Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: mailx command with headers
Operating Systems Solaris mailx command with headers Post 98637 by rgremill on Thursday 9th of February 2006 04:23:10 PM
Old 02-09-2006
reborg,

I take that back. It was ultimately helpful.

It was unhelpful with regard to the mailx question, which I was still trying to use at the time I wrote that post.

But it was VERY HELPFUL because of the sendmail hint.

Hopefully this thread will help others now that the sendmail example is included.

Thanks for your sendmail hint and example!

Robert

Last edited by rgremill; 02-09-2006 at 05:51 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove certain headers using mailx or sendmail

Hello, So i want to send mails in any way from a solaris 5.8 system, perhaps using mailx or sendmail. My purpose is to stay clear of systems name in head data. So i want to strip at least the "Message-Id" and the "Recieved" headers of the mail. Yet this seems to be a bit of a problem. Now i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: congo
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove text between headers while leaving headers intact

Hi, I'm trying to strip all lines between two headers in a file: ### BEGIN ### Text to remove, contains all kinds of characters ... Antispyware-Downloadserver.com (Germany)=http://www.antispyware-downloadserver.c om/updates/ Antispyware-Downloadserver.com #2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Trones
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mailx command

Hi, This post is regarding sending mails from Unix. How can we include "bcc" in a "mailx" command. I searched google to find out the -b option; but my man pages doesnot show that option(it throws me an error: "-b not found"). It has a "~b" option but i am not sure how to use it. Could you people... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Thumban
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging of files with different headers to make combined headers file

Hi , I have a typical situation. I have 4 files and with different headers (number of headers is varible ). I need to make such a merged file which will have headers combined from all files (comman coluns should appear once only). For example - File 1 H1|H2|H3|H4 11|12|13|14 21|22|23|23... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: marut_ashu
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mailx: How to send a attachment using mailx command

Hi All, Can anyone please provide the command for sending an mail with attachment using mailx command. Thanks in Advance :) Regards, Siram. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sriram.Vedula53
3 Replies

6. Solaris

mailx command

Dear all, Every time if i use mailx it is asking for entering the From Address. I want to set it in some place, So that it will take it by default whenever we send mails. Pl help on this. Regards JeganR (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jegaraman
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using sed command to remove multiple instances of repeating headers in one file?

Hi, I have catenated multiple output files (from a monte carlo run) into one big output file. Each individual file has it's own two line header. So when I catenate, there are multiple two line headers (of the same wording) within the big file. How do I use the sed command to search for the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rebazon
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

Mailx command

Using RHEL 5.5 New to using 'mailx' Was trying to check if mailx is configured. mailx command gives a list of unread mails. Now I tried to send mail using this command to a local or on network machine using mailx -s "Test2" "root@<servername>" But did not receive any message. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ikn3
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Faster command to remove headers for files in a directory

Good evening Im new at unix shell scripting and im planning to script a shell that removes headers for about 120 files in a directory and each file contains about 200000 lines in average. i know i will loop files to process each one and ive found in this great forum different solutions... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexcol
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Curl command to post headers

I am trying post SOAP header from file to curl command. The curl command is curl -vk -H "$(cat curl-test1.txt)" -X POST https://xvcfvusdgfsd.sdfjd.gf/cmsws/CMSService The contet of curl file is POST: https://cmsuat.chrysler.com/cmsusws/CMSService HTTP/1.1 SOAPAction:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dineshaila
1 Replies
sendmail(4)							   File Formats 						       sendmail(4)

NAME
sendmail, sendmail.cf, submit.cf - sendmail configuration files SYNOPSIS
/etc/mail/sendmail.cf /etc/mail/submit.cf DESCRIPTION
The sendmail.cf and submit.cf files are the configuration files for sendmail(1M). Starting with version 8.12 of sendmail, which was shipped with version 9 of the Solaris operating system, two configuration files are used for submission and transmission of mail, instead of only sendmail.cf, as before. These are: sendmail.cf Remains the principal sendmail configuration file. Used for the Mail Transmission Agent (MTA). submit.cf Used for the Mail Submission Program (MSP). The MSP is used to submit mail messages. Unlike the MTA, it does not run as an SMTP daemon. The MSP does not require root privileges, thus the two-file model provides better security than the pre-sendmail 8.12 model, in which the MSP ran as a daemon and required root privileges. In the default sendmail configuration, sendmail uses submit.cf, as indicated in ps(1) output. In ps output, you will observe two sendmail invocations, such as the ones below: /usr/lib/sendmail -Ac -q15m /usr/lib/sendmail -bd -q15m The first indicates the use of submit.cf, with the client queue (/var/spool/clientmqueue) being checked--and, if needed, flushed--every 15 minutes. The second invocation runs sendmail as a daemon, waiting for incoming SMTP connections. As shipped, sendmail.cf and, in particular, submit.cf, are appropriate for most environments. Where a knowledgeable system administrator needs to make a change, he should use the following procedures. For sendmail.cf: 1. Change directories to the directory that contains the source files for the configuration files. # cd /etc/mail/cf/cf 2. Create a copy of the sendmail file for your system. # cp sendmail.mc `hostname`.mc 3. Edit `hostname`.mc. Make changes suitable for your system and environment. 4. Run make to generate the configuration file. # /usr/bin/make `hostname`.cf 5. Copy the newly generated file to its correct location. # cp `hostname`.cf /etc/mail/sendmail.cf 6. Restart the sendmail service. # svcadm restart sendmail You must restart sendmail for sendmail.cf file changes to take effect, as indicated in step 6. Steps 4 - 6 can be automated. See Automated Rebuilding of Configuration Files below. For submit.cf: 1. Change directories to the directory that contains the source files for the configuration files. # cd /etc/mail/cf/cf 2. Create a copy of the submit file for your system. # cp submit.mc submit-`hostname`.mc 3. Edit submit-`hostname`.mc. Make changes suitable for your system and environment. 4. Run make to generate the configuration file. # /usr/bin/make submit-`hostname`.cf 5. Copy the newly generated file to its correct location. # cp submit-`hostname`.cf /etc/mail/submit.cf You do not need to restart sendmail for changes to submit.cf to take effect. Steps 4 and 5 can be automated. See Automated Rebuilding of Configuration Files below. Enabling Access to Remote Clients The sendmail(1M) man page describes how the config/local_only property can be set to true or false to disallow or allow, respectively, access to remote clients for unmodified systems. Setting values for the following properties for the service instance svc:/network/smtp:sendmail results in automated (re)building of con- figuration files: path_to_sendmail_mc path_to_submit_mc The values for these properties should be strings which represent the path name of the .mc files referred to in steps 2 and 3 of both pro- cedures above. Recommended values are: /etc/mail/cf/cf/`hostname`.mc /etc/mail/cf/cf/submit-`hostname`.mc Each property, if set, results in the corresponding .mc file being used to (re)build the matching .cf file when the service is started. These properties persist across upgrades and patches. To prevent a patch or upgrade from clobbering your .cf file, or renaming it to .cf.old, you can set the desired properties instead. FILES
/etc/mail/cf/README Describes sendmail configuration files. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWsndmr | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Committed | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
make(1S), ps(1), sendmail(1M), svcadm(1M), attributes(5) System Administration Guide: Network Services SunOS 5.11 8 May 2008 sendmail(4)