Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Basic questions on writing a Unix Service (newbie help!) Post 302098694 by Rutland Gizz on Wednesday 6th of December 2006 02:59:38 AM
Old 12-06-2006
Basic questions on writing a Unix Service (newbie help!)

Hi there.

I've got 12 years experience writing C++ on Windows, and 3 years C# on Windows. Now my boss wants me to write a C++ app to run on Unix as a multithreaded 'service' (i.e. a program that runs with no user intervention).

Some quick questions for The Experts:

* Whats the best C++ compiler to use? I'm happy with ANSI compliant stuff.
* Whats the best editing/IDE environment to use? Please don't say VI as it's UI makes me ill. Something as close as possible to VS2005 would be nice Smilie
* Is there a special name for a service on Unix? Smilie
* Where would I start in writing a TSR type app (i.e. one that runs in the background on Unix)

Some good 'Unix programming for beginners' literature/websites wouldn't go amiss either.

Thanks in advance!
Gizz. Smilie

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Writing a .NET service to be Hosted in UNIX

Has anyone here written an MS compatible .NET service that is hosted and served from a UNIX server instead of a W2K server? I love programming and writing .NET services with Visual Studio.NET and C#, but there is a fundamental problem --the Win2k server itself. It is not near as reliable as Sun... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: yeslekmc
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

basic UNIX questions

Can somebody please tell me a little about UNIX OS. For instance, is it ideal for digital media or how easy is it to get help and support? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: buk5d
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Basic Unix Questions

OK, here's a question from a true UNIX newb: How does one make a 20 line file? I'm lost. :confused: OK, I figured it out. :D (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kitchen Zinc
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unix questions for newbie

Hi Unix gurus, I know these are some easy questions. But i just want to be sure about them. Hope someone can help explain the following please? 1) if ] - What does the "-r" means? 2) isql -U $DBUSER -D $DBNAME -S $DSQUERY -w 1000 -s";" << testfile > $FILE - What does the -s";" mean and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gholdbhurg
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

some basic questions about unix ..

Hi all today i gone through worst interview of my life that for hour questions were so basic but i never though about them now i am figuring out answers my self but i would appreciate if you ppl help me ... i am listing some of the questions i remember .. 1 ) $ cat a.sh #! /usr/bin/ksh... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zedex
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Couple of newbie Unix questions

I entered a command at the prompt and it's interactive (not background). It gathers some stats and writes them to a file. I want to see this job running and what it's doing - I/O especially and maybe CPU and stuff. What can do to see this (say using a second session?) I know it's a long job but... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ido1957
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Basic Newbie question

Hey guys I searched for this for the past few hours but maybe I dont know what the heck I am searching for. I am looking how to locate my .profile and where the heck I can find it to be able to edit it. Thanks in advance. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Koopa_Troopa
11 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

some basic unix questions pls iam a newbie

what is a assembler what isa interpreter what is a compiler what is a socket what is a port what is meant by listening to a port how we do it how to know version and standard of unix one is using when one is on public access unix account how to see a jobid in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scimitar
1 Replies
WRITE(1)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							  WRITE(1)

NAME
write - send a message to another user SYNOPSIS
write user [ttyname] DESCRIPTION
Write allows you to communicate with other users, by copying lines from your terminal to theirs. When you run the write command, the user you are writing to gets a message of the form: Message from yourname@yourhost on yourtty at hh:mm ... Any further lines you enter will be copied to the specified user's terminal. If the other user wants to reply, they must run write as well. When you are done, type an end-of-file or interrupt character. The other user will see the message EOF indicating that the conversation is over. You can prevent people (other than the super-user) from writing to you with the mesg(1) command. Some commands, for example nroff(1) and pr(1), may disallow writing automatically, so that your output isn't overwritten. If the user you want to write to is logged in on more than one terminal, you can specify which terminal to write to by specifying the ter- minal name as the second operand to the write command. Alternatively, you can let write select one of the terminals - it will pick the one with the shortest idle time. This is so that if the user is logged in at work and also dialed up from home, the message will go to the right place. The traditional protocol for writing to someone is that the string `-o', either at the end of a line or on a line by itself, means that it's the other person's turn to talk. The string `oo' means that the person believes the conversation to be over. SEE ALSO
mesg(1), talk(1), who(1) HISTORY
A write command appeared in Version 6 AT&T UNIX. AVAILABILITY
The write command is part of the util-linux-ng package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux-ng/. 12 March 1995 WRITE(1)