Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Optimizing for a Speed-up
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Optimizing for a Speed-up Post 302070776 by Perderabo on Friday 7th of April 2006 10:37:02 AM
Old 04-07-2006
What shell are you using on which release of what OS running on what type of computer?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

dmidecode, RAM speed = "Current Speed: Unknown"

Hello, I have a Supermicro server with a P4SCI mother board running Debian Sarge 3.1. This is the "dmidecode" output related to RAM info: RAM speed information is incomplete.. "Current Speed: Unknown", is there anyway/soft to get the speed of installed RAM modules? thanks!! Regards :)... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Santi
0 Replies

2. UNIX and Linux Applications

Optimizing query

Hi All, My first thread to this sub-forum and first thread of this sub-forum :) Here it is, Am trying to delete duplicates from a table retaining just 1 duplicate value out of the duplicate records for example : from n records of a table out of which x are duplicates, I want to remove x... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: matrixmadhan
15 Replies

3. OS X (Apple)

Optimizing OSX

Hi forum, I'm administrating a workstation/server for my lab and I was wondering how to optimize OSX. I was wondering what unnecessary background tasks I could kick off the system so I free up as much memory and cpu power. Other optimization tips are also welcome (HD parameters, memory... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: deiphon
2 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

data from blktrace: read speed V.S. write speed

I analysed disk performance with blktrace and get some data: read: 8,3 4 2141 2.882115217 3342 Q R 195732187 + 32 8,3 4 2142 2.882116411 3342 G R 195732187 + 32 8,3 4 2144 2.882117647 3342 I R 195732187 + 32 8,3 4 2145 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: W.C.C
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Optimizing the code

Hi, I have two files in the format listed below. I need to find out all values from field 12 to field 20 present in file 2 and list them in file3(format as file2) File1 : FEIN,CHRISTA... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nua7
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Optimizing awk script

Can this awk statement be optimized? i ask because log.txt is a giant file with several hundred thousands of lines of records. myscript.sh: while read line do searchterm="${1}" datecurr=$(date +%s) file=$(awk 'BEGIN{split(ARGV,var,",");print var}' $line) ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Optimizing search using grep

I have a huge log file close to 3GB in size. My task is to generate some reporting based on # of times something is being logged. I need to find the number of time StringA , StringB , StringC is being called separately. What I am doing right now is: grep "StringA" server.log | wc -l... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Junaid Subhani
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Optimizing bash script

any way the following code can be optimized? FIRSTIN=$( HKIPP=$(echo ${TMFR} | egrep -v "mo|MO|Mo" | egrep "m |M ") HRAMH=$(echo ${TMFR} | egrep "h|H") HRAMD=$(echo ${TMFR} | egrep "d|D") HRAMW=$(echo ${TMFR} | egrep "w|W") HKIPPO=$(echo ${TMFR} |... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
5 Replies

9. Debian

Optimizing exim performance

Hi, Recently, I experienced that exim was slow in sending outgoing mail, it was spending a lot of time in the queue, resulting in customer complains. I came across an article in the internet to optimize the performance of exim in the server. However, the location of the exim.conf is not in... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: anaigini45
0 Replies

10. Web Development

Optimizing JS and CSS

Yes. Got few suggestions. - How about minifying resources - mod_expires - Service workers setup https://www.unix.com/attachments/web-programming/7709d1550557731-sneak-preview-new-unix-com-usercp-vuejs-demo-screenshot-png (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Akshay Hegde
8 Replies
PIDOF(8)						Linux System Administrator's Manual						  PIDOF(8)

NAME
pidof -- find the process ID of a running program. SYNOPSIS
pidof [-s] [-c] [-n] [-x] [-o omitpid[,omitpid..]] [-o omitpid[,omitpid..]..] program [program..] DESCRIPTION
Pidof finds the process id's (pids) of the named programs. It prints those id's on the standard output. This program is on some systems used in run-level change scripts, especially when the system has a System-V like rc structure. In that case these scripts are located in /etc/rc?.d, where ? is the runlevel. If the system has a start-stop-daemon (8) program that should be used instead. OPTIONS
-s Single shot - this instructs the program to only return one pid. -c Only return process ids that are running with the same root directory. This option is ignored for non-root users, as they will be unable to check the current root directory of processes they do not own. -n Avoid stat(2) system function call on all binaries which are located on network based file systems like NFS. Instead of using this option the the variable PIDOF_NETFS may be set and exported. -x Scripts too - this causes the program to also return process id's of shells running the named scripts. -o omitpid Tells pidof to omit processes with that process id. The special pid %PPID can be used to name the parent process of the pidof pro- gram, in other words the calling shell or shell script. EXIT STATUS
0 At least one program was found with the requested name. 1 No program was found with the requested name. NOTES
pidof is actually the same program as killall5; the program behaves according to the name under which it is called. When pidof is invoked with a full pathname to the program it should find the pid of, it is reasonably safe. Otherwise it is possible that it returns pids of running programs that happen to have the same name as the program you're after but are actually other programs. Note that that the executable name of running processes is calculated with readlink(2), so symbolic links to executables will also match. SEE ALSO
shutdown(8), init(8), halt(8), reboot(8), killall5(8) AUTHOR
Miquel van Smoorenburg, miquels@cistron.nl 01 Sep 1998 PIDOF(8)