Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting problems egreging for a '(0)' string Post 97923 by m223464 on Friday 3rd of February 2006 10:00:44 AM
Old 02-03-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahendramahendr
Madhan's command works absolutly fine.. here is how it works

$ more tmp1
hai it is the begining
this is test (0) for unix.com
also to test SYSTEM for the same
this is the end of the file

$ egrep '(0)|SYSTEM' tmp1

can you tell me what was the error you got ?
Whilst you're seeing what you think is the correct output that's because it's actually greping for 0 and SYSTEM

# cat tmp
hai it is the begining
this is test 0 for unix.com

If I want to exclude lines including (0) using your syntax I get the following result:

# egrep -v '(0)|SYSTEM' tmp
hai it is the begining

Line 5 should not have been removed if the pattern is (0)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

variable= 'cat file|wc -l' String problems

Hi, does anybody knows about wc -l, how to transform it inot a just number? this script ALWAYS executes the command3!!, However, the value of BMU_RUNNING is 1 case $BMU_RUNNING in *0) command1 ;; *1) command 2;; *)command 3;; esac The... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Santiago
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

find: problems escaping printf-command string

Hi Folks! Can you help me with this find -printf command. I seem to be unable to execute the printf-command from my shell script. I'm confused: :confused: My shell script snippet looks like this: #!/bin/sh .. COMMAND="find ./* -printf '%p %m %s %u %g \n'" echo "Command: ${COMMAND}"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: grahamb
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk: split a file using a string problems

Hi, if i use this code awk '/String/{n++}{print > f n}' f=file input I get "input" splited this way file1 String 1515 1354 2356 file 2 String 4531 0345 5345 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aloctavodia
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

problems getting a segment from a string output

Hi I'm creating a script that creates files from svn checkout and compress them using tar.gz the script gets the repository name from command line argument i need to capture a number from the last line of the output and create a file name from it. the svn returns output of all the file... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tzvio
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

String concatenation problems

#! /bin/csh set tt=12345_UMR_BH452_3_2.txt set rr=`echo $tt | cut -d_ -f1` set rr1=welcome set ff=$rr $rr1 echo $ff why $ff returned only 12345 and not 12345welcome? thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jdsignature88
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED delete string from till problems

Hi i have a file which contains 2 lines, line 1 is static data. line 2 is a very large string(over 3000char or much more). in that string are tags which i want to delete. e.g. <order1>123</order1><tag1>data</tag1><new>1</new><order2>124</order2><tag1>data</tag1> all one one line. now i... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: subby80
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problems assigning a string to a variable

Hello everyone, My problem looks quite simple , how to assign a string with spaces and lines "\n" to a variable. I've tried all kind of quoting and is impossible, bash always try to execute the string and never executes a simple assignation. This is part of the code ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: trutoman
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

String comparison problems

Req: =========== 1)I have one shell script a.sh 2)I opened Putty session , with user name = SIR100 , and i ran a.sh script in back ground and it took 5 minutes to complete.Meanwhile,i ran same script second time i.e a.sh with same user it sholud not allow to run the script , but it's... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: as234301
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problems with Multiple Pattern String Matching

I am facing a problem and I would be grateful if you can help me :wall: I have a list of words like And I have a datafile like the box of the box of tissues out of of tissues out of the book, the the book, the pen and the the pen and the I want to find Patterns of “x.*x” where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: A-V
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed or awk command to replace a string pattern with another string based on position of this string

here is what i want to achieve... consider a file contains below contents. the file size is large about 60mb cat dump.sql INSERT INTO `table1` (`id`, `action`, `date`, `descrip`, `lastModified`) VALUES (1,'Change','2011-05-05 00:00:00','Account Updated','2012-02-10... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
10 Replies
trbsd(1)						      General Commands Manual							  trbsd(1)

NAME
trbsd - Translates characters SYNOPSIS
trbsd [-Acs] string1 string2 trbsd -d [-Ac] string1 The trbsd command copies characters from the standard input to the standard output with substitution or deletion of selected characters. OPTIONS
Translates on a byte-by-byte basis. When you specify this option, trbsd does not support extended characters. Complements (inverts) the set of characters in string1 with respect to the universe of characters whose codes are 001 through 377 octal if you specify -A, and all characters if you do not specify -A. Deletes all characters in string1 from output. Changes characters that are repeated output charac- ters in string2 into single characters. DESCRIPTION
Input characters from string1 are replaced with the corresponding characters in string2. The trbsd command cannot handle an ASCII NUL (00) in string1 or string2; it always deletes NUL from the input. The tr command is a System V compatible version of trbsd. Abbreviations such as a-z, standing for a string of characters whose ASCII codes run from character a to character z, inclusive, can be used to introduce ranges of characters. Note that brackets are not special characters. Use the escape character (backslash) to remove the special meaning from any character in a string. Use the followed by 1, 2, or 3 octal digits for the code of a character. If a given character appears more than once in string1, the character in string2 corresponding to its last appearance in string1 will be used in the translation. EXAMPLES
To translate braces into parentheses, enter: trbsd '{}' '()' <textfile >newfile This translates each { (left brace) to a ( (left parenthesis) and each } (right brace) to a ) (right parenthesis). All other char- acters remain unchanged. To translate lowercase ASCII characters to uppercase, enter: trbsd a-z A-Z <textfile >newfile The two strings can be of different lengths: trbsd 0-9 # <textfile >newfile This translates each digit to a # (number sign); if string2 is too short, it is padded to the length of string1 by duplicating its last character. To translate each string of digits to a single # (number sign), enter: trbsd -s 0-9 # <textfile >newfile To trans- late all ASCII characters that are not specified, enter: trbsd -c ' -~' 'A-_' <textfile >newfile This translates each nonprinting ASCII character to the corresponding control key letter (01 translates to A, 02 to B, and so on). ASCII DEL (177), the character that follows ~ (tilde), translates to a ? (question mark). SEE ALSO
Commands: ed(1), sh(1), tr(1) Files: ascii(5) trbsd(1)