Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: wiping hard drive
Operating Systems Solaris wiping hard drive Post 302075736 by dangral on Tuesday 6th of June 2006 01:50:15 PM
Old 06-06-2006
Thanks everyone.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Wiping UNIX Hard Drive

Hello all, Maybe someone can help? Please?!?!? How do I wipe a UNIX hard drive, For dos I use Norton. Is there something like that for UNIX. I am just barley understanding UNIX, so please forgive my ignorance. Also, is there a government approved method of sanitization? Thanks (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: rocky123
10 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I Want To Automount My Hard Drive!!!

:confused: Im as newbie as they come....... I just loaded Red Hat 8.0 on my computer. I have a second hard drive that i reformatted with a Fat32 so I could share it with my XP and Linux partions....... I have like 4000 mp3's on it and i would like to get it to auto mount when Linux boots....? Or... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mynameiskyle
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

currupted my hard drive

Hello, earlier tonight I was installing BETA version of Mandrake Linux 9.0 and I realised I needed to partition my drive. I tried making the partition within mandrake but ther wasnt an option within the mandrake setup. So i go into my WindowsXP and do the disk management option but there want a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: xcaliber
5 Replies

4. Linux

hard drive specs?

Does anybody know what command will bring up my harddrive and how much room is left on it? (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: byblyk
13 Replies

5. SCO

Processor and Hard Drive

I trying to learn Unix and I am using SCO Unixware 7.1. Below are three question that I have: 1) Can someone tell me what command I can use to find out the system processor speed. 2) Can someone tell me what command I can use to find out what's the hard drive size of my unix box. 3) Can... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: etaup02
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trying to copy old hard drive to new hard drive.

:confused: ........I have a new hard drive and I need to copy ALL info from the old to the new. I would like to use the dd command. I know the command is as follows...... dd if=/dev/rdsk/c1t1d0s0 of=/dev/rdsk/???????? Where I have the question marks is the problem. How do I find out what the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shorty
4 Replies

7. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

The best partitioning schem for a 250GB Sata hard drive & a 75GB SCSI hard drive

Hi I have 2 75GB SCSI hard drives and 2 250GB SATA hard drives which are using RAID Level 1 respectively. I wana have both FTP and Apache installed on them as services. I'm wondering what's the best partitioning schem? I wana use FC3 as my OS, so, I thought I can use the 75GB hard drive as the /... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sirbijan
0 Replies

8. Solaris

Using the rest of my hard drive

Hi When I installed opensolaris, I installed it on a 20GB partition. How do I make use of the other 300GB I have spare? format shows:- -bash-3.2# format Searching for disks...done AVAILABLE DISK SELECTIONS: 0. c3d0 <DEFAULT cyl 2607 alt 2 hd 255 sec 63> ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: hellotommy
12 Replies
RK(4)							     Kernel Interfaces Manual							     RK(4)

NAME
rk - RK-11/RK05 disk SYNOPSIS
/sys/conf/SYSTEM: NRK rk_drives # RK05 /etc/dtab: #Name Unit# Addr Vector Br Handler(s) # Comments rk ? 177400 220 5 rkintr # rk05 major device number(s): raw: 15 block: 6 minor device encoding: specifies drive: <rk_drive> DESCRIPTION
Minor device numbers are drive numbers on one controller. The standard device names begin with ``rk'' followed by the drive number and then the letter "h". The character ? stands here for a drive number in the range 0-7. The block files access the disk via the system's normal buffering mechanism and may be read and written without regard to physical disk records. There is also a `raw' interface which provides for direct transmission between the disk and the user's read or write buffer. A single read or write call results in exactly one I/O operation and therefore raw I/O is considerably more efficient when many words are transmitted. The names of the raw files conventionally begin with an extra `r.' In raw I/O the buffer must begin on a word (even) boundary, and counts should be a multiple of 512 bytes (a disk sector). Likewise seek calls should specify a multiple of 512 bytes. DISK SUPPORT
The rk driver does not support pseudo-disks (partitions). Each file rk?h refers to the entire drive as a single sequentially addressed file. Each drive has 4872 512-byte blocks. It's not clear what one would do with one of these drives if one had one ... FILES
/dev/rk[0-7]h block files /dev/rrk[0-7]h raw files /dev/MAKEDEV script to create special files /dev/MAKEDEV.local script to localize special files SEE ALSO
hk(4), ra(4), ram(4), rl(4), rp(4), rx(4), si(4), xp(4), dtab(5), autoconfig(8) DIAGNOSTICS
rk%d: hard error sn%d er=%b ds=%b. An unrecoverable error occurred during transfer of the specified sector of the specified disk. The contents of the two error registers are also printed in octal and symbolically with bits decoded. The error was either unrecoverable, or a large number of retry attempts could not recover the error. rk%d: write locked. The write protect switch was set on the drive when a write was attempted. The write operation is not recoverable. BUGS
In raw I/O read and write(2) truncate file offsets to 512-byte block boundaries, and write scribbles on the tail of incomplete blocks. Thus, in programs that are likely to access raw devices, read, write and lseek(2) should always deal in 512-byte multiples. DEC-standard error logging should be supported. A program to analyze the logged error information (even in its present reduced form) is needed. 3rd Berkeley Distribution August 20, 1987 RK(4)