Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers restoring old /etc permissions Post 9448 by su on Friday 26th of October 2001 06:20:15 PM
Old 10-26-2001
restoring old /etc permissions

A co-worker inadvertently changed all the permissions in /etc by doing 'chmod *' ....

Anyway, we have a backup tape to restore from, but I'm not sure how to use the 'restore' command and options to just restore the permissions.

Would appreciate any recommendation/suggestion.

Thanks in advance

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Restoring a file from Tape

help please i have "inherited" a Sco Server (the administrator departed in a hurry...yes we are chasing him..) and haven't used Unix for 8 years. i have a file that i need to retrieve from a tape. i have been able to find the file on tape using the cpio -ivt command. however... the problem I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mfischer
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

restoring backups

okay.. pple.. say now i got an aix box. of course i could restore a backup done in aix environment. 1) now how about doing a restore from sun, hp from the aix box.? 2) can we install a sun, hp os into an aix box? 3) if (1) prohibits, then how about doing an sun, hp os installation on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yls177
1 Replies

3. AIX

restoring mksysb urgent

Guys, Got a very urgent question here. I accindently deleted everything on my RS600, with the rm -R command. Now I want to restore an mksysb tape but I get the following error. format on /dev/rmt1.1 is not in backup format please mount /dev/rmt1.1 and press enter. Can anyone help me... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Erik Rooijmans
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

restoring deleted files

I had a user run, by accident, the following line command on our UNIX server: rm -f /usr/* This apparently deleted some needed files on your system. Having very limited knowledge in UNIX, I thought I would ask the group if anyone knows how I can recover these file? The version of UNIX is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mikem
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Restoring a file

I'm new to Unix and have just wrote a little program to move files to a recycle bin (a Directory i created) and restore them. The problem is that i need to keep track of all the full filenames so that i can restore them to the right place. I did this by creating a file called delreg and putting the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zoolz
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Restoring tape files...

Hi all, I have kinda inherited this problem, but was wondering if anyone else had any ideas. Currently all our backup rentention periods are set to 2 weeks, so that we can cycle through tapes (save money etc...). Anyhow the guys next door in IT, decided one day long long ago, that it would... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: B14speedfreak
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Restoring files from CVS !

I have accidently removed a file using the command rm -r "file.txt" (I have removed it locally !) I need to restore the file.txt to my existing CVS version.How can I do it ? Please help. Thank you. :wall: (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gameboy87
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Restoring problem on tape!

hi all , a messages appeared to me when i was checking my /var/adm/messages and the below code was in it Oct 6 13:15:21 medprod scsi: /pci@3,700000/SUNW,emlxs@0/fp@0,0/st@w21000024ff305234,7 (st1): Oct 6 13:15:21 medprod Restoring tape position at fileno=320,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: semaan
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying/Restoring UNIX O/S

can someone shed just a little light in the broadest sense, not actual commands, on what is involved in copying a UNIX install from one HD to another, or if that is even possible Can I use DOS as a frame of reference or is that at all relevant? With DOS (and early Windows versions) You could... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrishouse
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Restoring deleted file with rm -rf

Is there a way I could recover a deleted text file with "rm -rf" command. Running CentOS 6.5. Thank you. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: galford
5 Replies
READ_TAPE(8)						       AFS Command Reference						      READ_TAPE(8)

NAME
read_tape - Reads volume dumps from a backup tape to a file SYNOPSIS
read_tape -tape <tape device> -restore <# of volumes to restore> -skip <# of volumes to skip> -file <filename> [-scan] [-noask] [-label] [-vheaders] [-verbose] [-help] DESCRIPTION
read_tape reads an OpenAFS backup tape and prompts for each dump file to save. This command does not require any OpenAFS infrastructure. This command does not need an OpenAFS client or server to be available, which is not the case with the backup(8) command. The dump files will be named for the Read/Write name of the volume restored. After saving each dump file, vos restore or restorevol can be used to restore the volume into AFS and non-AFS space respectively. read_tape reads the tape while skipping the specified number of volumes. After that, it restores the specified number of volumes. read_tape doesn't rewind the tape so that it may be used multiple times in succession. OPTIONS
-tape <tape device> Specifies the tape device from which to restore. -restore <# of volumes to restore> Specifies the number of volumes to restore from tape. -skip <# of volumes to skip> Specifies the number of volumes to skip before starting the restore. -file <filename> Specifies an alternate name for the restored volume dump file rather than the default of the volume name. -scan Scans the tape. -noask Doesn't prompt for each volume. -label Displays the full dump label. -vheaders Displays the full volume headers. -verbose Produces on the standard output stream a detailed trace of the command's execution. If this argument is omitted, only warnings and error messages appear. -help Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored. EXAMPLES
The following command will read the third through fifth volumes from the tape device /dev/tape without prompting: % read_tape -tape /dev/tape -skip 2 -restore 3 -noask PRIVILEGE REQUIRED
The issuer must have access to read and write to the specified tape device. SEE ALSO
backup(8), restorevol(1), vos_restore(1) COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2007 Jason Edgecombe <jason@rampaginggeek.com> This documentation is covered by the BSD License as written in the doc/LICENSE file. This man page was written by Jason Edgecombe for OpenAFS. OpenAFS 2012-03-26 READ_TAPE(8)