Sponsored Content
Special Forums UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers KDE Kicker toolbar has dissapeared??? Post 302078411 by aleric on Friday 30th of June 2006 07:53:34 AM
Old 06-30-2006
kicker / kpanel unhiding bug on dual monitor (keywords: appear hide edge mouse)

When I solve a problem, I often add the solution to some forum, so the answer
will be in Google for others. So, here it goes:

After upgrading KDE (using yum), and restarting KDE, the kicker kpanel - set to
appear on the right edge of my dual monitor (twinview) desktop setup, appears
and hides. After that you cannot unhide it.

I found that the solution was to kill kicker (using 'ps' to get the PID), then edit
~/.kde/share/config/kickerrc and set UnhideLocation=0, and then restart
kicker from the commandline.

The reason it (probably) didn't work anymore is because it was set to 8. In the
'configure panel...''hiding' window this is the "Raise when the pointer touches the
screen's: Left Edge". Normally it isn't necessary to check this checkbox (unchecking
is setting UnhideLocation=0). Because it was set to 'LeftEdge' and my panel is on
the right edge AND hidden AND(?) I have a dual monitor setup - it didn't appear
at all anymore. Choosing 'RightEdge' (or BottomEdge etc) still works for me.

Carlo Wood

3 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

HP-UX toolbar help

Hi all, I am trying to set some icons in the toolbar thingy (HP-UX 10.2). I used the Toolboxes->Personal to help me setup, but it put the program icon in the personal toolbox folder. So I dragged it out to the Desktop. Now I've a link on a Desktop. Any ideas on how to create directly on to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nitin
2 Replies

2. What is on Your Mind?

Should We Keep or Drop the Bottom Toolbar?

Well, it's been a few months now since we started running the toolbar on the bottom with some navigation menu, search, link to code tag video, some social networking tools, etc. So, the question of the day is: Should we keep it, maybe develop more toolbar apps, or dump it? Please vote ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
13 Replies

3. What is on Your Mind?

Change Toolbar to Opt In?

Hey! I'm thinking we should change the toolbar to "opt in" and have it off for members by default? But then, the would not have toolbar access to the code tag videos, etc. so then I thought to make it "opt in" after say 30 posts. That way, the toolbar will show to all new users with less... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
5 Replies
gnome-background-properties(1)					   User Commands				    gnome-background-properties(1)

NAME
gnome-background-properties - customize your desktop background SYNOPSIS
gnome-background-properties [gnome-std-options] DESCRIPTION
The Background preferences tool allows you to customize the desktop background. The desktop background is the part of the desktop where there are no interface graphical items, such as panels and windows. The desktop background is always beneath the other interface items. You can customize the desktop background in the following ways: o Select an image to display on the desktop background. The image is superimposed on the desktop background color. The desktop back- ground color is visible if you select a transparent image or if the image does not cover the entire desktop background. o Select a color for the desktop background. You can select a solid color, or create a gradient effect with two colors. A gradient effect is a visual effect where one color blends gradually into another color. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: gnome-std-optionStandard options available for use with most GNOME applications. See gnome-std-options(5). EXAMPLES
Example 1: Launching the background preference tool example% gnome-background-properties EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Application exited successfully >0 Application exited with failure FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/gnome-backgrounExecutableefor Background preferences tool ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+------------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+------------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWgnome-desktop-preferences | +-----------------------------+------------------------------+ |Interface stability |External | +-----------------------------+------------------------------+ SEE ALSO
Preference Tools Manual Latest version of the GNOME Desktop User Guide for your platform. gnome-control-center(1), gnome-std-options(5) NOTES
Written by Glynn Foster, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2003. SunOS 5.10 2 Oct 2003 gnome-background-properties(1)