10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting
1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers
hi experts please tell me the real difference between unix and linux at kernel structure (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: linurag
2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers
OK, I've used various versions of UNIX(Solaris, HPUX, etc..) over the years. Now the organization I work for is leaning towards more Linux based systems(Redhat, Suse, etc..)
I do see differences in in comands and how to accomplish basic adminstration, but nothing mind blowing.
So, what is it... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pbonilla
3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers
Iam curious to know wat are the differences between a sun machine and a linux machine?( In terms of architecture,applications etc)
Thanks in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: raz
4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers
Ok, I'm confused.
Can someone answer these (stupid) questions please for me?
1. What is the difference between unix and linux?
2. Is FreeBSD a unix distribution?
3. If not, then what is Unix? I actually gone to Unix.com because I thought this is it's official website where I could download... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: RellioN
* one-way-pipe.c - example of using a pipe to communicate data between a
* process and its child process. The parent reads input
* from the user, and sends it to the child via a pipe.
* The child prints the received data to the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SQ4LIFE
6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users
can someone tell me what could cause an application not to startup? I'm getting calls from users saying they cant' startup a particular application. how do I troubleshoot this?
i tried doing ps -ef | grep (application)
i saw the application running. now, am wondering, would it be safe to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TRUEST
7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers
Where Do I download Unix ISO's for free? I have searched this database for other related posts, but to no avail. All I need is this info, and I don't want Linux; just a Unix site. Please and thank you for your help. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: killrazor
8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers
Is there any better way of doing this? I only want to find a status of a diff, ie diff the file and return to me whether it is different or not or non-existant.
This example works, however I think it could be less messier:
workd=`pwd`;find $workd -name "*.sum" | while read line ; do... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Shakey21
9. Shell Programming and Scripting
If I write a ksh script like :
if || exit
because I want to control the command syntax.
Do I use ' ' or NULL to specify the none value of the arguments
in the command.
thanks .... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hoang
10. Shell Programming and Scripting
I wonder how I shall read the result below, especially 'what'
The result was shown when I entered 'w'.
E.g what is TOP? What is gosh ( what does selmgr mean?)?
login@ idle JCPU PCPU what
6:15am 7:04 39 39 TOP
6:34am 6:45 45 45 TOP
6:41am ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Aelgen