Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Solaris 8 ???'s
Special Forums UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers Solaris 8 ???'s Post 21640 by killerserv on Monday 20th of May 2002 09:37:34 PM
Old 05-20-2002
Check the reply on this post. Have a look on the last post, might help.

https://www.unix.com/unix-for-dummies-questions-and-answers/6191-laptop-compatability.html

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Why can't we buy Solaris 8 at CompUSA?

I was just on Suns website and found that you can actually download Solaris 8 and not have to pay the licensing fee. You can also purchase the OS on CD's for $75.00. It seems also that Gnome 1.4 is supported too on Solaris 8 which would make the OS as easy to use as any Linux Distribution. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: brianfreer
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What's the difference between Unix, Linux, and Solaris?

If anyone can tell me the difference between the three or where I can find more info I would appreciated it. I see alot of companies looking for people with knowledge in Unix but every time I try to find information about it I see Linux instead. Is there a market trend in these operating... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ITmommy
2 Replies

3. Programming

i can't use 'make' in my computer?

I need to compile a file,but 'make' does not work.please tell me how to use it or need which tools? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsun5
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

where's solaris halt log?

hi folks could tell my anyone where solaris 8 stores the logs about shutdown/halt command. I found no entries in syslog, but there more logs directories. probabaly a stupid question, but fast help would be great! thanks king regards, patrick (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrsaint
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Clearify what it means under 'WHAT' when hit the 'w'-command

I wonder how I shall read the result below, especially 'what' shown below. The result was shown when I entered 'w'. E.g what is TOP? What is gosh ( what does selmgr mean?)? login@ idle JCPU PCPU what 6:15am 7:04 39 39 TOP 6:34am 6:45 45 45 TOP 6:41am ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Aelgen
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

quoting echo 'it's friday'

echo 'it's friday' why appear the > (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
3 Replies

7. IP Networking

BELKIN 'F5D5020' 16bit PCMCIA - FreeBSD HOWTO

Hey all, I've bought a few bits from Belkin who seem quite happy to support FreeBSD! Last time I bought a UPS from them and it's still going well :D I saw this on their website that the 16bit PCMCIA card was supported under FreeBSD: http://www.belkin.com/network/F5D5020.html I went to my... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: WIntellect
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Application can't startup?? Solaris and Linux RedHat

can someone tell me what could cause an application not to startup? I'm getting calls from users saying they cant' startup a particular application. how do I troubleshoot this? i tried doing ps -ef | grep (application) i saw the application running. now, am wondering, would it be safe to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TRUEST
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to remove a file with a leading dash '-' in it's name?

Somehow someone created a file named '-ov' in the root directory. Given the name, the how was probably the result of some cpio command they bozo'ed. I've tried a number of different ways to get rid of it using * and ? wildcards, '\' escape patterns etc.. They all fail with " illegal option --... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: GSalisbury
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

What are the differences between 'bash' and 'sh'

Hopefully this doesn't come off as too much of a "newbie" question or a flamebait. But I have recently begun working with a Sun Solaris box after having spent the past five years working with RedHat. From what i can tell, thing look fairly similar and the 'man' command is some help. But I've... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: deckard
7 Replies
xscreensaver-getimage(1)					XScreenSaver manual					  xscreensaver-getimage(1)

NAME
xscreensaver-getimage - put some randomly-selected image on the root window SYNOPSIS
xscreensaver-getimage [-display host:display.screen] [--verbose] window-id [pixmap-id] DESCRIPTION
The xscreensaver-getimage program is a helper program for the xscreensaver hacks that manipulate images. This is not a user-level command. This program selects a random image, and puts it on the specified window or pixmap. This image might be a snapshot of the desktop; or a frame captured from the system's video input; or a randomly-selected image from disk. If only a window ID is specified, the image will be painted there. If both a window ID and a pixmap ID are specified, then the image will be painted on the pixmap; and the window may be modified as a side-effect. OPTIONS
xscreensaver-getimage reads the ~/.xscreensaver file for configuration information. It uses these settings: grabDesktopImages Whether it is acceptable to grab snapshots of the desktop. The security paranoid might want to turn this off, to avoid letting people see (but not touch!) your desktop while the screen is locked. grabVideoFrames Whether it is acceptable to grab frames of video from the system's video input. Grabbing of video is done by invoking the xscreen- saver-getimage-video(1) program. chooseRandomImages Whether it is acceptable to display random images found on disk. Selection and loading of images is done by invoking the xscreensaver- getimage-file(1) program. imageDirectory When loading images from disk, this is the directory to find them in. The directory will be searched recursively for images. It may also be the URL of an RSS or Atom feed, in which case a random image from that feed will be selected instead. The contents of the feed will be cached locally and refreshed periodically as needed. If none of the three options are set to True, then video colorbars will be displayed instead. BUGS
When grabbing desktop images, the window argument will be unmapped and have its contents modified, causing flicker. (This does not happen when loading image files or video frames.) SEE ALSO
X(1), xscreensaver(1) xscreensaver-demo(1) xscreensaver-getimage-file(1) xscreensaver-getimage-video(1) COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2001-2011 by Jamie Zawinski. Permission to use, copy, modify, distribute, and sell this software and its documentation for any purpose is hereby granted without fee, provided that the above copyright notice appear in all copies and that both that copyright notice and this permission notice appear in supporting documentation. No representations are made about the suitability of this software for any purpose. It is provided "as is" without express or implied warranty. AUTHOR
Jamie Zawinski <jwz@jwz.org>, 14-Apr-01 X Version 11 5.15 (28-Sep-2011) xscreensaver-getimage(1)