Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting replacing a string in all files in a dir Post 302081471 by jim mcnamara on Tuesday 25th of July 2006 02:17:50 PM
Old 07-25-2006
Code:
find /directory -type -f | \
while read file
do
     sed 's/string1/string2/g' "$file" > ./tmpfile
     mv ./tmpfile "$file"
done

start with this - it changes string1 -> string2 in every file in /directory and all of the sub-directories of /directory

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

replacing corrupt /tmp dir..

dear unix members... i have just got done dealing with the worst problem i have dealt with in my two years of unix... on my fedora core 3 2.6.9-1.667 #1 Tue Nov 2 14:41:25 EST 2004 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux... the /tmp directory went stale about a month ago.. i had both gnome desktop anf kde... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: moxxx68
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing string in files

Hi, I Have 10 files ,I need replace $INPUT_LOCATION with $INPUT_LOCATION_upd .using sed command do it single file .How can change all files in single shot instead of doing individual file sed -s'/old/new/g' file1 Thanks, Mohan (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohan705
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

renaming multiple files while replacing string

hi, i've found a few examples of scripts to do this but for some reason can't get them to work properly. basically i have some dirs with a few hundred files mixed in with a bunch of other files that were made with a typo in part of them. long-file-names-tyo-example.ext want to be able... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kevin9
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing string in multiple files

Hi, I need to replace the string 'abcd' with 'xyz' in a file sample.xml This sample.xml is also present in the subdirectories of the current directory. Eg, If I am in /user/home/ the sample.xml if present in /user/home/ /user/home/folder1/ /user/home/folder2/... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arulanandsp
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace string in multiple files, dir and subdir

Hello, I have a directory www with multiple directories. Every directory has site name with .htm, .html, .php files or sub directories with .htm, .php, .html file as example - www - sitename 1 - site 1 - sitename 2 - sitename 3 What I'm looking for is a... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: andyjill
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

find string from multiple dir and redirect to new files

Hi, I am new to script and I want find one string from multiple files in diff directories and put that out put to new file. Like I have A,B & C directories and each has multiple files but one file is unic in all the directories like COMM.txt Now I want write script to find the string... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mahessh123
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replacing a particular string in all files in folder and file contents

I need to replace all filesnames in a folder as well as its content from AK6 to AK11. Eg Folder has files AK6-Create.xml, AK6-system.py etc.. the files names as well as contents should be changes to AK9-Create.xml, AK9-system.py etc All files are xml and python scripts. ---------- Post... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Candid247
0 Replies

8. Solaris

Replacing a string in a long list of files

I have a script that needs to read a file with a long list of /path/filenames - replace the name of the server in each file - and write the file to the same path with a date extension. This is the script that I have so far #!/bin/ksh umask 022 LIST=`scripts.list` for i in $LIST do ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bjdamon
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace a string in files in all dir and sub dirs

Hello, I need to replace xml version='1.1' with xml version='1.0' in all xml files under /app/jenkins/ in all dir and sub dirs in my CentOS VM, I tried below command but it didn't help, looks like I'm missing a character somewhere. grep -rl "xml version='1.1'" . | xargs sed -i 's/"xml... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahesh Madpathi
2 Replies

10. AIX

Assign read write permission to the user for specific dir and it's sub dir and files in AIX

I have searched this quite a long time but couldn't find the right method for me to use. I need to assign read write permission to the user for specific directories and it's sub directories and files. I do not want to use ACL. I do not want to assign user the same group of that directories too.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: blinkingdan
0 Replies
TR(1)							      General Commands Manual							     TR(1)

NAME
tr - translate characters SYNOPSIS
tr [ -cds ] [ string1 [ string2 ] ] DESCRIPTION
Tr copies the standard input to the standard output with substitution or deletion of selected characters. Input characters found in string1 are mapped into the corresponding characters of string2. When string2 is short it is padded to the length of string1 by duplicat- ing its last character. Any combination of the options -cds may be used: -c complements the set of characters in string1 with respect to the universe of characters whose ASCII codes are 01 through 0377 octal; -d deletes all input characters in string1; -s squeezes all strings of repeated output characters that are in string2 to single characters. In either string the notation a-b means a range of characters from a to b in increasing ASCII order. The character `' followed by 1, 2 or 3 octal digits stands for the character whose ASCII code is given by those digits. A `' followed by any other character stands for that character. The following example creates a list of all the words in `file1' one per line in `file2', where a word is taken to be a maximal string of alphabetics. The second string is quoted to protect `' from the Shell. 012 is the ASCII code for newline. tr -cs A-Za-z '12' <file1 >file2 SEE ALSO
ed(1), ascii(7), expand(1) BUGS
Won't handle ASCII NUL in string1 or string2; always deletes NUL from input. 7th Edition April 29, 1985 TR(1)