Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How can I force my Linux RedHat to recognize my modem?? Post 18110 by Neo on Sunday 24th of March 2002 10:04:24 AM
Old 03-24-2002
You might want to read this FAQ:

http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Modem-HOWTO.html

... if you have not already.

What is the interrupt (IRQ) setting of the modem? What is the IO address setting?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linux and my modem

I installed Storm Linux last night on my P100. It's running great with the exception of one detail. When I try to connect to the internet (56k), if I have /dev/modem as my modem, my computer freezes, all I can do is drop to the command line. If I have /dev/tty# (# = 0 - 3) as my modem, it wont... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: CyPHoN
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Force Password Change...RedHat 7.1

Hello, I just finished adding a bunch of new users to the linux servers I administer. I add users either via command line or via linuxconf, but I can't seem to find out how to force users to change their passwords on their first login to the system. Anyone know how to do that? My HP-UX... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vancouver_joe
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

would like to purchase pcmcia modem that is supported by RedHat 7.3

I am using an IBM 390E laptop with a built-in LT modem which RH 7.3 does not notice. I would like to know if there are any pcmcia modems that are supported by version 7.3. If so, what is the propduct and where can I purchase it? Thanks!! adrienb:confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: adrienb
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

modem driver for linux

how to get modem driver for linux on intel netvista a22p model?please help.Thanks.:( (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xinubhaskar
2 Replies

5. Linux

Redhat 9 modem login issues

Hi guys , I have redhat 9 and i have no idea what i'm doing. This is my first time taking a break from windows and exploring this new OS. I'm trying to install an External Usrobotic 56K Model Number 5686, after rebooting it was detected. How can i configure the server so i can call (modem... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: josramon
1 Replies

6. Red Hat

RedHat 9 Force full duplex

All, I have a RedHat 9 box which I need to figure out how to get it to stay in full duplex mode after a reboot. I have tried ethtool -s eth0 speed 100 duplex full autoneg off I have tried to add a line to the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 like this: ETHTOOL_OPTS="speed... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bubba112557
4 Replies

7. Red Hat

How can i disable force options for linux commands

Sir , Is there any way for me to disable force (-f ) options to linux commands like rm. I tried to alias rm -f. alias rm -f = "rm -i" but it shows bad alias name error I need this command specifically for rm. Atleast i want this command to be interactive whether I issue rm ,rm... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: iamjayanth
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How does linux recognize file types?

Hey , I was wondering how does Linux recognize file types if he doesn't use extensions to determine the file type ? It's just a question not for a script or something else. thnx:o (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Eclecticaa
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Will Linux force NIC into promiscuous mode?

Right now I have a computer that I want to use as the monitor for my network. It's currently running Windows 7, and so as I understand it the NIC won't monitor all the traffic on the network. So my question is, if I install Linux on this computer will I be able to force the NIC card into... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: iJeydon
1 Replies

10. Red Hat

Install 3G Modem on Redhat Linux

Hi Guys , I am new to Linux enviornment , I have purchased Huawei 355 Modem as they specify it works with linux enviornment but Not sure how to install it , when ever I try to install I am getting error , below is the error message Error Message : Install NDIS driver failed. The... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: DarkLegends
4 Replies
FAXSTATE(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       FAXSTATE(8)

NAME
faxstate - control ``modem state'' of a device used by HylaFAX SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/faxstate [ -q queue-dir ] [ -s state ] [ -n ] modem DESCRIPTION
faxstate sends a message to the HylaFAX faxgetty(8) process servicing modem telling it to use the specified state when notifying the HylaFAX scheduler that a modem is ready and available for use. This is useful for controlling outbound use of a modem; by marking a modem's state as busy or down the HylaFAX scheduler will not assign any outbound jobs to the modem. The specified modem can either be the name (typically the last component of the terminal port the modem is attached to), or the full name of the associated FIFO named pipe file, e.g. ``FIFO.ttym2''. If the -n option, faxstate emulates what faxgetty would do; sending a message directly to the faxq process marking the specified modem down, busy, or ready. This interface is useful for send-only environments in which faxgetty processes are not used. Note that modems manipulated in this way must previously have been configured with the faxmodem(8) program. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -n Contact faxq directly instead of faxgetty. -q dir Use a spooling area other than /var/spool/hylafax. -s Specify the state to send the faxq process each time the modem becomes ready for use; one of ``busy'', ``down'', and ``ready''. The default state to use is ready. FILES
Consult hylafax-server(5) for a complete discussion of the structure and content of the spooling area. SEE ALSO
hylafax-server(5), faxgetty(8) July 17, 1995 FAXSTATE(8)