Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX get whole command arguments in ps -ef? Post 35168 by Perderabo on Monday 31st of March 2003 12:51:41 PM
Old 03-31-2003
You read correctly. The HP-UX kernel does not save the entire argument list for later inspection. No tool can be built to get back more than the kernel saved.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

GREP Command with several arguments

Hi! $ more file yoyo haha lili ... i want to test if a "grep yoyo AND lili" works in this file. In fact, my script will carry on only if it finds in the same line "yoyo" AND "lili" How can i do? Thx! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomapam
3 Replies

2. Programming

command line arguments

Hi How to pass multi line text as a command line argument to a program. (i.e) ./a.out hi this is sample 0 file1 where hi this is sample should be stored in argv 0 in argv and so on... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bankpro
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

arguments in command line

Hi all, How many arguments can we pass while testing a prgm at command line.. I encountered an issue while passing 10 arguments. For $10 its taking argument passed for $1 followed by 'zero'. can we pass more than 9 arguments /Is there any other way. Thanks, rrs (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rrs
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

command line arguments

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I have this while loop and at the end I am trying to get it to tell me the last argument I entered. And with it like this all I get is the sentence with no value for $1. Now I tried moving done after the sentence... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: skooly5
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command line arguments.

I am working on a script wherein i need the user to enter the Build ID for eg:the command line will show enter the build ID Now on entering the build ID it should be assigned to @ARGV. How can this be done.? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Varghese
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

command line arguments

hi, can someone how to accept command line arguments as a variable using in script? like: ./scriptname arguments by accept arguments, I can use it in my script? thx! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ikeQ
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

command line arguments

hi,,,, I want to create a command prompt, for example "prompt>", so my prompt need to handle commands, for example "prompt>cmd", so i want to know how to get arguments for my own commands cmd, i.e. default argc should contain arguments count and argv should point to the argument vector i.e, for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vins_89
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Special characters in command arguments

Hey Guys, I have a program that populates a database based on input I feed it. so it would look like: cmd arg1 arg2 ... argN Now some of the arguments have special characters in them so I wrote a small script to pull the args and wrap them in quotes ('arg'). The problem is sometimes... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: aaron0001
10 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

Filter command arguments

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Execute command with integer list arguments such as myScript 8 7 2 3. Take those arguments and square all of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Learn4Life
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Loop with command line arguments

Ubuntum, Bash version: 4.3.46 Hi, how can I create a loop where the command line arguments change (increase) and every time the number of arguments is different ? ### I have many gene names... that mean gene1=$2, gene2=$3, ...... geneN=$N+1 ### some time the number of gene is 25, other... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: echo manolis
7 Replies
KILLALL(1)							   User Commands							KILLALL(1)

NAME
killall - kill processes by name SYNOPSIS
killall [-e,--exact] [-g,--process-group] [-i,--interactive] [-q,--quiet] [-v,--verbose] [-w,--wait] [-V,--version] [-S,--sid] [-c,--con- text] [-s,--signal signal] [--] name ... killall -l killall -V,--version DESCRIPTION
killall sends a signal to all processes running any of the specified commands. If no signal name is specified, SIGTERM is sent. Signals can be specified either by name (e.g. -HUP) or by number (e.g. -1). If the command name contains a slash (/), processes executing that particular file will be selected for killing, independent of their name. killall returns a zero return code if at least one process has been killed for each ilisted command. killall returns zero otherwise. A killall process never kills itself (but may kill other killall processes). OPTIONS
-e, --exact Require an exact match for very long names. If a command name is longer than 15 characters, the full name may be unavailable (i.e. it is swapped out). In this case, killall will kill everything that matches within the first 15 characters. With -e, such entries are skipped. killall prints a message for each skipped entry if -v is specified in addition to -e, -g, --process-group Kill the process group to which the process belongs. The kill signal is only sent once per group, even if multiple processes belong- ing to the same process group were found. -i, --interactive Interactively ask for confirmation before killing. -l, --list List all known signal names. -q, --quiet Do not complain if no processes were killed. -v, --verbose Report if the signal was successfully sent. -V, --version Display version information. -w, --wait Wait for all killed processes to die. killall checks once per second if any of the killed processes still exist and only returns if none are left. Note that killall may wait forever if the signal was ignored, had no effect, or if the process stays in zombie state. -S (Flask only) Specify SID: kill only processes with given SID. Mutually exclusive with -c argument. Must precede other arguments on command line. -c (Flask only) Specify security context: kill only processes with given security context. Mutually exclusive with -s. Must precede other arguments on the command line. FILES
/proc location of the proc file system KNOWN BUGS
Killing by file only works for executables that are kept open during execution, i.e. impure executables can't be killed this way. Be warned that typing killall name may not have the desired effect on non-Linux systems, especially when done by a privileged user. killall -w doesn't detect if a process disappears and is replaced by a new process with the same PID between scans. AUTHORS
Werner Almesberger <Werner.Almesberger@epfl.ch> wrote the original version of psmisc. Since version 20 Craig Small <csmall@small.drop- bear.id.au> can be blamed. SEE ALSO
kill(1), fuser(1), pgrep(1), pidof(1), ps(1), kill(2) Linux March 25, 2001 KILLALL(1)