Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Moving Files within a particular date range Post 17592 by halfling on Monday 18th of March 2002 09:59:18 AM
Old 03-18-2002
This will move files by month, and will only work if there is no white-space in the file's name.

ls -go |sed '/^d/ d' |awk '{ if ( $4 == "Feb" ) print $7 } |xargs -i mv {} /home/abd/FILESFEB_01/

Sometimes usernames can bleed over to group IDs in a long listing, which would mess up the awk statement. So use option g and o to remove the owner and group columns.

sed is there to remove the directories from the listing.

awk statement will check the month column to see if it's equal, in this case, to Feb. If it is, it'll print the file name (again, file names with white-space won't work).

Finally pass it to xargs. If you're not familiar with xargs, read up on it... very useful in the right situations.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cp only files in certain date range

hi all, I'm trying to do a cp only on files I created on a given day or within a certain date range. What's the best way to do this? Cheers, KL (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ee7klt
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting Files by date and moving files in date order

I need to build a k shell script that will sort files in a directory where files appear like this "XXXX_2008021213.DAT. I need to sort by date in the filename and then move files by individual date to a working folder. concatenate the files in the working folder then start a process once... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rebel64
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to display files that have been modifed between a given date range

Hi, I am new to Unix and was trying different ways of how to display the list of file names modified between a given date range in sorting order.I will get the fromdate and Todate from the browser, I need to display the list of all the file names that are modified between the given date... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prathima
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How can i copy files by date last modifed range?

When I do a ls -lt I get a list of files by date modified from newest to oldest. I would like to be able to copy some files to another directory using a date last modified range (i.e. Apr 30 - May 13) How could I do this? Thanks, Joe (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: geauxsaints
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search files between a date range

Hi people A newbie here, thrown into the deep end. I want to select the group of files with in a range of dates and perform some operation on it. Are there inbuild date libraries i can use? I did read thru the old posts on this topic. Couldnt get much idea :(, basically want to know how I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: zcanji
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Coping Files for a specific date range

Hi, we have file name appended by date in yymmdd format .. ex: abc090101.dat I need to copy all the files between abc090101 to abc090331.. could you plz help me.. Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kolariya4u
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with removing files with date range

Hi, I want to remove trace files in a particular directory for a specific date range. Currently i can remove based on time (e.g find /path/*.trm -mtime +1000 -exec rm {} \;). But i want to remove .trm files within a date range. E.g to remove .trm files between jan 1 2002 to April 15 2005. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dollypee
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleted files between date range

Dear Friends, I have HP_ux 11.31 and want to delete some unwanted very old log files between two date range. Please help in the matter. Regards, Bhagawati Pandey (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: BPANDEY
6 Replies

9. Red Hat

Find Files within date Range

Hi i am looking to expand a command i am using to find files in a large file system. i am currently using find /raid/JOBFLOW_LOCKED/ -type f -size +3G | -exec mv {} /raid/JOBFLOW_LOCKED/KILL \; This works really well but i would like to add a date range to the same command to refine it... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: treds
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find the count of files by last created date based on the given date range

My unix version is IBM AIX Version 6.1 I tried google my requirement and found the below answer, find . -newermt “2012-06-15 08:13" ! -newermt “2012-06-15 18:20" But newer command is not working in AIX version 6.1 unix I have given my requirement below: Input: atr files: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yuvaa27
1 Replies
gvfs-move(1)							   User Commands						      gvfs-move(1)

NAME
gvfs-move - move a file from one VFS location to another SYNOPSIS
gvfs-move source-URI destination-URI DESCRIPTION
gvfs-move moves a file from one URI location to another, using the virtual file system. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: source-URI Specifies the source file location in standard URI format. destination-URI Specifies the destination file or directory location in standard URI format. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Moving a File From a Web Server to a Local File example% gvfs-move http://www.sun.com file:///home/user/index.html ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables: NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The exit value 0 is returned regardless of success or failure. FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/gvfs-move Executable to move a file from one VFS location to another ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWgnome-gvfs | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |Volatile | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
gvfs-cat(1), gvfs-copy(1), gvfs-rename(1), gvfs-info(1), gvfs-less(1), gvfs-ls(1), gvfs-mkdir(1) gvfs-monitor-dir(1), gvfs-monitor-file(1), gvfs-mount(1), gvfs-copy(1), gvfs-open(1), gvfs-rm(1), gvfs-save(1), gvfs-trash(1), gvfs-tree(1), attributes(5), environ(5) NOTES
Written by Alvaro Lopez Ortega, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2008. SunOS 5.11 25 Mar 2008 gvfs-move(1)