Sponsored Content
Operating Systems BSD Open (and Free) BSD with Jmicron 20339 USB <-> SATA II chipset Post 302239832 by noratx on Wednesday 24th of September 2008 01:23:02 PM
Old 09-24-2008
with "more, but not enough", i mean this:
On FreeBSD the dive is recognized by the system, as Dmesg shows something like this:
Code:
umass0 at uhub0 port 1 configuration 1 interface 0 "JMicron USB to ATA/ATAPI Bridge" rev 2.00/1.00 addr 3
umass0: using SCSI over Bulk-Only
scsibus1 at umass0: 2 targets
sd0 at scsibus1 targ 1 lun 0: <ST325041, 0AS, > SCSI2 0/direct fixed
sd0: 238475MB, 30401 cyl, 255 head, 63 sec, 512 bytes/sec, 488397168 sec total

(The above dmesg is actually from my newly installed OpenBSD, but its very similar (if not even exactly the same)
and usbdevs shows:
Code:
[root@germany /home/noratx]# usbdevs
addr 1: OHCI root hub, (0x108e)
 addr 2: Dell USB Keyboard, Dell
 addr 3: USB to ATA/ATAPI Bridge, JMicron

But it stops there, the only device I get in FreeBSD under /dev is "sd0", nothing more.

In OpenBSD, I can actually use disklabel and create a new partition, BUT, when i want to mount it, this is what I get:

Code:
# disklabel sd0
# /dev/rsd0c:
type: SCSI
disk: SCSI disk
label: 0AS
flags: vendor
bytes/sector: 512
sectors/track: 63
tracks/cylinder: 255
sectors/cylinder: 16065
cylinders: 30401
total sectors: 488397168
rpm: 3600
interleave: 1
trackskew: 0
cylinderskew: 0
headswitch: 0           # microseconds
track-to-track seek: 0  # microseconds
drivedata: 0

16 partitions:
#                size           offset  fstype [fsize bsize  cpg]
  a:        488392065                0  4.2BSD   2048 16384    1
  c:        488397168                0  unused      0     0
# mount /dev/sd0a /share/250GB-1/
mount_ffs: /dev/sd0a on /share/250GB-1: Invalid argument

So, drive recognized, I'm able to partition (obviously), but not able to mount the disk.
Allthough, maybe this is just something I have missed, but I don't know what that could be.

Edit:
YES! I was stupid and missed one vital thing...
After using disklabel, I maybe should have used newfs.. Smilie (Here I miss a smiley with a big hand comming and smacking the forhead)... BAH!
Well, after waiting forever for OpenBSD to run newfs on my 250 GB disk, it now works.. just the way it should.
I just wish that it fould work under FreeBSD (7.0) as well, But OpenBSD is anyway better than Linux (IMHO).
Now I'm finally happy again! Thank you, and sorry for beeing a bit stupid. Smilie

Last edited by noratx; 09-24-2008 at 05:06 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Red hat or free BSD?

This is my first post here, so I thought Id make it good. I am building a webserver that will be up in a month or so, so I am starting now. I was wondering, since I am on the fence here, should I go with Red hat or BSD? I am comfortable with both, I can run apache on either one, but I am wondering... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: advok8
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Free Bsd

i am installing FREEBSD and I would like to know which hardware specific network card that works and help with this would be great I am very new to this (UNIX) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BSD_NEWUSER
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Free BSD Display Properties?

I'm very new to UNIX and just istalled FreeBSD on my computer. I using the KDE desktop and the resolution is horrible. How do I adjust this. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mbrouder
3 Replies

4. BSD

X-Windows Free BSD

so, i have a video card SIS s315 AGP and i can't cofigure X Free on free BSD to run X window. Anybody can help me solve this problem?? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dmitri-br
2 Replies

5. BSD

Free BSD X window

Can anyone help me ? I have installed Free BSD several times and I can't get the X window to work . I have installed the ports Gnome and others but for some reason when I type start x doesn't work. I downloaded the 3 i386 disks but I get to install the first one wich complete the setup and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: skyhawkfly
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hardware for UNIX/Free BSD

Hi! I'm planning to start to set up a Webserver. All software has to be freeware. I'm also planning to use Free BSD/UNIX for this project. Apache as Webserversystem and so on... Therefor I would like to have some info about what kind of hardware I need. I'm planning to buy a computer... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kargooliw
9 Replies

7. BSD

How to create IP table at Free BSD

Now, I had installed free bsd at my office. Unfortunitely, Email server have been using Local PoP3 and SMTP to our ISP with outlook. but my unix firewall sever ( free bsd ) didn't allow these port ( 110 & 25 ). How can i create the IP table to pass at server. If u have any experience about obvious... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ashraff Ali
4 Replies

8. BSD

installing free BSD

Hello friends. I am new to Unix although i am very flexible to any programming language. i was a window user. Now, no more. I have decided myself to switch to unix. Here is my problem: I burned the free BSD into my new RW CD's. I inserted the bootable manager first then, it was scanning and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bonjour2006
5 Replies

9. BSD

Free BSD Release 8.0 not recognizing CD/DVD and usb install media

Hi, I am trying to install Free BSD release 8.0 on my Dell XPS Studio laptop along with already existing Windows partition. (150GB for Win Vista, 30GB for win backup and 130 GB for Free BSD). To do trial I first installed it on Sun virtual Box in Windows where it installed without any complaints.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dheerajsuthar
2 Replies

10. BSD

USB mount of Free BSD

Hello all When I insert my USB , its says : umass0 detected . I want to ls files present in the USB. I tried mount -t msdosfs /dev/da0s1 /mnt Whats is dev/da0s1 ????? How can I mount it to use it ? Regards (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Junaid Subhani
3 Replies
DISKLABEL(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					      DISKLABEL(8)

NAME
disklabel -- read and write disk pack label SYNOPSIS
disklabel [-ACDFrtv] disk disklabel -e [-CDFIrv] disk disklabel -i [-DFIrv] disk disklabel -R [-DFrv] disk protofile disklabel -w [-DFrv] [-f disktab] disk disktype [packid] disklabel [-NW] disk disklabel -l DESCRIPTION
disklabel can be used to install, examine, or modify the label on a disk drive or pack. When writing the label, it can be used to change the drive identification, the disk partitions on the drive, or to replace a damaged label. The -e, -i, -l, -R, -w, -N, and -W options determine the basic operation. If none are specified the label is displayed. -e Edit the existing label (using EDITOR) and write it back to the disk. If EDITOR is undefined, then vi(1) is used. -i Interactively update the existing label and write it back to the disk. -l Show all known file system types (those that can be specified along a partition within the label) and exit. -R Write (restore) a label by reading it from protofile. The file should be in the same format as the default output. -w Write a standard label for the specified disktype. See disktab(5). -N Disallow writes to the disk sector that contains the label. This is the default state. -W Allow writes to the disk sector that contains the label. This state may not persist if no programs have the disk open. The majority of the rest of the options affect more than one form of the command: -A Read all labels from the disk, including ones deleted with disklabel -D. Implies -r. -C Output the partition offset and size values in <cylinder/head/sector> format. Note this format is always accepted on input with either the -e or -R flags. -D Delete all existing labels (by 1's complementing the magic number) before writing any labels to their default location. Implies -r. If -D is specified without a request to write the label, then existing labels are just deleted. -F Treat disk as a regular file. This suppresses all ioctl(2) calls, and is the default if disk is a regular file. disk is always opened using opendisk(3) even if -F is specified. Implies -r. -I If a label cannot be read from disk request the default one from the kernel. Implies -r. -f disktab Specify the name of a file to use instead of /etc/disktab. -r Read/write the disk directly rather than using ioctl(2) requests on the kernel. When writing a label, the kernel will be told about the label before the label is written and asked to write afterwards. This is the historic behaviour and can be supressed by specifying -F. -t Format the output as a disktab(5) entry. -v Be verbose about the operations being done, in particular the disk sectors being read and written. Specifying -v more than once will increase the verbosity. On systems that expect to have disks with MBR partitions (see fdisk(8)) disklabel will find, and update if requested, labels in the first 8k of type 169 (NetBSD) MBR labels and within the first 8k of the physical disk. On other systems disklabel will only look at the start of the disk. The offset at which the labels are written is also system dependent. disklabel will detect byteswapped labels, but currently cannot display them. Previous versions of disklabel could update the bootstrap code on some architectures. This functionality has been subsumed by installboot(8). FILES
/etc/disktab EXIT STATUS
The exit status of disklabel is set to indicate any errors or warnings. The values used are: 0 The disklabel utility has completed successfully. 1 A fatal error has occurred, such as unknown options passed on the command line, or writing the disklabel failed. 4 An I/O error of some sort occurred. 101..n One or more warnings occured while reading the disklabel. Subtract 100 to get the number of warnings detected. EXAMPLES
disklabel sd0 Display the in-core label for sd0 as obtained via /dev/rsd0c. disklabel -i -r sd0 Read the on-disk label for sd0, edit it using the built-in interactive editor and reinstall in-core as well as on-disk. disklabel -i -I sd0 As previous, but don't fail if there was no label on the disk yet; provide some default values instead. disklabel -e -I sd0 As previous, only edit using $EDITOR disklabel -w -r /dev/rsd0c sd2212 foo Create a label for sd0 based on information for ``sd2212'' found in /etc/disktab, using foo as the disk pack label. If you do not have an entry for your disk in /etc/disktab, you can use this style to put an initial label onto a new disk. Then dump the label to a file (using disklabel sd0 > protofile), editing the file, and replacing the label with disklabel -R sd0 protofile. disklabel -R sd0 mylabel Restore the on-disk and in-core label for sd0 from information in mylabel. DIAGNOSTICS
The kernel device drivers will not allow the size of a disk partition to be decreased or the offset of a partition to be changed while it is open. Some device drivers create a label containing only a single large partition if a disk is unlabeled; thus, the label must be written to the ``a'' partition of the disk while it is open. This sometimes requires the desired label to be set in two steps, the first one creating at least one other partition, and the second setting the label on the new partition while shrinking the ``a'' partition. SEE ALSO
opendisk(3), disklabel(5), disktab(5), dkctl(8), fdisk(8), gpt(8), installboot(8), mbrlabel(8), mscdlabel(8) BUGS
The disklabel structure stored on disk cannot support partitions/disks greater than 2TB. Please use gpt(8) and dkctl(8) to manage partitions and disks larger than 2TB. If the disk partition is not specified in the disk name (i.e., xy0 instead of /dev/rxy0c), disklabel will construct the full pathname of the disk and use the ``d'' partition on i386, hpcmips, or arc, and the ``c'' partition on all others. On the sparc, sparc64, sun2, and sun3 NetBSD systems, the size of each partition must be a multiple of the number of sectors per cylinder (i.e., each partition must be an integer number of cylinders), or the boot ROMs will declare the label invalid and fail to boot the system. In addition, the -r option should never be used on a sparc, sparc64, sun2, or sun3 system boot disk - the NetBSD kernel translates the NetBSD disk label into a SunOS compatible format (which is required by the boot PROMs) when it writes the label. Using the -r flag causes disklabel to write directly to disk, and bypass the format translation. This will result in a disk label that the PROMs will not recognize, and that therefore cannot be booted from. BSD
July 25, 2011 BSD