Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX The life cycle of System logfiles Post 302785293 by vbe on Monday 25th of March 2013 09:15:11 AM
Old 03-25-2013
The default ( I dont know about the latest releases since I have none to look at...) was the file lives its life till next reboot where it becomes an OLDlogfil.log overwriting any existent and a new log file and a new one created...

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Logfiles

My server has only has access logs turned on. How do I turn on the other standard logs (i.e. I'd like to see the referring urls). Thanks in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pingdom
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Controlling logfiles

I support an app that outputs alert and audit messages to one log file (vendor says they can't be separated). The script that I have written takes a copy (mv cmd) of the file to do the separation and reformatting. I have a problem that I loose records (messages are being written constantly, upto 3+... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nhatch
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Logfiles E-mailed

Hi All There are some cron jobs ,which runs 24 hrs. Log files are generated when one job fails. So I need the log files to be emailed to my personal e-mail id. So that I can see the log files at my home If there is any error. How can I implement this in Unix shell programming. Thanks... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: deep_kol
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

End of Life / Life Cycle Information

Hello everyone, I was searching for locations where I can get End of Life information on multiple versions of Unix. I have found some information which I list below, what I have not found or confirmed is where I can get the information for: DEC Unix/OSF1 V4.0D NCR Unix SVR4 MP-RAS Rel 3.02.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: robertmcol
2 Replies

5. Solaris

system logs' life

How can you control old system logs keep(or storage) time in Solaris ? Is there any method ? it depends on buffer size long or date long ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xramm
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

split monthly logfiles into daily logfiles

Hi, I have a lot of logfiles like fooYYYYMM.log (foo200301.log, foo200810.log) with lines like YYYY-MM-DD TIMESTAMP,text1,text2,text3... but I need (for postprocessing) the form fooYYYYMMDD.log (so foo200402.log becomes foo20040201.log, foo20040202.log...) with unmodified content of lines. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: clzupp
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Logfiles

Hi All, I have a peculiar problem. I will call a script from another script. Script abc.ksh is called by ABC.ksh as ABC.ksh abc.ksh in abc.ksh I will create and redirect all the statements to log file. ABC.ksh will also has a log file. I want all the logs generated in file abc in ABC... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: javeed7
5 Replies
UTMPX(5)						      BSD File Formats Manual							  UTMPX(5)

NAME
utmpx, wtmpx, lastlogx -- user accounting database SYNOPSIS
#include <utmpx.h> DESCRIPTION
In contrast to utmp and wtmp, the extended databases in utmpx and wtmpx reserve more space for logging hostnames, and also information on a process' ID, termination signal and exit status. The <utmpx.h> header defines the structures and functions for logging user. Currently logged in users are tracked in /var/run/utmpx, a list of all logins and logouts, as well as all shutdowns, reboots and date changes, is kept in /var/log/wtmpx, and the last login of each user is noted in /var/log/lastlogx. The interface to the utmpx file is described in getutxent(3). The wtmpx file can grow rapidly on busy systems, and is normally rotated with newsyslog(8). In the event of a date change, a shutdown, or a reboot, the following items are logged in the wtmpx file: date The system time has been manually or automatically updated by date(1). The command name date is recorded in the field ut_name. In the field ut_line, the character '|' indicates the time prior to the change, and the character '{' indicates the new time. reboot shutdown A system reboot or shutdown has been initiated. The character '~' is placed in the field ut_line, and reboot or shutdown in the field ut_name (see shutdown(8) and reboot(8)), using logwtmpx(3). FILES
/var/run/utmpx The utmpx file. /var/log/wtmpx The wtmpx file. /var/log/lastlogx The lastlogx file. SEE ALSO
last(1), login(1), rwho(1), w(1), who(1), endutxent(3), logwtmpx(3), utmp(5), ac(8), init(8), newsyslog(8), reboot(8) BSD
January 31, 2007 BSD