Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Perl code to search for filenames that contain special characters Post 96224 by mahendramahendr on Wednesday 18th of January 2006 03:39:01 PM
Old 01-18-2006
#!/usr/bin/perl -w

open(FLDR," find . -name '*' | sed 's/\\\\/\\\\\\\\/g' | ");
while( $line=<FLDR> )
{
my $vl = qx(basename $line);

if ( $vl =~ /\*|\<|\>|\?|\||:|\\|\// )
{
$line =~ s/\\\\/\\/g;
print "Patter found in $line";
}
}
close FLDR;

output :

$ tmp2.pl
Patter found in ./mah*ab
Patter found in ./amh\hai

is this ok ?

Last edited by mahendramahendr; 01-18-2006 at 04:51 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

search special characters in a file

Hello I am new to shell scripting and can anyone tell me how to check if there are any special characters in a file. Can i use grep ? thanks susie (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cramya80
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Open filename with special characters in Perl

Hi All, I am facing a weird problem. I have got a directory structure copied from windows to Linux. Some of the folders are named like /gfs/data/Dow Jones $5/ DJ FCBOT_O_tick_1998.zip /gfs/data/Dow Jones $5/ DJ FCBOT_O_tick_2000.CSV /gfs/data/Dow Jones... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mitrashatru
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove special characters from text using PERL

Hi, I am stuck with a problem here. Suppose i have a variable which is assigned some string containing special charatcers. for eg: $a="abcdef^bbwk#kdbcd@"; I have to remove the special characters using Perl. The text is assigned to the variable implicitly. How to do it? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: agarwal
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Want the substring of a string with special characters using perl

Hi, I am trying to separate the directory from the filename using the substring and it does not like it. $Complete_name="C:\ABCD\Reports_Split\090308.1630" I want $File_Name as 090308.1630 I tried using Substring function and it does not like slashes in the complete_name. Any... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sushma0907
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

special characters handling in perl

Hi, Here is my piece of code-- sub per_user_qna_detail { for($index=0;$index<@records;$index++) { if($records =~ m/^(.*)\s*Morocco.*Entering\s*Module::authenticate/) { printf "INSIDE per_user_qna_detail on LINE NO $index\n"; $Time_Stamp = $1;... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: namishtiwari
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace special characters in multiple files - perl

I have 100 files, where i want to search a set of strings and make the replacement by other strings In the first case I want to include a parameter in the name of a file LOG_DCT = $ LOG_DIR/DCT_GERAL_"$DATAINI".log replace to : LOG_DCT = $ LOG_DIR / DCT_GERAL_ $ 1_ "$ DATAINI". log I did... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: RMSoares
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk search pattern with special characters passed from CL

I'm very new to awk and sed and I've been struggling with this for a while. I'm trying to search a file for a string with special characters and this string is a command line argument to a simple script. ./myscript "searchpattern" file #!/bin/sh awk "/$1/" $2 > dupelistfilter.txt sed... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cue
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: windows filenames escape characters

I have a perl find program that will find all files of window application stored on unix disks. Ofcourse these files contain all the weird characters windows allows, but on *nix pukes out all kinds of unwanted effects when processing these. Is their a utility that will escape all these... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: karelb
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search avoiding special characters

Hi all, I have a list which I want to search in another file. I can do that using grep -f but the search is failing due to special characters, how do I solve this? One row in that list is amino-acid permease inda1 gb|EDU41782.1| amino-acid permease inda1 Input file to be searched... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gina.lizar
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search special characters in a file and replace with meaningful text messages like Hello

Search special characters in a file and replace with meaningful text messages like Hello (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raka_rjit
2 Replies
BASENAME(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 					       BASENAME(1)

NAME
basename, dirname -- return filename or directory portion of pathname SYNOPSIS
basename string [suffix] basename [-a] [-s suffix] string [...] dirname string [...] DESCRIPTION
The basename utility deletes any prefix ending with the last slash '/' character present in string (after first stripping trailing slashes), and a suffix, if given. The suffix is not stripped if it is identical to the remaining characters in string. The resulting filename is written to the standard output. A non-existent suffix is ignored. If -a is specified, then every argument is treated as a string as if basename were invoked with just one argument. If -s is specified, then the suffix is taken as its argument, and all other arguments are treated as a string. The dirname utility deletes the filename portion, beginning with the last slash '/' character to the end of string (after first stripping trailing slashes), and writes the result to the standard output. EXIT STATUS
The basename and dirname utilities exit 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
The following line sets the shell variable FOO to /usr/bin. FOO=`dirname /usr/bin/trail` SEE ALSO
csh(1), sh(1), basename(3), dirname(3) STANDARDS
The basename and dirname utilities are expected to be IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') compatible. BSD
April 18, 1994 BSD