Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers recovering files removed with rm Post 302088928 by jack1981 on Friday 15th of September 2006 06:35:56 AM
Old 09-15-2006
using putty client to connect to a redhat server using the bash shell

Code:
 Note that if you use rm to remove a file, it is usually possible to recover the contents of that file.  If you want more assurance that
       the contents are truly unrecoverable, consider using shred.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bring back removed files

Dear People I have removed some of my files and directories( by using rm and rmdir commands) by mistake. I wish to bring them back. How is it possible?( I am using solaris 2.6) best regards Reza Nazarian:( (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Reza Nazarian
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Recovering lost files

I noticed this in a search for more security tools... It IS possible to "undelete" a file; I suppose recover would be a better term for it. I suppose we've all made the boo-boo (that we all hopefully learned from) of deleting a file, and finding that you do not have a backup. I wouldn't... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: LivinFree
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Will Old Files Be Removed

I have windows Xp installed, and decided to install Solaris Sun Unix 10. The hard disk was previousely partitioned into 5 partition. C: = Win98 D = WinXP and e,f,g,h are applications and so on. When istalling Sun Unix, will all the drives be removed, or I will specify where to install it. Thanks... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunsation
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Recovering lost folders/files data

Hello, Is there a way to recover data from a SCO UNIXWARE 7.4 operating system without using a tape backup device? We believe there is some data in some directories that was there once; but not anymore, we don't have a backup on tape. So, is there any other solution to recover? Hope... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yorgy
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

can I view removed/deleted files

I have a script that have deleted some files, and I need to know which files were deleted. Is there a log file in linux that shows deleted files? I use ubuntu. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: locoroco
2 Replies

6. HP-UX

Recovering files from unbootable disk in HPUX 9

First of all, forgive me if I come off as naive. Normally I'm doing day-to-day management of a Server 2008 network, so HP-UX isn't exactly my forte. We have several HP 715/100 machines running UX 9.x, and recently one of them stopped being able to boot. In the boot menu the disk shows up with... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: GoldnPantaloons
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging few files into one, duplicates are removed

Hello, I have few file such as below: abc.txt def.txt ghi.txt jkl.txt n.txt I would like to merge all these files together into one file. At the same time, any duplicates will be removed. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: alegnagrp
5 Replies

8. Red Hat

Can all files under /tmp be safely removed

I wanted to know whether all files under /tmp can be safely removed. I guess that /tmp may also have temporary files for applications currently being worked on, so at the most those applications may just shut down. I hope that my question is clear whether all files under /tmp can be safely... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: RHCE
5 Replies
SHRED(1)							   User Commands							  SHRED(1)

NAME
shred - overwrite a file to hide its contents, and optionally delete it SYNOPSIS
shred [OPTION]... FILE... DESCRIPTION
Overwrite the specified FILE(s) repeatedly, in order to make it harder for even very expensive hardware probing to recover the data. Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. -f, --force change permissions to allow writing if necessary -n, --iterations=N overwrite N times instead of the default (3) --random-source=FILE get random bytes from FILE -s, --size=N shred this many bytes (suffixes like K, M, G accepted) -u, --remove[=HOW] truncate and remove file after overwriting; See below -v, --verbose show progress -x, --exact do not round file sizes up to the next full block; this is the default for non-regular files -z, --zero add a final overwrite with zeros to hide shredding --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit If FILE is -, shred standard output. Delete FILE(s) if --remove (-u) is specified. The default is not to remove the files because it is common to operate on device files like /dev/hda, and those files usually should not be removed. The optional HOW parameter indicates how to remove a directory entry: 'unlink' => use a standard unlink call. 'wipe' => also first obfuscate bytes in the name. 'wipesync' => also sync each obfuscated byte to disk. The default mode is 'wipesync', but note it can be expensive. CAUTION: Note that shred relies on a very important assumption: that the file system overwrites data in place. This is the traditional way to do things, but many modern file system designs do not satisfy this assumption. The following are examples of file systems on which shred is not effective, or is not guaranteed to be effective in all file system modes: * log-structured or journaled file systems, such as those supplied with AIX and Solaris (and JFS, ReiserFS, XFS, Ext3, etc.) * file systems that write redundant data and carry on even if some writes fail, such as RAID-based file systems * file systems that make snapshots, such as Network Appliance's NFS server * file systems that cache in temporary locations, such as NFS version 3 clients * compressed file systems In the case of ext3 file systems, the above disclaimer applies (and shred is thus of limited effectiveness) only in data=journal mode, which journals file data in addition to just metadata. In both the data=ordered (default) and data=writeback modes, shred works as usual. Ext3 journaling modes can be changed by adding the data=something option to the mount options for a particular file system in the /etc/fstab file, as documented in the mount man page (man mount). In addition, file system backups and remote mirrors may contain copies of the file that cannot be removed, and that will allow a shredded file to be recovered later. GNU coreutils online help: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> Report shred translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> AUTHOR
Written by Colin Plumb. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2013 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for shred is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and shred programs are properly installed at your site, the command info coreutils 'shred invocation' should give you access to the complete manual. GNU coreutils 8.22 June 2014 SHRED(1)