Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Linux help on X and motd
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Linux help on X and motd Post 20580 by PxT on Monday 29th of April 2002 02:48:00 PM
Old 04-29-2002
If you want to start without loading X, edit /etc/inittab and change the default run-level to 2. Alternately you can get to a plain console login prompt by pushing Ctrl-Alt-F1 from within X.

The MOTD is traditionally displayed after you enter your username and password, not during boot. If you would like to have a mesage displayed above the "login" prompt at the console, edit /etc/issue.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

Editing motd

Hie. Im having a problem editing the motd ( message of the day ). I tried to edit the file /etc/motd but its end up with nothing. I find out the directory /etc/motd is in rw- r - r i changed it to executable rwxw-rw-r but having same thing no changes in the motd. Anyone having any idea how to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: killerserv
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

motd for different users

Hi, I was hoping to get some help on this question: I have different groups of users logging into our servers and I would like to set it up so that when they login they could get an update from the motd. How do I set it up so that I can have one group see a different motd than the system... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vancouver_joe
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing old motd with new motd

I need to replace the current /etc/motd text file with a new motd across 30+ servers. Which is the best way to do this? Shell script? sed? Does anyone have an example I can use? Thanks in advance. Unix people are the best!!! :) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: antalexi
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/etc/motd

Hi I do get the message of the day upon logging in to my machine(Solaris 9). I do NOT have a .hushlogin file in my home directory. Any ideas :-) (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: run_time_error
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Motd

Does anyone know how to get the IP Address of the connecting client to apear in the MOTD I am new to linux and I was wondering if this was possible thanks in advance. :D :confused: :D (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: DragonLenage
4 Replies

6. Linux

Motd

In which login startup script is the motd displayed? Red Hat 4AS As I understand it, upon login (bash) it hits /etc/profile ~/.bash_profile ~/.bash_login ~/.profile I went through the scripts and the associated scripts (/etc/profile.d/*.sh) but don't see where it's being displayed... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: BOFH
5 Replies

7. Red Hat

how to print date/cal in /etc/motd on linux server

helo i want to show today date and calendar when v succesfuly login on the system on the linux server please orovide the sol for the same thanx :):):) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dodasajan
1 Replies

8. Solaris

MOTD Display

Hi all, Wish to check which setting is set to display the MOTD AFTER successful password verification. I am logging in via a 3rd party ssh tool tectia. Eg. Login: password: OS Prompt> Thanks Eugene (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: srage
5 Replies

9. Linux

From where does motd data comes?

Hi, I am using Ubuntu 10.04 desktop and whenever I login to the xterm terminal through ssh, I am getting the following motd (message of the day) info. Linux desktop 2.6.32-28-generic #55-Ubuntu SMP Mon Jan 10 21:21:01 UTC 2011 i686 GNU/Linux Ubuntu 10.04.2 LTS Welcome to Ubuntu! *... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
1 Replies

10. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

/etc/motd - queries

If I have /etc/motd, he is file or directory? I saw that some call them folders and files others... Which option is better? I knew that being a director, but many told me not. Thank you! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mescu
1 Replies
REBOOT(2)							System Calls Manual							 REBOOT(2)

NAME
reboot - close down the system or reboot SYNTAX
#define _MINIX_SOURCE 1 #include <unistd.h> int reboot(int how, ...) DESCRIPTION
Reboot() is used to close down the system. It allows several ways of shutting down depending on how: reboot(RBT_HALT) Halt the system and return to the monitor prompt. reboot(RBT_REBOOT) Reboot the system by letting the monitor execute the "boot" command. reboot(RBT_PANIC) Cause a system panic. This is not normally done from user mode, but by servers using the sys_abort() kernel call. reboot(RBT_MONITOR, code, length) Halt the system and let the monitor execute the given code of the given length. (code is of type char * and length of type size_t.) reboot(RBT_RESET) Reboot the system with a hardware reset. Reboot() may only be executed by the super-user. DIAGNOSTICS
If the call succeeds, it never returns. If something went wrong, the return value is -1 and an error is indicated by errno. SEE ALSO
shutdown(8), reboot(8), halt(8), sync(1). NOTES
Minix can not return to the monitor if running in real mode, or if started from MS-DOS. This means that most of the reboot functions will change to a reset. AUTHOR
Edvard Tuinder (v892231@si.hhs.NL) REBOOT(2)