Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: please help me in FreeBSD
Operating Systems BSD please help me in FreeBSD Post 99547 by thmnetwork on Saturday 18th of February 2006 05:02:21 PM
Old 02-18-2006
I'm not a regular BSD user, but this can be done in a shell script using "cut"

look up the man page for "cut" and you should immediately see how you can use it to parse the output of df

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

need help with FreeBSD!!!

Hi I want to write to my output_file using: if((fptr = creat(output_file, _S_IWRITE)) == -1) { printf("output_file..."..); return (1); } for(...) { _write(fptr, buffer, BUF_SIZE); } It says "_S_IWRITE" undeclared!!! Anybody knows what function I can use for that and what I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lacasa
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

FreeBSD

I am on AOL now,and i am using 56 k,i was gonna install FreeBSD,but i dont know if aol works on BSD,or my modem. Do they work on BSD? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kita
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Freebsd 4.5

i am new at unix and am VERY confused about the compression processes. what progs do i need to unzip and zip files? there must be a standard one similar to winzip? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Mindscan
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

FreeBSD

What is FreeBSD, who does use Free? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cyberangel
3 Replies

5. BSD

FreeBSD 5.2.1

I want someone tell me the positives and negatives points of FreeBSD 5.2.1, if someone help me, i thanks a lot! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: israel
4 Replies

6. BSD

I want the Best FREEBSD

B]I want the best of the best FreeBSD version for my study in Unix...please sugest me... Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: israel
5 Replies

7. BSD

Having problem with FreeBSD 5.3

I just download the FreeBSD 5.3 i386 iso files. And I have a problem now, I can't copy the 5.3-RELEASE-i386-disc2.iso to the cd, I try a lot of times, even change lots of blank cd to try but still cannot. But I can copy the other three iso files, i.e. 5.3-RELEASE-i386-bootonly.iso,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: GarbageKing
4 Replies

8. Programming

Application crashes in FreeBSD 7.1 while working ok in FreeBSD 6.3

Hello there, My mulithreaded application (which is too large to represent the source code here) is crashing after installing FreeBSD 7.1-RELEASE/amd64. It worked properly on others machines (Dual Cores with 4GB of RAM - FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE/i386). The current machine has 2x Core 2 Duo... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Seenquev
1 Replies

9. Fedora

FreeBSD

I'm using Windows mostly and the only *nix thing I used during my life was cygwin (I like command line :)). But currently I have (by an occasion) a DVD with latest FreeBSD. I don't know why, but I want to install it... But probably, this OS is too difficult for a beginner. I heard, it's used on... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: TeenageWerewolf
3 Replies
cut(1)								   User Commands							    cut(1)

NAME
cut - cut out selected fields of each line of a file SYNOPSIS
cut -b list [-n] [file]... cut -c list [file]... cut -f list [-d delim] [-s] [file]... DESCRIPTION
Use the cut utility to cut out columns from a table or fields from each line of a file; in data base parlance, it implements the projection of a relation. The fields as specified by list can be fixed length, that is, character positions as on a punched card (-c option) or the length can vary from line to line and be marked with a field delimiter character like TAB (-f option). cut can be used as a filter. Either the -b, -c, or -f option must be specified. Use grep(1) to make horizontal ``cuts'' (by context) through a file, or paste(1) to put files together column-wise (that is, horizontally). To reorder columns in a table, use cut and paste. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: list A comma-separated or blank-character-separated list of integer field numbers (in increasing order), with optional - to indi- cate ranges (for instance, 1,4,7; 1-3,8; -5,10 (short for 1-5,10); or 3- (short for third through last field)). -b list The list following -b specifies byte positions (for instance, -b1-72 would pass the first 72 bytes of each line). When -b and -n are used together, list is adjusted so that no multi-byte character is split. -c list The list following -c specifies character positions (for instance, -c1-72 would pass the first 72 characters of each line). -d delim The character following -d is the field delimiter (-f option only). Default is tab. Space or other characters with special meaning to the shell must be quoted. delim can be a multi-byte character. -f list The list following -f is a list of fields assumed to be separated in the file by a delimiter character (see -d ); for instance, -f1,7 copies the first and seventh field only. Lines with no field delimiters will be passed through intact (useful for table subheadings), unless -s is specified. -n Do not split characters. When -b list and -n are used together, list is adjusted so that no multi-byte character is split. -s Suppresses lines with no delimiter characters in case of -f option. Unless specified, lines with no delimiters will be passed through untouched. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: file A path name of an input file. If no file operands are specified, or if a file operand is -, the standard input will be used. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of cut when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte (2^31 bytes). EXAMPLES
Example 1 Mapping user IDs A mapping of user IDs to names follows: example% cut -d: -f1,5 /etc/passwd Example 2 Setting current login name To set name to current login name: example$ name=`who am i | cut -f1 -d' '` ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of cut: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 All input files were output successfully. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
grep(1), paste(1), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5), standards(5) DIAGNOSTICS
cut: -n may only be used with -b cut: -d may only be used with -f cut: -s may only be used with -f cut: cannot open <file> Either file cannot be read or does not exist. If multiple files are present, processing continues. cut: no delimiter specified Missing delim on -d option. cut: invalid delimiter cut: no list specified Missing list on -b, -c, or -f option. cut: invalid range specifier cut: too many ranges specified cut: range must be increasing cut: invalid character in range cut: internal error processing input cut: invalid multibyte character cut: unable to allocate enough memory SunOS 5.11 29 Apr 1999 cut(1)