Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Free Shell Accounts
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Free Shell Accounts Post 302101255 by kbrede on Friday 29th of December 2006 08:15:16 PM
Old 12-29-2006
There are various live Linux CDs that might work for you. Knoppix is one http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html

Have fun Smilie
Kent

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Where can I get a Free Shell Account?

I am new to UNIX and am interested to practice on a Shell account with some basic Unix installed, does anyone know of a free or cheap shell account? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shneurg
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can somebody advise any free Linux sever for shell programming?

Hi, everybody. I just wonder whether there are a couple of free Linux servers running as terminals where people can practice Unix Shell Programming? I'd like to set up one myself but unfortunatly can't do it. I can't switch to Linux now coz I run a couple of servers on my machine. Cygwin is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: belgampaul
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Free shell account from work office

How do I get a freeshell account from my office @ work? I've tried sdf.lonestar.org with no luck. Tha Geek (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: geek757
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a Shell script to create Multiple User Accounts

Hi All, Am New to shell scripting , Can u please Help me to Create a shell script which Creates Multiple Users (say up to 250 users) ,am using Rehat server 5 enterprise Edition .. I am really in need of this script So tat i can save time and effort for this Job .. KIndly help me Please ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rksubash
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

d. Write a shell script to count the number of accounts which belong to particular primary

guys, I am new shelll scripting.. this a question on passt exam paper, I was trying to solve it , I can not. the question is as follow? a. Write a shell script to count the number of accounts which belong to particular primary group in a standard UNIX system which uses local... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gurmad
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can't login to a free shell environment

I would like to practice shell scripting and need an environment - free shell account. I tried Arbornet and the freeshell.org. But both always give me error: "File operations disabled, server identity can't be verified". Any idea what I should do? thanks in advance. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: laiko
9 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Free shell account for UNIX.

Hi I want to practice UNIX on my computer. I need a free shell account.. tcsh - in specific .. anyone who can help? thanks in advance I googled it on the web- but was unable to download.. after clicking on each link.. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: swathi123
8 Replies
LEARN(1)						      General Commands Manual							  LEARN(1)

NAME
learn - computer aided instruction about UNIX SYNOPSIS
learn [ -directory ] [ subject [ lesson ] ] DESCRIPTION
Learn gives Computer Aided Instruction courses and practice in the use of UNIX, the C Shell, and the Berkeley text editors. To get started simply type learn. If you had used learn before and left your last session without completing a subject, the program will use information in $HOME/.learnrc to start you up in the same place you left off. Your first time through, learn will ask questions to find out what you want to do. Some questions may be bypassed by naming a subject, and more yet by naming a lesson. You may enter the lesson as a number that learn gave you in a previous session. If you do not know the lesson number, you may enter the lesson as a word, and learn will look for the first lesson containing it. If the lesson is `-', learn prompts for each lesson; this is useful for debugging. The subject's presently handled are files editor vi morefiles macros eqn C There are a few special commands. The command `bye' terminates a learn session and `where' tells you of your progress, with `where m' telling you more. The command `again' re-displays the text of the lesson and `again lesson' lets you review lesson. There is no way for learn to tell you the answers it expects in English, however, the command `hint' prints the last part of the lesson script used to evaluate a response, while `hint m' prints the whole lesson script. This is useful for debugging lessons and might possibly give you an idea about what it expects. The -directory option allows one to exercise a script in a nonstandard place. FILES
/usr/share/learn subtree for all dependent directories and files /usr/tmp/pl* playpen directories $HOME/.learnrc startup information SEE ALSO
csh(1), ex(1) B. W. Kernighan and M. E. Lesk, LEARN - Computer-Aided Instruction on UNIX BUGS
The main strength of learn, that it asks the student to use the real UNIX, also makes possible baffling mistakes. It is helpful, espe- cially for nonprogrammers, to have a UNIX initiate near at hand during the first sessions. Occasionally lessons are incorrect, sometimes because the local version of a command operates in a non-standard way. Occasionally a lesson script does not recognize all the different correct responses, in which case the `hint' command may be useful. Such lessons may be skipped with the `skip' command, but it takes some sophistication to recognize the situation. To find a lesson given as a word, learn does a simple fgrep(1) through the lessons. It is unclear whether this sort of subject indexing is better than none. Spawning a new shell is required for each of many user and internal functions. The `vi' lessons are provided separately from the others. To use them see your system administrator. 7th Edition October 22, 1996 LEARN(1)