Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users What's your most useful shell? Post 100344 by Neo on Sunday 26th of February 2006 10:23:28 PM
Old 02-26-2006
I only use KSH.

Neo

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to run unix commands in a new shell inside a shell script?

Hi , I am having one situation in which I need to run some simple unix commands after doing "chroot" command in a shell script. Which in turn creates a new shell. So scenario is that - I need to have one shell script which is ran as a part of crontab - in this shell script I need to do a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hkapil
2 Replies

2. AIX

Difference between writing Unix Shell script and AIX Shell Scripts

Hi, Please give me the detailed Differences between writing Unix Shell script and AIX Shell Scripts. Thanks in advance..... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: haroonec
0 Replies

3. Linux

How to Start a Shell as Login shell instead of ordinary shell

Hi I tried with bash --login option. but the output is siva:~$ bash --login siva:~$ is there any way to make the shell ask for user id and password ( and login as different user instead of using sudo / su ) Thx in advance Siva (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sivaswami
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help need to make a shell script run for ffmpeg vhook watermaking in shell

i have a small problem getting a batxh shell script to run in shell this is the code the problem seems to be centered around the ffmpeg command, something maybe to do with the ' ' wrapping around the vhook part command this is a strange problem , if i take the ffmpeg command and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wingchun22
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to run cmds after changing to a new env (shell) in a shell script

Hi, I am using HP-UNIX. I have a requirement as below I have to change env twice like: cadenv <env> cadenv <env> ccm start -d /dbpath ccm tar -xvf *.tar ccm rcv .... mv *.tar BACKUP but after I do the first cadenv <env> , I am unable to execute any of the later commands . ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: charlei
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

simple shell - how to get a parameter typed in a shell script

Hi, I am new to unix and using linux 7.2. I would like to create a script that would make it easyer for me to run my java programms. At the moment I have to type java myJavaprogram I am trying to write a script that will allow me to type something like this "myscript myJavaprogram" or maybe... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmitulescu
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

calling 'n' number of shell scripts based on dependency in one shell script.

Hello gurus, I have three korn shell script 3.1, 3.2, 3.3. I would like to call three shell script in one shell script. i m looking for something like this call 3.1; If 3.1 = "complete" then call 3.2; if 3.2 = ''COMPlete" then call 3.3; else exit The... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shashi369
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Any shell or hack that makes the shell command line take vi commands?

basically i'm tired of hitting the left arrow a few dozen times when correcting a mistake or modifying a history command i'd like to use vim style key shortcuts while on the command line so that a 55 moves the cursor 55 places to the left... and i want all the other vi goodies, search of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: marqul
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell script to read lines in a text file and filter user data Shell Programming and Scripting

sxsaaas (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: VikrantD
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass C shell array to another C shell script(csh) and shell(sh)

Dear Friends, Please help me on this my script name is send.csh In this i have written the statement like this set args = ( city state country price ) I want to pass this array to another c shell called receiver.csh. and i want to use it in this c shell or how to pass to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SA_Palani
2 Replies
keysh(1)						      General Commands Manual							  keysh(1)

NAME
keysh - context-sensitive softkey shell SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
is an extension of the standard Korn-shell (for a description of the basic Korn-shell functionality, see ksh(1)). uses hierarchical softkey menus and context-sensitive help to aid users in building command-lines, combining the power of the Korn-shell with the ease-of-use of a menu system. And is entirely data-driven, allowing its menus and help to be easily extended as needed. Note that during invocation, the environment variable must specify the terminal type, as defined in the terminfo(4) database (see below). COMMAND ENTRY
continually parses the command-line and always presents the user with an appropriate set of current choices on the softkey labels. The user can select these softkeys to create readable softkey commands on the command-line. automatically translates these softkey com- mands into equivalent HP-UX commands prior to executing them. Alternatively, the user can ignore the softkeys altogether in favor of entering the traditional HP-UX commands directly, as when using the Korn-shell. During command entry, ordinarily displays a status-line near the bottom of the screen. This status-line contains information such as the host name, current directory, and time and date. Whenever the user must perform an action to complete the current softkey command, temporarily displays a prompt message in place of the status-line. This message briefly describes the required action. Softkey Types presents four basic softkey types: Selecting the softkey causes to display help information associated with the next selected softkey, rather than actually performing its action. If there are more current choices than there are softkeys, breaks the choices into banks and displays a special softkey along with the first bank. Selecting the softkey causes to display the next bank of softkeys in sequence, eventually cycling back to the first. <param> parameter softkeys are displayed as a name enclosed between a pair of less-than and greater-than symbols. They indi- cate that the user-supplied text (such as a file name) should be entered into the command-line at that point, rather than actually selecting the softkey. (Actually selecting the softkey only causes to display a hint message on the status line; the command-line remains unchanged.) All other softkeys are option softkeys that can be used to insert the corresponding command or option name into the command-line. Softkeys can be selected from left to right. Editing The Command-Line supports the normal Korn-shell command-line editing modes. In addition, also recognizes the cursor movement and editing keys found on most terminals, as defined in the terminfo(4) database. These include: <Clear display> Clear the screen and command-line. If the screen is scrolled, clear only from the cursor position to the end of scrolling memory. <Clear line> Clear from the cursor position to the end of the command-line. <Delete line> Clear the entire command-line. <Insert line> Translate any softkey commands in the current command-line and then edit the result. <Delete char> Delete the character under the cursor. <Insert char> Toggle between insert and overwrite modes. <Up/Down arrow> Recall the previous/next command from the history buffer. <Left/Right arrow> Move the cursor left/right. <Home up/down> Move the cursor to the beginning/end of the command-line. <Tab> If no <Insert line> key is present, perform the <Insert line> function (see above). Otherwise, if no softkey is present, perform the function (also see above). Otherwise, perform the normal tab function. <Backtab> Move the cursor to the beginning of the previous word. <Ctrl-L> Redraw the lower lines of the screen and restore any necessary terminal modes. Visible Softkey Commands If the configuration option is enabled (see below), displays a list of configured softkey commands on the softkey labels whenever it is expecting a new command. This is the the top-level softkey menu. If the user selects one of these softkey commands, inserts its command name into the command-line then displays a sub-menu listing the com- mand's major parameters and/or options. The user can then (from left to right) select option softkeys and/or enter text in place of parameter softkeys. automatically navigates the hierarchical softkey menu, always presenting the user with an appropriate set of current choices on the softkey labels. Note that automatically redisplays the top-level softkey menu when it detects that a command separator (such as a pipe or semi-colon) has been entered, thus allowing the user to use softkeys for subsequent commands on the command-line as well as the first. Invisible Softkey Commands If the configuration option is enabled (see below) and recognizes a traditional HP-UX command being entered, it gives the user one last chance to use the softkeys by again presenting an appropriate set of current choices on the softkey labels. As with the top-level softkey menu options, the user can choose to ignore the softkeys in favor of entering the traditional HP-UX options directly. Backup Softkeys If the configuration option is enabled (see below), displays the backup softkeys and programs the terminal function keys appropriately whenever it has no other softkeys to display (such as when a command is running). These provide the traditional static softkey control which many users may be used to. Traditional HP-UX Commands If the user enters a traditional HP-UX command when is displaying its top-level softkey menu, simply displays the backup softkeys and allows the user to proceed. If subsequently detects a command separator, it again redisplays the top-level softkey menu. Softkey Command Syntax Errors Many softkey commands present the user with a set of softkey options from which exactly one (or at least one) must be selected. If the user fails to do this, treats it as a syntax error, displaying an error message and not accepting the command until the error has been cor- rected. Similarly, many softkey commands require that the user enter one or more softkey parameters before the command is semantically complete. If the user fails to do this, again treats it as a syntax error. Softkey Command Redirections The user can append redirection symbols (such as a less-than or greater-than symbol followed by a file name) following a softkey command. These are appended verbatim to the translated HP-UX command. USING KEYSH WITH TERMINAL SESSION MANAGER
When operating under the Terminal Session Manager (see tsm(1)), displays the softkeys instead of the backup softkeys. If desired, this interaction can be overridden by setting the environment variable (see below). When operating under also automatically displays the window number in the status-line. CONFIGURATION
All configuration functions are accessed through the top-level softkey command or built-in command. These functions include: o adding, placing, and deleting softkeys, o specifying backup softkeys, o selecting global options, o selecting status-line items, o restarting keysh, o writing configuration changes, and o undoing other configuration changes. Each time the user changes configuration, automatically updates the user's file. Upon subsequent invocations, automatically reconfigures itself as configured previously. Adding, Placing, And Deleting Softkeys Any of the standard softkeys (see below) can be added to the top-level softkey menu using the command. If desired, an alternate softkey label may be specified (usually in place of a cryptic HP-UX command name) using the option. By default, added softkeys are placed at the end of the last bank of the top-level softkey menu. This placement can be overridden using the option of the command or using the command. In addition to the standard softkeys, custom softkeys can also be added from custom softkey files using the or options. For a description of the softkey file format, see softkeys(4). Note that any time a softkey is added from a particular softkey file, all of the remaining softkeys from that file are automatically loaded for use as invisible softkey commands. All softkeys from a file can also be loaded for use as invisible softkey commands using the com- mand. Any of the softkeys in the top-level softkey menu can be deleted using the command. Specifying Backup Softkeys Backup softkeys are typically specified in the user's file. The basic backup softkey definition line resembles: Where <softkey> is the softkey label to display and <string> is the text string to program the terminal function key with. A maximum of eight backup softkeys can be specified. Note that backup softkeys must be explicitly added using the command before can program them. Selecting Global Options Various global options can be configured using the command, including: Enable or disable the programming of the backup softkeys. Enable or disable the softkey. Enable or disable the recognition of invisible softkey commands. Enable or disable the automatic generation of prompt messages. When enabled, displays a prompt message whenever the user must perform an action to complete the current softkey com- mand. This message briefly describes the required action. Enable or disable the use of keyboard selectors. When enabled, displays an upper-case selector character in each softkey label. Typing the unquoted (upper-case) character selects the softkey just as if its corresponding function key had been pressed. Quoting the selector char- acter in any way restores its traditional meaning. Selector keys are intended to be used on terminals that do not support a sufficient number of softkeys. Enable or disable the display of HP-UX command translations. Enable or disable the presentation and recognition of visible softkey commands. Selecting Status-Line Items Various information items can be configured into the status-line displayed at the bottom of the screen using the command, including: The host name. The user name. The current directory. The mail status based on the environment variable (i.e., or The date. The time of day. In addition, the environment variable, if set, is always displayed first in the status-line. Restarting Keysh can be forced to reread the file with the command. This command is typically used to update a to a new configuration specified in another window. can also be forced to remove the file and restart from the default user configuration with the command. Writing Configuration Changes can be forced to rewrite the file with the command. Undoing Other Configuration Changes can also be forced to rewrite the file with its original contents, thus undoing all configuration changes made since was invoked, using the command. Scaling Keysh Functionalities provides a scalable set of functionalities which can be tailored to suit personal preferences. For users who are familiar with the HP-UX command names (though not necessarily with the command options) or for users who prefer to usu- ally have the softkeys visible, the command prevents from displaying its top-level softkey menu while waiting for a command; instead, it displays the backup softkeys or softkeys, as appropriate. start-up time can then be decreased significantly by editing the file and remov- ing the lines which add visible softkeys.) For users who are also familiar with the HP-UX command options, the command prevents from displaying softkey menus for invisible softkey commands, also. And for users who have no need for the backup softkeys, the command prevents from ever programming the backup softkeys. Note that if and are all turned off, performs no softkey processing at all. effectively transforms into a Korn-shell which displays a sta- tus-line and recognizes the cursor movement and editing keys. EXAMPLES
To add the (see od(1)) softkey to the end of the top-level softkey menu and label it To add the paste(1) softkey to the beginning of the top-level softkey menu and label it To add the custom emacs softkey from the file to the top-level softkey menu immediately before the (see ls(1)) softkey, To add all invisible softkeys from the file To add the backup softkeys from the file To delete the softkey from the top-level softkey menu, To disable the softkey, To configure the user name into the status-line, To configure the exit-value of the last command executed into the status-line, To list the ten largest files in the current directory, STANDARD SOFTKEY DEFINITIONS
EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
Environment Variables Specifies the terminal type, as defined in the terminfo(4) database. This variable must be either part of invocation environment or it must be set within one of the stan- dard Korn-shell start-up files. Specifies the number of columns in the terminal screen if different than the terminfo(4) default. Specifies the number of lines in the terminal screen if not the same as the terminfo(4) default. Specifies the preferred pager to be used to display help. The default is (see more(1)). Specifies the time-zone to be used for time and date representations on the status-line. The default is Specifies the character sequence sent to the terminal by to ring the bell. The default is Specifies an alternate configuration file. The default is Specifies the maximum allowable delay between characters (in milliseconds) if they are to be treated as part of a terminal escape sequence. The default is 350 ms. If set, specifies that should mimic the behavior of the Korn-shell as closely as possible. No softkeys or status-line are displayed. This mode is particularly useful over slow modem lines. If set, specifies that should leave the terminal keypad in local mode while commands are being entered. This mimics the behavior of the Korn- shell. If set, specifies that should not reset the initial values of and Note that must be a constant character string in order for to recognize it and provide subsequent softkey assistance. Specifies arbitrary text to be included in the status-line. If set, specifies that should always simulate softkey labels and not use the built-in labels on HP terminals. If set, specifies that should not use the softkeys when is running. In this case, the user can either use the the backup softkeys, or the softkey command (see above) to switch windows. KSH DIFFERENCES
is an extension of ksh(1) with the following exceptions: Screen Updates optimizes its display output to take advantage of available terminal capabilities. Unlike the Korn-shell which often has to redraw large portions of the command-line, can simply insert or delete characters at the appropriate screen position. This makes significantly faster over slow modem lines, especially if the environment variable is set (see above). Emacs-Mode Editing The new command performs the function of the vi-mode command. An initial command recalls the history line following the history line executed as the previous command. This provides an easy mechanism to repeat a sequence of history commands. editing mode is not supported; editing mode follows the GNU emacs (18.54) definition of The ^@ and commands are not supported. The and alias functions are not supported (in lieu of true softkey support). Vi-Mode Editing The new command performs the function of the emacs-mode command. An initial command recalls the history line following the history line executed as the previous command. This provides an easy mechanism to repeat a sequence of history commands. The command is not supported. The @<letter> alias function is not supported (in lieu of true softkey support). The command performs an emacs-style nested undo; performs a traditional vi-style undo. WARNINGS
requires that the environment variable be set appropriately in your file. It also requires that and be set appropriately if running on a non-standard size terminal. Otherwise, an error message or a garbled screen display results. requires that option softkeys be selected from left to right. When editing a command-line, it is possible to back up and insert a softkey out-of-order -- resulting in a command error. initializes and and types them read-only -- do not change them. Instead, use to display additional status information. normally maintains the file without user intervention; however, start-up errors may occasionally occur and persist. In this case, either execute the command (to remove the file and revert to the default user configuration) or execute the command (to rewrite the file with the current configuration). assumes that HP-UX commands are not heavily aliased; otherwise unexpected command translations may occur. neglects the effects of the Korn-shell expansion mechanisms when counting command-line parameters, causing it to occasionally underestimate the true number of parameters specified. The emacs-mode or vi-mode editing command can often be used to pre-expand these parameters. The emacs-mode editing command and vi-mode editing command cannot be used to edit (pre-translated) softkey commands, since no subsequent command translation can occur. Adding a large number of softkeys can cause to overflow a 1-Mbyte Korn-shell data size limitation, causing disconcerting behavior. can only program the function keys on terminals whose terminfo(4) entry defines the capability; similarly, it can only use hardware softkey labels on terminals whose terminfo(4) entry defines the capability (along with specifying equal to 2). The default value for was chosen to provide reasonable response in both local and networked environments. If keysh misinterprets quickly typed emacs-mode or vi-mode editing commands as terminal escape sequences, it may be necessary to decrease this value. Specifying a (new-line) in the literal key sequence for a backup softkey causes undesired results on HP terminals; use a (carriage-return) instead. does not display softkeys when simulating softkey labels. A limited number of environment variables and arguments are exported to the pager when displaying help. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
Environment Variables determines the language in which softkeys and messages are displayed. determines the format and contents of date and time strings in the status-line. International Code Set Support Single-byte character code sets are supported. AUTHOR
was developed by HP and AT&T. FILES
main executable softkey definition file standard softkey definitions file default user configuration file message catalog user configuration file user softkey definitions file SEE ALSO
ksh(1), tsm(1), softkeys(4), terminfo(4). keysh(1)