Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Bus Error
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Bus Error Post 10219 by Perderabo on Friday 9th of November 2001 12:27:05 PM
Old 11-09-2001
The bus in question is the address buss and it contains an illegal value. This is almost always the result of dereferencing a pointer that contains an illegal value.

Here is a program that, I think, will compile with every C or C++ compiler, but should cause a bus error when the second printf is attempted...

Code:
#ifdef __STDC__
#define PROTOTYPICAL
#endif
#ifdef __cplusplus
#define PROTOTYPICAL
#endif

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <unistd.h>

#ifdef PROTOTYPICAL
int main(int argc, char *argv[])
#else
main(argc,argv)
char *argv[];
#endif
{
      double d = 1.23456789;
      double *p = &d;
      printf ( " d = %f \n" , *p);
      p = (double *)((char *)p + 1);
      printf ( " d = %f \n" , *p);
      exit(0);
}

Last edited by Perderabo; 01-16-2005 at 03:30 PM.. Reason: Remove html which is no longer supported

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

bus error on solaris

Hi there I am running soalris 9 on a sun fire 480r and all of a sudden (today) whenever the users run the command `top` we get the following message `bus error` does anybody have any information on what this is all about and whether there is a routine i can perform to gather more... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bus error(coredump

aix 5.3 ML1 system was functioing well, when suddenly telnet session hung and then I got the following message "Bus error(coredump)" would appreciate if anyone would assist as to what to do next. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Student37
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Bus Error(coredump)

Hi, I am using HP-UX. While i try to run the Sqlplus command using the shel script in encounter the following error: <shell script name>: some number Bus Error(coredump) What may be the reason behind this. I read few previous threads in this forum where i found some similar case. There it was... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jayesh
2 Replies

4. Programming

BUS error

Hi! I've got a program which runs fine under Linux, but I have compiled it to run under SunOS 5.8 in a Sparc computer, and now it sometimes fails with "bus error". Ussing gdb I surfed to the error line, which is *pointer = some_vector; where some_vector is a 16 byte struct (4 integers)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shesatmine
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

bus error (coredump)

Hi all, I am getting bus error problem in SunOS. Can you please help me out in this regard. Actually, my entire code till the last line has been executed. But after tht i am getting a bus error. Please help me. Thanks in advance. Charu. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: charu
4 Replies

6. HP-UX

Need help on Bus error(coredump)

Hi all, I am quite weak in C but I need to get some work done. Hope someone can help me out. I keep getting this error when i try to run my C application in my HP-UX 10.20 machine. Some code snippet: Month(DBTime) =====This is a function which will return variable "CutOffTime" to be use... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vision©
5 Replies

7. HP-UX

Bus Error

I am getting bus error when i include "#!/bin/ksh". If i remove interpreter then script is working. Can anyone explain this and how can i avoid this error? Operating System is HP-UX B.11.23 U 9000/800 1091834454 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anbu23
2 Replies

8. Programming

Bus error

Hi everyone, I have a GUI project and when I run it and left in idle state for a long time(there is nothing done, just opened GUI, no more actions),I get bus error after trying to do anything with it. I've tried to build it in debug mode and use gdb, but I don't get any error in debug mode.It... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sisi
3 Replies

9. Programming

Bus error in tree insertion

Hi, I am new to C++ and unix. I am trying to write a programm for inserting elements into a binary tree. To get the code flow I used few Couts and m facing buss error while insertion. Below is the code snippet. explainations needed. thanks :) #include <iostream.h> struct mytree { int... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vineetjoshi
1 Replies

10. Programming

Bus Error: 10...Help please!

Hi all, I am writing a phonebook program to store names and number using a list. Here is the code for the function which allows the user to enter the name and number (where the error occurs). //THIS FUNCTION ADDS A NEW ENTRY TO THE phonebook_list void insert(void){ //variables int... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kdejan
5 Replies
metaimport(1M)						  System Administration Commands					    metaimport(1M)

NAME
metaimport - imports disk sets into existing Solaris Volume Manager configurations SYNOPSIS
metaimport -s setname [-n] [-f] [-v] [disks]... metaimport -r [-v] [disks]... metaimport -V metaimport -? DESCRIPTION
The metaimport command allows the importing of disk sets, including replicated disk sets, into an existing Solaris Volume Manager configu- ration. Replicated disk sets are disk sets created using remote replication software. The default Solaris Volume Manager configuration specifies a maximum number of disk sets that can be configured. The metaimport command fails if importing the disk set would result in exceeding the number of disk sets configured on the system. To increase the number of disk sets allowed on a system, see the . Use metaset(1M) or metastat(1M) to view the configuration of the imported set. You must run metaimport as root. metaimport requires a functional Solaris Volume Manager configuration before it runs. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -f Force the import, even if a quorum of replicas from the imported disk set is not available. This option could result in cor- rupt configurations and should only be used when metaimport fails with the "Insufficient quorum detected; exiting" error. If only a partial disk set is available, this option might be necessary to successfully import. Some or all data could be cor- rupted or unavailable when importing a partial set or a set lacking a replica quorum. -n Does not actually perform the operation, but shows the output or errors that would have resulted from the operation, had it been run. -r Report on the non-configured disk sets found on the system. If no disk device or LUN is specified, metaimport reports on all non-configured disk sets attached to the system. When the name of one disk is specified, metaimport reports on the disk set (or virtual LUN) containing the specified disk. If two or more disks are specified, metaimport reports on the set (or sets, if they belong to different disk sets) containing the specified disks. If two or more disks are specified, metaimport reports on the set (or sets, if they belong to different disk sets) containing the specified disks. This option can be used in conjunction with the -v option to give verbose output on each disk set reported. -s setname Specify the disk set name to use when importing. The imported disk set will be called setname, without regard to the name it may have had on a different system. -v Verbose. Provides detailed information about the metadb replica location and status. It also provides detailed information about the disk set configuration and status similar to the "metastat -c" output. -V Version information. -? Display a help message. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Importing a Disk Set The following example creates a disk set called blue and identifies c1t5d0 as a disk containing a state database replica from the disk set being imported. # metaimport -s blue c1t5d0 Example 2 Reporting Disk Sets to Import The following example scans all disks and LUNs attached to the system and configured as part of the system. It scans for disks that could be part of a disk set to be imported. Components that are already part of the Solaris Volume Manager configuration are ignored. This use of metaimport provides suggested forms of the metaimport command to use to actually import the disk sets that have been found. You can specify a component on the command line to reduce the scope of the scan and generate results more quickly. # metaimport -r EXIT STATUS
0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWmdu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Stable | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
mdmonitord(1M), metaclear(1M), metadb(1M), metadetach(1M), metahs(1M), metainit(1M), metaoffline(1M), metaonline(1M), metaparam(1M), metarecover(1M), metareplace(1M), metaroot(1M), metaset(1M), metastat(1M), metasync(1M), metattach(1M), md.tab(4), md.cf(4), mddb.cf(4), attributes(5) SunOS 5.11 28 Oct 2005 metaimport(1M)