Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Shell hosting
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Shell hosting Post 24731 by scuzoid on Wednesday 17th of July 2002 06:07:19 AM
Old 07-17-2002
Shell hosting

Hi, IMA nOOb;

I would greatly appreciate it if anybody could shed some light on this subject.

For example I want users to login using ssh or ftp

and not be ABLE to leave their userdir

so they cannot view any directories outside of the /home/user

so they can't

cd /
ls
Sorry I am new to this type of thing and don't know how to "talk the talk"

Now I am thinking possibly chroot(jailing) maybe involved? Who knows *not me*?

I would like to thank all the folks who replied to this question and apprieciate your perspective on this issue. I would also like too thank all people who looked at and read this post.

3 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Project hosting?

Hey admins!, Please can you consider hosting devel projects. A. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ASGR
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Apache Hosting-Shell Script - external files include

Hi there Well, it's my first time on this board, so short to myself: I'm matibaski, working as a webdeveloper and also as a system administrator on ubuntu server machines. The problem: I created a small apache-hostingscript by myself and it works fine. But after some addings and new... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: matibaski
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

MilesWeb.com shared hosting or unlimited hosting plans?

I want to host a website in India, after all my research I have found MilesWeb.com, I am planning to go for their shared plan http://www.milesweb.com/cpanel-hosting.php I have test their contact options and response time, they are really available 24/7. I have checked few other providers, they... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Guruguy
1 Replies
in.talkd(1M)						  System Administration Commands					      in.talkd(1M)

NAME
in.talkd, talkd - server for talk program SYNOPSIS
in.talkd DESCRIPTION
talkd is a server used by the talk(1) program. It listens at the UDP port indicated in the ``talk'' service description; see services(4). The actual conversation takes place on a TCP connection that is established by negotiation between the two machines involved. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWrcmds | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
svcs(1), talk(1), inetadm(1M), inetd(1M), svcadm(1M), services(4), attributes(5), smf(5) NOTES
The protocol is architecture dependent. The in.talkd service is managed by the service management facility, smf(5), under the service identifier: svc:/network/talk Administrative actions on this service, such as enabling, disabling, or requesting restart, can be performed using svcadm(1M). Responsibil- ity for initiating and restarting this service is delegated to inetd(1M). Use inetadm(1M) to make configuration changes and to view config- uration information for this service. The service's status can be queried using the svcs(1) command. SunOS 5.11 31 Jul 2004 in.talkd(1M)