Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Gnome malfunctioning
Special Forums UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers Gnome malfunctioning Post 16564 by Furtoes00 on Monday 4th of March 2002 02:05:47 PM
Old 03-04-2002
Data Gnome malfunctioning

I dual-booted a Pentium 166 with 48mbs of RAM and 2 gig HD between Windows 95 and Redhat 7.

I installed the workstation setup, and selected Gnome as my GUI. Everything went fine, setup was great, no bugs. My monitor is ancient, so it was in the monitor list, and I entered my VRAM as 1mb.

All was well, until I attempted to use Gnome. The loading screens were OK, but everything else was blotchy, gray areas covered icons and menus, and, shortly put: Horrible.

I have no idea what to do, I have considered reinstallation, but have dismissed that thus far as an act of insanity.

Any help? I hope I gave enough info here..
Furtoes00

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. News, Links, Events and Announcements

GNOME 2.8 Released!

GNOME 2.8 Released! http://gnome.org/start/2.8/ Release Notes (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eugrus
1 Replies

2. Solaris

Gnome on Solaris 10

I have just installed Gnome on Solaris 10, I am wondering how to get it listed in the “session” selection box on the login screen, as it currently isn't. Any Ideas? :o (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Dredz
1 Replies

3. OS X (Apple)

Darwin 10.4 - Gnome

Hello, I was curious about how one would go about installing gnome on darwin. As far as I know it must be harder than FreeBSD because there doesn't seem to be any ports for it. Would you have to first set up a build environment (GCC etc...) and then compile it from scratch? or is there an... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kpedersen
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

ls -ltr malfunctioning inside the k-shell script

i have a script that shows the "yesterday" and "todays" date entry in the few log files. IF the mentioned date entry is not found in the logs then it sends an mails. These are all persistance applications. #!/bin/ksh TZ=`date +%Z`+0 ;d=`date +%Y-%m-%d` TZ=`date +%Z`+24 ; b=`date... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ali560045
3 Replies

5. Solaris

Gnome in Solaris 9

Hi My problem is that I kind of opened gnome environment from the cde environment and now I do not know how to turn it off so any suggestions will be much appreciated. and I am running Solaris 9 as root user I am also a beginner in unix Thanks in advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Theeb
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Backup & restore Gnome Desktop and all settings in Gnome

Hi I'm looking for scripts to backup & restore Gnome Desktop and all settings in Gnome. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ccc
0 Replies
gvfs-monitor-dir(1)						   User Commands					       gvfs-monitor-dir(1)

NAME
gvfs-monitor-dir - monitor the change of a directory content using the VFS system SYNOPSIS
gvfs-monitor-dir URI DESCRIPTION
gvfs-monitor-dir monitors the change content of a directory using the VFS system. If anything changes inside the directory, gvfs-monitor- dir will print a message informing of the event. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: URI Specifies the directory location in standard URI format. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Monitor a local directory example% gvfs-monitor-dir file:///tmp/example ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables: NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The exit value 0 is returned regardless of success or failure. FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/gvfs-monitor-dir Executable to monitor the change content of a directory using the VFS system. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWgnome-gvfs | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |Volatile | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
gvfs-copy(1), gvfs-info(1), gvfs-less(1), gvfs-ls(1), gvfs-mkdir(1) gvfs-cat(1), gvfs-monitor-file(1), gvfs-mount(1), gvfs-move(1), gvfs- rename(1), gvfs-open(1), gvfs-rm(1), gvfs-save(1), gvfs-trash(1), gvfs-tree(1), attributes(5), environ(5) NOTES
Written by Alvaro Lopez Ortega, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2008. SunOS 5.11 25 Mar 2008 gvfs-monitor-dir(1)