Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Searching a directoy
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Searching a directoy Post 95029 by gumsun on Thursday 5th of January 2006 05:18:39 PM
Old 01-05-2006
I got it Thanks !

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

searching for {

Hello, I am having a hard time trying to do the following: I have a file that looks like this: 0 CacheMaxConn 4 64 0 RMThread 16 3423423 7 DataSource 0 /hello/sas/ses 0 {94545B4-E343-1410-81E4-08000000} 3 DDBE 3 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yotoruja
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

searching searching

Guys Im checking some of my files for errors. I want to be able to find text and make sure it's located on the right place. Example Chapter 1 TEXT LKJ TEXT 12Y more and more text Chapter 2 TEXT 34G TEXT HHG more and more text Chapter 3 TEXT FG45 TEXT 11w more and more text ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tony3101
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Searching in VI

Hi, I would like to do a search and replace on a file using vi. Something like this: :%s/dst_port=****//g I want to search the entire file and replace all text that does not match dst_port=**** with space or nothing. In other words delete everything except for dst_port=****. The four *... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: andyblaylock
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

searching

How would i search to find all the lines consisting of of only the letter "z" followed by any four characters? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: trob
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

searching and mapping

Hi, I just started looking into various aspect of unix shell scripting. I am completely new to the world of UNIX. Could any one help me in solving the following requirement. I have a parameter file with some data e.g. sample.param ------------- Andrew=201 Bob=219 Shelly=239... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mamatabbsr
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Searching

Hi guys, I have a very common issue :( im trying to work it out but I am still not used to it. my problem is searching. very often I should look for piece of string in a text file or a file itself: I want to learn some easy and professional commands to ease this routine for me. I want to be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: messi777
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

searching a file with a specified text without using conventional file searching commands

without using conventional file searching commands like find etc, is it possible to locate a file if i just know that the file that i'm searching for contains a particular text like "Hello world" or something? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arindamlive
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Directoy Size - avoid cannot read directory

Hello, I need to write a script to check directory size on a linux server. I do not have access to some directories Inside the directory tree so I've got some warning in the output that say : du : cannot read directory .... Could you please help me. I did try Inside of my script to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aswex
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can we automaitcally sync/copy files from one directoy to another ?

Hi, I would like to achieve below requirement, I have a directory "/mydir" and I want to automatically sync/copy all the content of /mydir directory to "/yourdir" directory all the time. meaning, if some application creates a file in /mydir, it supposed to be copied/available in "/yourdir"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aaron8667
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

One directory, extracting only files to a new directoy

I need a hint for extracting and copying only the loads of .mp3 files from one directory and its subdirectories to get them all into only one directory. This way I am doing gives me a identical copy with hundreds of subdirectories. But I just don't get it to extract only the files. Though I tried... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: 1in10
9 Replies
rmdir(2)							System Calls Manual							  rmdir(2)

NAME
rmdir() - remove a directory file SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
The system call removes a directory file whose name is given by path. The directory must be empty (except for the files and before it can be removed. RETURN VALUE
returns the following values: Successful completion. Failure. is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
If fails, is set to one of the following values. [EACCES] A component of the path prefix denies search permission. [EACCES] Write permission is denied on the directory containing the link to be removed. [EACCES] The process does not have read/write access permission to the parent directory. [EBUSY] The directory to be removed is the mount point for a mounted file system. [EBUSY] The path is the current working directory. [EEXIST] The named directory is not empty. It contains files other than and [EFAULT] path points outside the process's allocated address space. The reliable detection of this error is implementation- dependent. [ELOOP] Too many symbolic links were encountered in translating the path name. [ENAMETOOLONG] The length of the specified path name exceeds bytes, or the length of a component of the path name exceeds bytes while is in effect. [ENOENT] The named file does not exist. [ENOTDIR] A component of the path is not a directory. [EPERM] The directory containing the directory to be removed has the sticky bit set and neither the containing directory nor the directory to be removed are owned by the effective user ID. [EROFS] The directory entry to be removed resides on a read-only file system. AUTHOR
was developed by the University of California, Berkeley and HP. SEE ALSO
mkdir(2), unlink(2), remove(3C), privileges(5). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
rmdir(2)