Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: script to write script
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting script to write script Post 101782 by thestevew on Monday 13th of March 2006 06:07:42 AM
Old 03-13-2006
Power

Perhaps I don't understand the problem, but this looks like a strange approach.
It looks to me as if you want to generate sets of customised scripts using parameter files to define any variable items. Wouldn't it be easier to create a set of standard scripts with all the variable items parameterised and pick up the values from a file or the command line?

cheers

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help! Need to write my first script

Hi Folks! I am a MacUser and am trying to learn Unix for the last few months. I will explain in detail what I am trying to do, and apreciate you help if you can teach me even if it is a single comand line inside the script. I own a small company, where I manufacture special gypsums and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: fundidor
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help me to write the script

Actually i am working with two diffrent files having same structure each file contain Ten diffrent column and i want to write a script which will compare the colummns of first file with the column of second file and diiference will be send to the first column of third file . similarly for... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gyana_cboy
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Should I write a PERL Script or Shell Script?

Hello, I have done some BASIC shell scripting/PERL scripting before so I am familiar with the languages. I am not really sure which one would lend itself better to the application I have to write. I am required to scan the message logs for possible break in attempts. If I use shell scripting... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mojoman
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Better way to write this script

Hi All, I have written the following script. I have just repeated some commands, and I am sure there is a more better way to do it. I hope I one of gurus here will help me make it in a better shape. Here is the script: #! /bin/sh sed -i -e "s/test2.xxx/test3.xxx/" -e "s/output2/output3/"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: faizlo
2 Replies

5. AIX

how to write this script?

If I need delete some disk, for i in hdisk1 hdisk2 hdisk3 hdisk4 do rmdev -dl $i done if I have more than 100 hdisks, how to write a script like that to delete them? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rainbow_bean
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please help me to write the script

Hi All, I have written the follwing script to take the backup of the file every day along with the date. DATE=`date +%Y%m%d` export DATE cp var/hr/hr333m.txt cp var/hr/payments/hr333m_$DATE.txt The file name as follows after taking the backup. hr333m_20110630.txt Could you... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajaykumarkona
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help to write script

I am having a File format as mentioned below Employee id|Name|Languages 12345|Hema|02|English|Hindi 4567|Basha|03|Engligh|Hindi|Telegu the 02 and 03 are counters. Using that we need to generate the output records as mentioned below 12345|Hema|English 12345|Hema|Hindi ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bashamsc
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to write Config shell script to pass variables in master shell script?

Dear Unix gurus, We have a config shell script file which has 30 variables which needs to be passed to master unix shell script that invokes oracle database sessions. So those 30 variables need to go through the database sessions (They are inputs) via a shell script. one of the variable name... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dba1981
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to write config shell script to pass variables in master shell script?

Dear Unix gurus, We have a config shell script file which has 30 variables which needs to be passed to master unix shell script that invokes oracle database sessions. So those 30 variables need to go through the database sessions (They are inputs) via a shell script. one of the variable name... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dba1981
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Please write a script for me

Hi All, need one help Suppose there are two files- 1)Input files-: path1/given/to/file | File1 path2/given/to/file | file 2 etc Note- I use "|" as variable separator. 2) Target files- I want to fetch data from file1 and use in below command-: cd /path(from 1st file) ls -ltr If file(From... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shubham
2 Replies
GETFLAGS(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       GETFLAGS(8)

NAME
getflags, usage - command-line parsing for shell scripts SYNOPSIS
getflags $* usage [ progname ] DESCRIPTION
Getflags parses the options in its command-line arguments according to the environment variable $flagfmt. This variable should be a list of comma-separated options. Each option can be a single letter, indicating that it does not take arguments, or a letter followed by the space-separated names of its arguments. Getflags prints an rc(1) script on standard output which initializes the environment variable $flagx for every option mentioned in $flagfmt. If the option is not present on the command-line, the script sets that option's flag vari- able to an empty list. Otherwise, the script sets that option's flag variable with a list containing the option's arguments or, if the option takes no arguments, with the string 1. The script also sets the variable $* to the list of arguments following the options. The final line in the script sets the $status variable, to the empty string on success and to the string usage when there is an error parsing the command line. Usage prints a usage message to standard error. It creates the message using $flagfmt, as described above, $args, which should contain the string to be printed explaining non-option arguments, and $0, the program name (see rc(1)). If run under sh(1), which does not set $0, the program name must be given explicitly on the command line. EXAMPLE
Parse the arguments for leak(1): flagfmt='b,s,f binary,r res,x width' args='name | pid list' if(! ifs=() eval `{getflags $*} || ~ $#* 0){ usage exit usage } SOURCE
/src/cmd/getflags.c /src/cmd/usage.c SEE ALSO
arg(3) GETFLAGS(8)