Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers bulk mail as a background job Post 12211 by HungryH on Friday 21st of December 2001 04:29:06 AM
Old 12-21-2001
bulk mail as a background job

I presently use the php function mail() to send to a mailing list with over 5000 recipients. Even with blind copy, I get timed out and the process takes too long.

I would like to set the job up as a background job. Can someone help me with the shell code for sending mailing as a background job.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

background job

I try to run a script as background job. script: #!/usr/bin/csh /usr/bin/date +20%y-%m-%d > ~/datsql.txt If I start it I got this output: tac> ./datermitteln& 293 + Stopped (SIGTTOU) ./datermitteln& I insert the following line inside my script, but without any... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: joerg
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Background job

Hiya, Recently I've run a few scripts in the foreground, but have realised later they should of been better nohup'd and placed in the background. I understand how to change a foreground job into a background one, but how would put the job into the nohup state? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rdbooth
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

background job

on gnome i open a terminal and run wget http://soommmething & in the background. because wget shows me downloading progress percentage and download speed continuously, I exit the gnome-terminal after a while i want to see the download percentage but dont know how. my ps -u myname shows that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: babayeve
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to get background job to foreground

hi, i am just wondering that wen we give the following code we make a process run in background...can the viceversa be performed?i.e can this be made foreground again # sleep 75& 21751 # (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandilya
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cannot submit a background job

Hi all, I am currently facing a problem when i am submitting a script to run in the background to collect statistics round the clock on an AIX box. I don't have root authority nor can I set it in cron. So when i submit the job, it runs fine, but won't let me signoff. It prompts me that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tansha
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Best practice for bulk multi-part mail

Hi, I am currently building a PHP/MySQL database that handles our offices newsletters. Now everything works great in the alpha with only a few names in the list, but I anticipate that once we fill it up (around 10,000) that this will not work from the PHP. I already have the script echo the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: begin23
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Background job when completed

Hello - I submitted one background job last night and it completed today morning.I want to know exact time the job completed. I submitted backgroung job like this nohup cp -Rp /opt/apps/prod/proddb/proddata . & I want to know when above job completed on UNIX server.Above command... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mansoor8810
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Background Job

Hello Everyody, Having a doubt. sort file1 & when we sent a job to the background it returns Job Number PID again if we want to ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: knroy10
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Background job issue

How to bring a backgroud job say sample_script.sh to foreground (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rafa_fed2
4 Replies
send(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   send(1)

NAME
send - send a message (only available within the message handling system, mh) SYNOPSIS
send [options] [file...] OPTIONS
Directs send to consult the named files for alias definitions. More than one file, each preceded by -alias, can be named. See mh-alias(4) for more information. Specifies that the current draft is the message to be sent. If you do not give a file argument, send will query whether the current draft is the file that you intend to send. You can suppress this question by using this option. Specifies the draft folder from which the draft message is taken. The send command will search the specified folder for the draft message and will deliver it to the specified recipients. The current message in the named folder is used. If you wish to use another message, you can use the -draftmessage option with -draftfolder. If there is no current draft message in the specified folder, send will display an error message. Specifies the draft message to be used. If you specify a folder with the -draftfolder option, the -draftmessage option takes the number of a message in that folder. If you do not specify a folder, -draftmessage takes the name of a file. If you do not give an absolute pathname (one beginning with / or or ), -draftmessage assumes that the file is located in your Mail directory. Filters (re-formats) messages sent to blind copy recipients. Recipients named in the Bcc: field usually receive a new message which includes a copy of a message sent to the other recipients. If this option is given, this copy of the message is filtered according to the instructions in the named file. The default is -nofilter. Replaces each of the entries in the To: and cc: fields with standard format entries. This standard format is designed to be usable by all of the message handlers on the various systems around the Internet. If -noformat is given, then headers are output exactly as they appear in the message draft. The default is -format. Forwards a copy of a draft message that cannot be sent to the sender. This option can only be used with the -push option. If you have specified -push and the draft message cannot be sent, a failure notice is generated and sent to you. If you also give this option, a copy of the problem message is forwarded with the failure notice. This differs from putting send in the background, because the output is trapped and analyzed by MH. This is the default behavior. It can be suppressed by specifying the -noforward option. Prints a list of the valid options to this command. Adds a Message-ID: field to the mes- sage. Specifies the mail system over which mail is sent. The only value allowed is smtp, which is the standard mail system. Additional values are supported only for use with other mail systems. Instructs send to perform its actions in the background. If a draft fails to be sent, a failure notice is generated and sent to the sender of the problem message. If you also specify the -forward option, the message is forwarded with the failure notice. Informs the user of each step of the sending process, prior to actual delivery. Monitors the delivery of local and network mail. A large amount of information can be gathered about each step of the message's entry into the transport system by specifying both this and the -verbose option. Specifies the length of header lines containing addresses. The defaults for the send command are: file defaults to <mh-dir>/draft alias /usr/lib/mh/MailAliases -nodraftfolder -nofilter -format -forward -nomsgid -mts smtp -nopush -nover- bose -nowatch -width 72 DESCRIPTION
Use send to send the draft message to the specified recipients. You normally choose send as one of the options from the whatnow program. However, you can use send just like any other MH command. If you do not have a draft folder set up, messages are created in a file called draft in your Mail directory. The draft message remains in the file draft until it is either sent or deleted. This means that you can only have one draft message at a time. If you do have a draft folder set up, or if you have specified one using the -draftfolder option, the draft message is created in this folder, which enables you to store multiple draft messages. For more information, see comp(1). The command send will normally search for the draft message in the file draft or in your draft folder and cause it to be delivered to each of the destinations in the To:, cc:, Bcc:, and Fcc: fields of the message. If send is redistributing a message, as invoked from dist, the corresponding Resent-xxx fields are examined instead. The delivery is carried out using post(8). If you wish to send a named file instead of an existing draft message, you can specify the file as the file argument. If you do not give an absolute pathname (one beginning with / or or ) send assumes that the named file is in your directory. Note that the file must be for- matted as a legal mail message. If you want to send an existing mail message rather than a named file, you should use the -draftfolder or -draftmessage option. Once the transport system has successfully received the message, the mail system will rename the file with a leading comma. This allows it to be retrieved until the next draft message is sent. If there are errors in the formatting of the message, send will abort and issue an error message. If the environment variable $SIGNATURE is set, then its value is used as your personal name when constructing the From: line of the mes- sage. If this variable is not set, then send will consult the profile entry Signature: for this information. If send is redistributing a message (when invoked by dist), then the mail system will prepend Resent- to each of these fields: From, Date, and Message-ID. If the message already contains a From: field, then the mail system will add a Sender: user@local field add as well. If an Fcc: field is encountered, the mail system copies the message to the specified folder for the sender in the format in which it appears to any normal recipients of the message. That is, it includes the fields appended by the mail system, and the fields are re-format- ted. The Fcc: fields are removed from all outgoing copies of the message. If the message includes a Bcc: field, recipients in this field receive a new copy of the message, which includes the body text of the orig- inal message. The new message has a minimal set of headers. The Bcc: field does not appear on copies of the message sent to recipients in the To: and cc: fields. Prior to sending the message, the mail system appends Date: and From: to the headers in the message, for example: Date: Wed, 07 June 1989 11:18:00 WET From: rabb@hostname RESTRICTIONS
For this version, the -mts option only supports the value smtp. Additional values are supported for use only with other mail systems. PROFILE COMPONENTS
Path: To determine the user's MH directory Draft-Folder: To determine the default draft folder Signature: To determine the user's mail signature mailproc: Program to post failure notices postproc: Program to post the message FILES
The user profile. SEE ALSO
comp(1), dist(1), forw(1), repl(1), mh-alias(4), post(8) send(1)