Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Simple script loop question
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Simple script loop question Post 302073688 by mattlock73 on Tuesday 16th of May 2006 11:28:26 PM
Old 05-17-2006
Simple script loop question

Hey all. Thanks in advance for any help you can give, hopefully this is an easy one. I want to create a loop to run a simple performance monitor like vmstat and record it to a file, but have very limited scripting skills (obviously).

Starting with this...

date >> /var/log/perfmon.log
vmstat 3 10 >> /var/log/perfmon.log

I basically want it to sleep for 5 minutes using sleep 300, but how do I start the process again (restart the loop)?

Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple while loop question

I have written a script that countsdown from 20 to 1 and has a sleep in between each count but I want to make it sleep for half a second but I get errors whenever I change the sleep from 1 second to half a second any ideas? I am using Sun OS 5.9 heres what I've got: X=0 while do echo... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Brokeback
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple for script question

I haven't done any scripting for quite a while and was trying to remember how to do a script with a for loop that uses another command for input straight from the terminal, IE: for num in `cat somefile | awk <whatever>` do echo $num; echo blah; echo blahblah; done; Hopefully something quick... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vryali
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple for loop question

Hello I am a beginner of shell scripting and i am having trouble to do a for loop. I want a for loop to do stuff 3 times. i.e. in visual basic i do this for (counter = 0; counter < 3; counter++) on my shell script i have something like this at the moment ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: arex876
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple LOOP script help

I am trying to create a simple ksh loop script. What I've pasted below is not working. Any help is appreciated. typeset -i count typeset -i tcount count=0 tcount=0 while $tcount >= 11 do print "\$count is $count" pwd ls -l sleep 30 $(( $tcount = $count + 1 )) ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: musikman65
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

really simple for loop question

apologies for the basicness of this question, but within a for loop how can i "list" my values as opposed to adding them to the same line for example if i use this it works fine for n in peter paul david do echo "my name is $n" done but i wanted to list my items ( i have quite a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rethink
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

simple script with while loop getting problem

Hello forum memebers. can you correct the simple while program. #! /bin/ksh count=10 while do echo $count count='expr$count-1' done I think it will print 10 to 1 numbers but it running for indefinite times. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajkumar_g
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple while read line loop question

#!/bin/bash count=1 while read line do if (($count > 4)); then awk -v var1="$count" '{printf "%3s%8s%11s%11s%11s\n",var1,$2,$3,$4,$5}' else echo $line fi count=$((count+1)) done < posre_sub.itp > test cat test INPUT: ; position restraints for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: origamisven
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

simple while loop script to check a connection

Hi, I am completely new to shell scripting. Basically I am wanting to create a simple while loop script to check if a network connection is available from 'netstat -a' and if its present then output a character to the serial port. I think i am nearly there.. but need some assistance.. this is... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: zippyzip
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Simple script not working- for loop

Hi all, Please guide me writing this script Follwing is the file which I have created, which contains the files to be copied. cat system1-dr.txt /etc/passwd /etc/shadow /etc/group /etc/vfstab /etc/profile /etc/default/init /etc/shells /etc/dfs/dfstab /etc/dfs/sharetab... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: manalisharmabe
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with simple bash script involving a loop

Dear unix wizards, I'd be very grateful for your help with the following. I have a hypothetical file (file.txt) with three columns: 111 4 0.01 112 3 0.02 113 2 0.03 114 1 0.04 115 1 0.06 116 2 0.02 117 3 0.01 118 4 0.05 Column 2 consists of pairs of integers from 1 to 4 (each... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aberg
5 Replies
SA1(8)								Linux User's Manual							    SA1(8)

NAME
sa1 - Collect and store binary data in the system activity daily data file. SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/sa/sa1 [ interval count ] DESCRIPTION
The sa1 command is a shell procedure variant of the sadc command and handles all of the flags and parameters of that command. The sa1 com- mand collects and store binary data in the /var/log/sa/sadd file, where the dd parameter indicates the current day. The interval and count parameters specify that the record should be written count times at interval seconds. If you do not specify these parameters, a single record is written. The sa1 command is designed to be started automatically by the cron command. EXAMPLES
To create a daily record of sar activities, place the following entry in your root or adm crontab file: 0 8-18 * * 1-5 /usr/lib/sa/sa1 1200 3 & FILES
/var/log/sa/sadd Indicate the daily data file, where the dd parameter is a number representing the day of the month. AUTHOR
Sebastien Godard <sebastien.godard@wanadoo.fr> SEE ALSO
sar(1), sadc(8), sa2(8), mpstat(1), iostat(1), vmstat(8) http://perso.wanadoo.fr/sebastien.godard/ Linux DECEMBER 1999 SA1(8)