! ---------- Post updated at 08:03 PM ----------... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: martinnod
1 Replies
LEARN(1)						      General Commands Manual							  LEARN(1)

NAME
learn - computer aided instruction about UNIX SYNOPSIS
learn [ -directory ] [ subject [ lesson ] ] DESCRIPTION
Learn gives Computer Aided Instruction courses and practice in the use of UNIX, the C Shell, and the Berkeley text editors. To get started simply type learn. If you had used learn before and left your last session without completing a subject, the program will use information in $HOME/.learnrc to start you up in the same place you left off. Your first time through, learn will ask questions to find out what you want to do. Some questions may be bypassed by naming a subject, and more yet by naming a lesson. You may enter the lesson as a number that learn gave you in a previous session. If you do not know the lesson number, you may enter the lesson as a word, and learn will look for the first lesson containing it. If the lesson is `-', learn prompts for each lesson; this is useful for debugging. The subject's presently handled are files editor vi morefiles macros eqn C There are a few special commands. The command `bye' terminates a learn session and `where' tells you of your progress, with `where m' telling you more. The command `again' re-displays the text of the lesson and `again lesson' lets you review lesson. There is no way for learn to tell you the answers it expects in English, however, the command `hint' prints the last part of the lesson script used to evaluate a response, while `hint m' prints the whole lesson script. This is useful for debugging lessons and might possibly give you an idea about what it expects. The -directory option allows one to exercise a script in a nonstandard place. FILES
/usr/share/learn subtree for all dependent directories and files /usr/tmp/pl* playpen directories $HOME/.learnrc startup information SEE ALSO
csh(1), ex(1) B. W. Kernighan and M. E. Lesk, LEARN - Computer-Aided Instruction on UNIX BUGS
The main strength of learn, that it asks the student to use the real UNIX, also makes possible baffling mistakes. It is helpful, espe- cially for nonprogrammers, to have a UNIX initiate near at hand during the first sessions. Occasionally lessons are incorrect, sometimes because the local version of a command operates in a non-standard way. Occasionally a lesson script does not recognize all the different correct responses, in which case the `hint' command may be useful. Such lessons may be skipped with the `skip' command, but it takes some sophistication to recognize the situation. To find a lesson given as a word, learn does a simple fgrep(1) through the lessons. It is unclear whether this sort of subject indexing is better than none. Spawning a new shell is required for each of many user and internal functions. The `vi' lessons are provided separately from the others. To use them see your system administrator. 7th Edition October 22, 1996 LEARN(1)