Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Weird File
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Weird File Post 96443 by rahulrathod on Friday 20th of January 2006 05:32:02 AM
Old 01-20-2006
It worked

Thanks.

But I am curious to know what kind of special character this file consists, and why it doesn't get deleted the normal way?

Rahul.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to delete a weird file name

Hi, How do I delete a file name that starts with a hypen? e.g. -unix_file_2006_10_3 I always get an erroe when I use rm command. I am using Solaris. Thanks, Hi, One of the Unix books I read to remove this weird file suggest to use: "rm ./-unix_file_2006_10_3" which I did today and file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: XZOR
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Weird Ascii characters in file names

Hi. I have files in my OS that has weird file names with not-conventional ascii characters. I would like to run them but I can't refer them. I know the ascii # of the problematic characters. I can't change their name since it belongs to a 3rd party program... but I want to run it. is there... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yamsin789
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File with a weird name 'q'

All, I have the following listing of files $ ls -lrt -rw-rw-rw- 1 user1 group1 335691 Aug 4 17:45 script1.sh -rw-rw-rw- 1 user1 group1 648 Aug 4 17:45 try,csv -rw-rw-rw- 1 user1 group1 1381275 Aug 4 17:45 test.txt -rw-rw-rw- 1 user1 group1 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahulrathod
7 Replies

4. AIX

weird file list problem

When I do a file list in my spooler directory, I get the following information #ls -l |pg -rw-rw-rw- 1 user1 ugroups 831690 Apr 03 12:52 K6A80403125051.prn :res 2330479869879093344 ext 2330477052380546512 align -rw-rw-rw- 1 user1 ugroups 5900 Apr 03 14:19 K6A80403141858.idx :res... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jmmora
8 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Weird working of File Watcher job

I have JIL script like the one below insert_job:F_SAMPLE job_type:f machine:PC001 owner:asla@PC001 watch_file:/home/shah/one/sample.trg watch_interval:90 alarm_if_fail:1Here my question is, there is a directory one under that file needs to be watched sample.trg..! but directory one owned... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: shahnazurs
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find files older than X with a weird file format

I have an issue with a korn shell script that I am writing. The script parses through a configuration file which lists a heap of path/directories for some files which need to be FTP'd. Now the script needs to check whether there are any files which have not been processed and are X minutes old. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MickAAA
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

share a shell script which can replace weird characters in directory or file name

I just finish the shell script . This shell can replace weird characters (such as #$%^@!'"...) in file or directory name by "_" I spent long time on replacing apostrophe in file/directory name added: 2012-03-14 the 124th line (/usr/bin/perl -i -e "s#\'#\\'#g" /tmp/rpdir_level$i.tmp) is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: begonia
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Weird Error moving a file

Hi, We are running into very weird error on AIX. Target directory exists on NFS. We have one script runs every 5 mins on our system. This script is running for 5 years for now without any issuess. Followig is the snapshot of the script : stmt_cnt=$(ls -1 ${1}/${2}|wc -l) if ;... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: himihir2000
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Weird ? symbol coming through-sending text file

Hi All, When I am trying to send a text file through Unix,I get a weird symbol in the .txt file. The symbol is ? in a box (square)....which is making the file unloadable. Please help me with the solution. Thanks in advance Gopi (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gopi.palleti
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Weird Error (: No such file or directory)

Hi Everyone, I am trying to make this script to use, to find out the DAHDI channel status. Every thing works fine, I even get proper results, however I have this weird error that comes along. Can someone please help me. Thanks a lot. #!/bin/bash # Color to set the test to when a channel is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeetz
3 Replies
EUC(5)							      BSD File Formats Manual							    EUC(5)

NAME
euc -- EUC encoding of wide characters SYNOPSIS
ENCODING "EUC" VARIABLE len1 mask1 len2 mask2 len3 mask3 len4 mask4 mask DESCRIPTION
EUC implements a system of 4 multibyte codesets. A multibyte character in the first codeset consists of len1 bytes starting with a byte in the range of 0x00 to 0x7f. To allow use of ASCII, len1 is always 1. A multibyte character in the second codeset consists of len2 bytes starting with a byte in the range of 0x80-0xff excluding 0x8e and 0x8f. A multibyte character in the third codeset consists of len3 bytes starting with the byte 0x8e. A multibyte character in the fourth codeset consists of len4 bytes starting with the byte 0x8f. The wchar_t encoding of EUC multibyte characters is dependent on the len and mask arguments. First, the bytes are moved into a wchar_t as follows: byte0 << ((lenN-1) * 8) | byte1 << ((lenN-2) * 8) | ... | bytelenN-1 The result is then ANDed with ~mask and ORed with maskN. Codesets 2 and 3 are special in that the leading byte (0x8e or 0x8f) is first removed and the lenN argument is reduced by 1. For example, the ja_JP.eucJP locale has the following VARIABLE line: VARIABLE 1 0x0000 2 0x8080 2 0x0080 3 0x8000 0x8080 Codeset 1 consists of the values 0x0000 - 0x007f. Codeset 2 consists of the values who have the bits 0x8080 set. Codeset 3 consists of the values 0x0080 - 0x00ff. Codeset 4 consists of the values 0x8000 - 0xff7f excluding the values which have the 0x0080 bit set. Notice that the global mask is set to 0x8080, this implies that from those 2 bits the codeset can be determined. SEE ALSO
mklocale(1), setlocale(3) BSD
November 8, 2003 BSD