Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Where are the password saved in a UNIX server? Post 302093169 by kingdbag on Tuesday 17th of October 2006 05:42:45 PM
Old 10-17-2006
The traditional location for the Unix password file is /etc/passwd.

On a Unix system with either NIS/yp or password shadowing, much of the Unix password data may be stored elsewhere.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I inhereted a Unix server that is password protected...Help!

I inhereted a project server that has UNIX installed with a SCO OS. I am trying to learn UNIX but I cannot go beyond the password and login. The original engineers have left the company and nothing was ever written down. How can access our server? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fxsaint
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can I tranfer an OS/ Unix (from old HD to new HD / include all files saved )

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- How can I tranfer an OS/ Unix (from old HD to new HD / include all files saved ) Could anyone help me out. :confused: Thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vietnam
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to connect unix server to unix server through shell scripts

Hi, I would like to connect UNIX server to UNIX server through shell scripts and i have some concepts . But i am totally confused how to connect UNIX server to UNIX server throuth running a script. It will be greatful to me if any buddy will help me. Thanks in advance. Phatan:) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: phatan
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to update my account password on 100 unix server ?

Hi We have over 100 unix servers. They include linux,solaris,aix,hp and sgi. I use telnet for some and ssh for rest. Note: none of this server has expect which i can use to update.So i am looking for expert who can help me with their script or guide me write KSH script to automate this. Thank... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: humaurtum
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Connecting to multiple unix server from unix server using shell script

Hi Gurus, I'm a unix newbie and I would like to connect to multiple unix servers from unix server using shell script i.e from server a to server b,c,d etc. I want to copy the files from unix server a to server b, c, d. I can access staright using ssh without the need to have password and user... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sexyTrojan
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and delete files and folders which are n days older from one unix server to another unix server

Hi All, Let me know how can i find and delete files from one unix server to another unix server which are 'N' days older. Please note that I need to delete files on remote unix server.So, probably i will need to use sftp, but question is how can i identify files and folders which are 'N'... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sachinkl
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Script to get files from remote server to local server through sftp without prompting for password

Hi, I am trying to automate the process of fetching files from remote server to local server through sftp. I have the username and password for the remote solaris server. But I need to give password manually everytime i run the script. Can anyone help me in automating the script such that it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ssk250
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Connect to one server from other server without asking password

Hi , I am using redhat linux 5.I.I need a command or script which need to login from one server to another without asking password.This can be done even providing password on the command line is also fine.I have tries sshpass but it didn't work.ssh key generations is not preferred here. ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: muraliinfy04
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to scp File from root user in one server to say crt user in another server and avoid password?

Can someone help in writing some script through which I can transfer file (scp) from root user in abc server to crt user in hfg server and can give the crt user password in script itself so that it doesn't prompt me every time for password (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Moon1234
4 Replies

10. AIX

How to ssh from an AIX OS server to a Fabric OS server without password?

Hi I'd like to ssh from an AIX OS server ( v5.3) to a Fabric OS server ( v6.1.2 ) without password. I tried using dsa or rsa keys but it didn't work, the aix server still asked for the password. Somebody help, please :(:(:( (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobochacha29
8 Replies
yppasswd(1)							   User Commands						       yppasswd(1)

NAME
yppasswd - change your network password in the NIS database SYNOPSIS
yppasswd [username] DESCRIPTION
The yppasswd utility changes the network password associated with the user username in the Network Information Service (NIS) database. If the user has done a keylogin(1), and a publickey/secretkey pair exists for the user in the NIS publickey.byname map, yppasswd also re- encrypts the secretkey with the new password. The NIS password may be different from the local one on your own machine. yppasswd prompts for the old NIS password, and then for the new one. You must type in the old password correctly for the change to take effect. The new password must be typed twice, to forestall mistakes. New passwords must be at least four characters long, if they use a sufficiently rich alphabet, and at least six characters long if mono- case. These rules are relaxed if you are insistent enough. Only the owner of the name or the super-user may change a password; superuser on the root master will not be prompted for the old password, and does not need to follow password construction requirements. The NIS password daemon, rpc.yppasswdd must be running on your NIS server in order for the new password to take effect. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWnisu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
keylogin(1), login(1), NIS+(1), nispasswd(1), passwd(1), getpwnam(3C), getspnam(3C), secure_rpc(3NSL), nsswitch.conf(4), attributes(5) WARNINGS
Even after the user has successfully changed his or her password using this command, the subsequent login(1) using the new password will be successful only if the user's password and shadow information is obtained from NIS. See getpwnam(3C), getspnam(3C), and nsswitch.conf(4). NOTES
The use of yppasswd is discouraged, as it is now only a wrapper around the passwd(1) command, which should be used instead. Using passwd(1) with the -r nis option (see NIS+(1)) will achieve the same results, and will be consistent across all the different name services avail- able. BUGS
The update protocol passes all the information to the server in one RPC call, without ever looking at it. Thus, if you type your old pass- word incorrectly, you will not be notified until after you have entered your new password. SunOS 5.11 28 Nov 2001 yppasswd(1)