Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Need Help with Unix/AIX functionality Post 302080343 by dkeaton on Monday 17th of July 2006 09:58:18 PM
Old 07-17-2006
Question Need Help with Unix/AIX functionality

I'll start this out by saying that I'm super-new to UNIX and need some help. My setup is as follows:

I am currently running 3 UNIX boxes, 2 application servers and 1 db server. The first application server is my production box, the second application server is my test box, and the db server houses the data for both of the application servers.

I did not set any of this up (I promise...)

Currently, my test region is housing 4 different environments: Test, Train, 5.3 Test and 5.4 Test (different versions). Because of this, I know that I can partition the Application box into different environments.

As part of a contingency plan (In case an automatic data load doesn't work) I need to create an exactly duplicated partition of my current Production environment with absolutely no data. In this partitioned environment, I want to allow users to enter approximately 200,000 records manually and house this information. Meanwhile, I will be attempting to electronically transfer this same data into the original production environment.

Enough for the background, here's the question:
Can I keep that data there and dump it on my deadline into the production box IF the electronic data transfer doesn't work? Please contact me via e-mail if you need more information. I'm desperate!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Date functionality

Hi, Could someone help me to get yesterday's date in MMDDYY format. echo `date '+%m%d%y'` is giving me today's date in the above format. Thanks in advance for your help.. Suresh. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: svannala1
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed functionality

I have a few xml files and I want to input say 5 parameters within each file. is it possible to do so with sed? <parameter>A</parameter> <parameter>B</parameter> .... .... And so on. These parameters are meant to go in just inside: <?xml... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: collern2
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Restartibility Functionality....

Hello, I am trying to write a script that has a option of restarting the script from where it failed. I have to write a script called Batch.sh. This script has to run quite a few sql files as shown below: logcmd.sh -f test1.sql logcmd.sh -f test2.sql logcmd.sh -f test3.sql logcmd.sh -f... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rkumar28
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

using functionality in another ksh

i have a function defined in one ksh i want to use the same functionality in another ksh i am using . ../<ksh name> but it is not picking that functionality what i have to do for the same (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: trichyselva
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Functionality of ant build and ant deploy unix commands

I have made some code changes in the corresponding java file for date formatting purpose so that it supports upgraded sybase version from 12.6 to 12.7 and have build the code and deployed using the following UNIX commands. ant build ant deploy. "ant build" executes the build.xml which is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vmpcit
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pipe Functionality

Hi, I am trying to emulate the '|' functionality through pipe function call. I am passing the o/p of exec in parent as input to the exec in child. The buf is readin the o/p but the exec in child is not working. Can somebody checkout the code and point where am i going wrong or missing something.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amejoish
3 Replies

7. AIX

Get Next month in AIX from curent date in unix AIX

How could we derive teh Next month in MON-RR format from current date ie sysdate in UNI AIX sheel script.I coould get a command but i supports only inLinux susse andnotin AIX. I need for Unix AIX.Pls Help. Regards Shiv (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SHIV75
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trigger functionality in Unix

Hi, I want a script , which searches the log for the term/phrase "JFSnapshotService::systemSnapshot: Starting data capture. This may take awhile depending upon system workload." and if there is some logging like this, it has to mail me that this data capture process is happening., Below is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cratercrabs
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command Functionality

Hi everyone, today i need that someone help to understand this particular line of command. So you can explain to me step by step, it will be great. ---------- Post updated at 11:53 AM ---------- Previous update was at 11:51 AM ---------- (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Newer
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Zip -r Functionality

Hi , I've written the following code to zip the big file $dir_temp ="/home/etc/hst zip -r $dir_temp/file_nm.zip $dir_temp/file_nm The zip file has been created . When I try to UNZIP the file with the following command unzip file_nm.zip The file got unzipped but created in the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: smile689
3 Replies
setup(8)						      System Manager's Manual							  setup(8)

NAME
setup - invokes a system setup menu for console and workstation displays without graphics capabilities SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/setup DESCRIPTION
Use this application to do initial installation and configuration of your system. You must have superuser or root privileges to invoke the Setup menu. If your system does not have graphics capabilities, or if you are using a remote character-cell terminal window such as a PC terminal emu- lator, use the Setup menu to invoke the Custom Setup menu and use its various system setup applications to set up your Tru64 UNIX system for general use. In this release, invoking Setup runs the Custom Setup interfaces, which are character-cell variants of the SysMan tools that you can use to configure and manage your system. These interfaces can also be invoked in a window environment on a PC or on other X-compliant window environments. The available menu options depend on which subsets were installed during system installation. Refer to the Methods chapter of the System Administration for additional information. In previous releases, invoking the Setup menu provided access to scripts which prompted you to enter configuration information, such as a TCP/IP address during network configuration (netsetup). These scripts enabled you to set up subsystems -- networking, printers, and mail, add user accounts, install Product Authorization Keys (PAKs), and so on. If you require the original scripts to support your site-specific setup procedures, you can install the scripts as described in the rele- vant reference page for a script. Refer to the Installation Guide For information on installing the OSRETIREDxxx subsets. Using Quick Setup If your system has graphics capabilities, the preferred method to perform system setup is through the Custom Setup Checklist as follows: After a full installation, the Quick Setup interface is displayed automatically. Quick Setup is a step-by-step procedure that prompts you for the basic information required to configure your system for use. This option is particularly convenient and fast for a desktop system, and for users who are not very experienced in configuring systems. Note that Quick Setup is primarily used to configure the network and related subsystems. You may also need to manually configure other subsystems or add options later. (For example, If your system is a client in a client-server environment, you may need to re-run certain applications later to add alternative host servers.) To do this, you use the Custom Setup described in the next section. At any other time after installation, the Custom Setup Checklist is provided for ini- tial configuration or modification of a subsystem. You can still opt for an automated Quick Setup, or choose Custom Setup for larger system configurations or specific site requirements. Custom Setup allows you to select applications from the checklist by clicking on the corre- sponding icon. When you choose an application, the appropriate application from the Custom Setup menu will be invoked. To invoke the Custom Setup Checklist from the command line, enter /usr/sbin/checklist. Note that online help is available when using the interfaces, and you should refer to the appropriate user guides in the documentation set for additional information. EXAMPLES
This example invokes the Setup menu from the root system prompt: # /usr/sbin/setup A menu similar to the following is displayed: Tru64 UNIX: Custom Setup Tru64 UNIX Custom Setup helps you set up your system. Quick Setup leads you through a set of steps to set up a typical UNIX system. This includes networking, user services, time services, printers, and other basics. Custom Setup examines your system and lists the relevant tasks for configuring your computer. These tasks are listed in the order most fre- quently performed You can run Quick Setup to get a basic configuration and then use Custom Setup for any atypical configuration settings. 1) Quick Setup 2) Custom Setup 3) Exit Please enter your selection: If you select Quick Setup, an Initializing message is displayed for several seconds, followed by the first prompt screen: Tru64 UNIX: Quick Setup Quick Setup helps you set up a typical UNIX system. It leads you step by step through the following common tasks: ****************************************************************************** Step 1: Enter basic license information Step 2: Set up the system's Network Interface Card (NIC) Step 3: Set up static network routing Step 4: Specify a Domain Name Service (DNS/BIND) server Step 5: Specify a Network Time Protocol (NTP) server Step 6: Specify a Network Information Service (NIS) server Step 7: Set up Network File System (NFS) services Step 8: Specify an E-Mail server Step 9: Specify a default printer and its server ****************************************************************************** You can skip any step. No action is performed until you review and approve a summary of the setup at the end of Quick Setup. Click on "Details..." to see the information Quick Setup requests. Click on "Next >" to start setting up this system. ================ <CTRL-G> FOR KEYBOARD HELP ================== [Next >] Details... Cancel Help If you select Custom Setup, a menu similar to the following is displayed: Tru64 UNIX: Custom Setup Use the following menu to set up your system and network. When you select an item, you will be asked a series of questions. For more information about the items on the menu and the questions you must answer, see the System Administration and Network Administra- tion guides. 1) License Manager 10) UUCP Configuration 2) Network Configuration Step by Step 11) Printer Configuration 3) NIS Configuration 12) Security Configuration 4) NFS Configuration 13) Security Auditing Configuration 5) NTP Configuration 14) DOP Configuration 6) PPP Configuration 15) Prestoserve I/O Acceleration Confi 7) SLIP Information 16) GUI Selection 8) Account Manager 17) Exit 9) LAT Configuration SEE ALSO
Commands: adduser(8), bindsetup(8), lmfsetup(8), lprsetup(8), netsetup(8), nfssetup(8), nissetup(8), ntpsetup(8), siainit(8), strsetup(8), uucpsetup(8), netconfig(8), bindconfig(8), nfsconfig(8), dxlicenses(8), mailconfig(8), printconfig(8), dxaccounts(8), sysman(8), sys- man_clone(8), and sysman_intro(8) Installation Guide Network Administration System Administration Software License Management setup(8)