Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Query on a shell script logic Post 302078344 by tipsy on Thursday 29th of June 2006 04:15:13 PM
Old 06-29-2006
MySQL Query on a shell script logic

Hello people,
I am new to shell scripting and hoping to get a quick answer to my query.
I am writing a simple script which needs to call an executale which generates an output file. Once the output file is generated I have to do a couple of more task with that file. The executable ideally takes 2 to 3 minutes to finish execution.
My question is
- Should I call the executable & once done look for the output file to do the next steps.
Or
- Should I run the executable as a backgound process using "&" and then have a loop which will keep checking whether the output file is generated.

Is there any drawbacks with following either of these approaches.

Any inputs would be highly appreciated.

Regards,
Tipsy

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

C Shell Script query

Hi I need a small help Cshell% more abc.txt ******** Cshell% cat abc.txt | cut -c1-3 *** Cshell%set test3=`cat abc.txt | cut -c1-3` Cshell%echo $test3 a.txt b.txt................. ..... It displays all the file in the current directory. I want *** to be displayed. Can any one of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bpupdown
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell script query

Hi, I am stuck assigning a value to a variable. I am trying to assign a value to a variable but getting error.... IP_ADDR=grep 'I.P. Address' /install/cfgdist/`uname -n`.cfg | cut -d : -f 2| cut -d . -f 1-3| sed s/" "//g I am using this script to grep first three octets of an IP address... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: max29583
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script query

hi all i have a shell script for connecting in sybase env what i need is i have around 10 servers , i need to connect to all servers and retrive the database inforamtion in the servers and display them any one of u have it request to share it asap ! "QUERY TO Connect to all servers... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mvsramarao
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Logic in Shell script required

Hi, I have the following in my shell script sqlplus << EOF username/password @$SCRIPTS_DIR/refresh.sql > /home/oracle/sql/refreshsql.log EOF RETCODE=$? if ; then echo "ERROR: sqlplus command finished with error code {RETCODE}" /usr/bin/mailx -s "REFRESHING FMLA CONTACT... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: welldone
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Query Oracle tables and return values to shell script that calls the query

Hi, I have a requirement as below which needs to be done viz UNIX shell script (1) I have to connect to an Oracle database (2) Exexute "SELECT field_status from table 1" query on one of the tables. (3) Based on the result that I get from point (2), I have to update another table in the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: balaeswari
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Restart Logic for a Korn Shell Master Script

Hello All, I was wondering if someone can help me to develop restart logic for a Korn Shell program (a master script) that I am developing. The program is design to invoke a series of child processes (Korn Shell Scripts) whose function is to create a series of load files on a specified mount... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jonesdk5
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script query

Hi Admins, I was trying to list the failed logins as part of my daily checklist. Here is my script for i in `who -s /etc/security/failedlogins|tail -100|grep "$dt"|awk '{print $1" "$6}'` do a=`echo $i|wc -l` if then echo $i else echo "There are no failed logins" fi done but... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: newaix
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to execute Oracle query taking input from a file to form query

Hi, I need to query Oracle database for 100 users. I have these 100 users in a file. I need a shell script which would read this User file (one user at a time) & query database. For instance: USER CITY --------- ---------- A CITY_A B CITY_B C ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DevendraG
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with shell script on Month Changing Logic

Hi Unix Experts, Happy Morning to all !! :) I am new to UNIX Shell Scripting and at my begineer level. To get acquainted to scripting, I am trying to create a script. The details/requirements of my script was to create a script with month changing logic in it so that on every 6th Working... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: micky3112
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script logic

Hi I have a requirement where I have to generate a mail/alert to the user if any QA check is failed. our oracle jobs run in unix environment and log file is created . Sample is given below . SELECT * FROM product.fact_tally WHERE period_id = '20130401' ; LIMIT 5; Ideally the above... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: systemee
4 Replies
vsig(1F)							   FMLI Commands							  vsig(1F)

NAME
vsig - synchronize a co-process with the controlling FMLI application SYNOPSIS
vsig DESCRIPTION
The vsig executable sends a SIGUSR2 signal to the controlling FMLI process. This signal/alarm causes FMLI to execute the FMLI built-in command checkworld which causes all posted objects with a reread descriptor evaluating to TRUE to be reread. vsig takes no arguments. EXAMPLES
Example 1: A sample output of vsig command. The following is a segment of a shell program: echo "Sending this string to an FMLI process" vsig The vsig executable will flush the output buffer before it sends the SIGUSR2 signal to make sure the string is actually in the pipe created by the cocreate function. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWesu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
coproc(1F), kill(1), kill(2), signal(3C), attributes(5) NOTES
Because vsig synchronize with FMLI, it should be used rather than kill to send a SIGUSR2 signal to FMLI. SunOS 5.10 5 Jul 1990 vsig(1F)