Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Should I use sed/ grep/awk for wrap file? Post 302072498 by Klashxx on Wednesday 3rd of May 2006 01:45:14 PM
Old 05-03-2006
You can also use:
Code:
echo $LINE|awk 'FS="\*" {for (i = 1; i <= NF; ++i){ if ($i ~ /[0-9]{11}/) print $i }}'

Regards

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed, grep, awk, regex -- extracting a matched substring from a file/string

Ok, I'm stumped and can't seem to find relevant info. (I'm not even sure, I might have asked something similar before.): I'm trying to use shell scripting/UNIX commands to extract URLs from a fairly large web page, with a view to ultimately wrapping this in PHP with exec() and including the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ropers
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

WEB Server Log File Analysis using awk/sed/grep

I'm trying to find a way to show large page sizes (page size in K) from multiple web server log files. Essentially I want to show only rows from a file where a specific column is larger than some value. Has anyone ever done this type of log analysis? If so, a snippet of code would be very... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mike_cataldo@ad
2 Replies

3. HP-UX

word wrap issue with grep

in my HP-Unix environment I continue to have issues seeing the whole file path when I do a grep Example: >ps -ef |grep test > /testpath/is/here/ should see: >ps -ef |grep test > /testpath/is/here/not/here/test Is there a setting to turn word wrap on/off? It works fine in our AIX... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bowtiextreme
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Big data file - sed/grep/awk?

Morning guys. Another day another question. :rolleyes: I am knocking up a script to pull some data from a file. The problem is the file is very big (up to 1 gig in size), so this solution: for results in `grep "^\ ... works, but takes ages (we're talking minutes) to run. The data is held... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: dlam
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split a file based on pattern in awk, grep, sed or perl

Hi All, Can someone please help me write a script for the following requirement in awk, grep, sed or perl. Buuuu xxx bbb Kmmmm rrr ssss uuuu Kwwww zzzz ccc Roooowwww eeee Bxxxx jjjj dddd Kuuuu eeeee nnnn Rpppp cccc vvvv cccc Rhhhhhhyyyy tttt Lhhhh rrrrrssssss Bffff mmmm iiiii Ktttt... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarn
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Word wrap with sed

Hi, I got some timetable in a file but it is all mixed up like this 01:00 hgrtwhrt #104:00 tyergethr05:00 tqqrthd qrth #107:00 qhtrhqerth10:00 qerthrthqr qtrqthr qthrrt11:00 thqrthqrthrr rthgreth #212:00 trhrthrth14:00 wrthwrtwrqrthwrthwr #2116:00 trqhthtr: rthrthr17:00 rtwhtrhwrth rthwrt... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: stinkefisch
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help to search multiple pattern in file with grep/sed/awk

Hello All, I have a file which is having below type of data, Jul 19 2011 | 123456 Jul 19 2011 | 123456 Jul 20 2011 | 123456 Jul 20 2011 | 123456 Here I wanted to grep for date pattern as below, so that it should only grep "Jul 20" OR "Jul ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: gr8_usk
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use grep sed or awk to extract string from log file and put into CSV

I'd like to copy strings from a log file and put them into a CSV. The strings could be on different line numbers, depending on size of log. Example Log File: File = foo.bat Date = 11/11/11 User = Foo Bar Size = 1024 ... CSV should look like: "foo.bat","11/11/11","Foo Bar","1024" (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: chipperuga
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

line wrap in sed

I tried line wrap in sed by sed -l 20 ' n' and as far as i understand each long line would be split into lenght of 20 characters in each. but thats not happening.wats going wrong:confused: (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mithun1!
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace string of a file with a string of another file for matches using grep,sed,awk

I have a file comp.pkglist which mention package version and release . In 'version change' and 'release change' line there are two versions 'old' and 'new' Version Change: --> Release Change: --> cat comp.pkglist Package list: nss-util-devel-3.28.4-1.el6_9.x86_64 Version Change: 3.28.4 -->... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Paras Pandey
1 Replies
echo(1B)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands						  echo(1B)

NAME
echo - echo arguments to standard output SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/echo [-n] [argument] DESCRIPTION
echo writes its arguments, separated by BLANKs and terminated by a NEWLINE, to the standard output. echo is useful for producing diagnostics in command files and for sending known data into a pipe, and for displaying the contents of envi- ronment variables. For example, you can use echo to determine how many subdirectories below the root directory (/) is your current directory, as follows: o echo your current-working-directory's full pathname o pipe the output through tr to translate the path's embedded slash-characters into space-characters o pipe that output through wc -w for a count of the names in your path. example% /usr/bin/echo "echo $PWD | tr '/' ' ' | wc -w" See tr(1) and wc(1) for their functionality. The shells csh(1), ksh(1), and sh(1), each have an echo built-in command, which, by default, will have precedence, and will be invoked if the user calls echo without a full pathname. /usr/ucb/echo and csh's echo() have an -n option, but do not understand back-slashed escape characters. sh's echo(), ksh's echo(), and /usr/bin/echo, on the other hand, understand the black-slashed escape characters, and ksh's echo() also understands a as the audible bell character; however, these commands do not have an -n option. OPTIONS
-n Do not add the NEWLINE to the output. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), echo(1), ksh(1), sh(1), tr(1), wc(1), attributes(5) NOTES
The -n option is a transition aid for BSD applications, and may not be supported in future releases. SunOS 5.11 3 Aug 1994 echo(1B)