Sponsored Content
Special Forums IP Networking Howto configure AIX DHCP Client ? Post 9429 by zumbi on Friday 26th of October 2001 01:06:58 PM
Old 10-26-2001
Code:
# ifconfig -a
lo0: flags=e08084b<UP,BROADCAST,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST,GROUPRT,64BIT>
        inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000 broadcast 127.255.255.255
        inet6 ::1/0
en0: flags=e080863<UP,BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST,GROUPRT,64BIT>
        inet 62.2.67.90 netmask 0xfffffe00 broadcast 62.2.67.255
et0: flags=e080863<UP,BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST,GROUPRT,64BIT>
        inet 0.0.0.0 netmask 0x0
#

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

How to configure Dhcp in linux?

Please let me know step by step, I am new to this configuration.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhineshcs
2 Replies

2. SCO

dhcp client

I have openserver 5.0.7 running on a machine and would like to know how to configure a dhcp client for it and make it run at startup. Thank you. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: izzzy
1 Replies

3. IP Networking

How to configure DHCP to Static IP

I am pretty new to this. My router was earlier configured to enable DHCP, thus my UNIX box is using the dhcp address, i.e. I have to do a ifconfig dhcp hme0 start. Since I am planning to use my NT as a web server, I needed to use the static IP address. How do I configure the unix box to use the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lee30320
5 Replies

4. Solaris

Failed to configure IPv4 for DHCP afe0

Hi All, i have been accessing ip address through DHCP for my windows..i tried to configure the same for solaris also and got the error " Failed to configure IPv4 for DHCP afe0 " can anyone explain what should i do ...i want to acees internet in solaris am i need to configure for... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: srikanthg
0 Replies

5. AIX

aix-configure nim client

:b:Hi... I need help to configure nim client on nim server.. can i define aix 5.3.4.0 on aix 5.3.7.0 nim server.. while i m configuring nim client on nim server its getting msg that images not same.. i need to confirm that both version should be same or not.. Thanks.. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumathi.k
5 Replies

6. IP Networking

HOWTO: Linux multihomed dns client

The Linux resolver queries all nameservers in the order they are listed in /etc/resolver.conf. If a nameserver times out, it advances on to the following nameserver. But, if a nameserver returns "not found" (NXDOMAIN) it stops. This behaviour is problematic when you need to resolve names from... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: colemar
0 Replies

7. IP Networking

HOWTO: Linux multihomed dns client - reverse lookup

The following thread is closed: 133552-howto-linux-multihomed-dns-client (Sorry I am not allowed to post URLs) Therefore I write this append in an own thread. The HOWTO in the referenced thread helped me a lot and I only want to append how to make reverse lookup working for a local zone: ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: scheruga
0 Replies

8. Solaris

How to configure the host to dhcp mode

I try a static ip assign mode while i installed the Solaris 10(U 8). But i can't access the internet, i try the ifconfig -a command and see my configuration is correct in the interface. So i want to get my ip using dhcp. I search from internet. They give me the suggestions. ifconfig interface... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: papertiger
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Configure network in unix with dynamic ip on my DHCP server?

can anyone tell me how can i configure network in unix with dynamic ip on my DHCP server?? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Reham.Donia
7 Replies

10. IP Networking

About Configure the DHCP to assign the Default-Gateway

I have a question. How to write the DHCP to assign the default-gateway to clients. Thank you. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thsecmaniac
2 Replies
CARP(4) 						   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						   CARP(4)

NAME
carp -- Common Address Redundancy Protocol SYNOPSIS
pseudo-device carp [count] DESCRIPTION
The carp interface is a pseudo-device which implements and controls the CARP protocol. carp allows multiple hosts on the same local network to share a set of IP addresses. Its primary purpose is to ensure that these addresses are always available, but in some configurations carp can also provide load balancing functionality. A carp interface can be created at runtime using the ifconfig carpN create command. To use carp, the administrator needs to configure at minimum a common virtual host ID and virtual host IP address on each machine which is to take part in the virtual group. Additional parameters can also be set on a per-interface basis: advbase and advskew, which are used to con- trol how frequently the host sends advertisements when it is the master for a virtual host, and pass which is used to authenticate carp advertisements. Finally carpdev is used to specify which interface the carp device attaches to. If unspecified, the kernel attempts to set carpdev by looking for another interface with the same subnet. These configurations can be done using ifconfig(8), or through the SIOCSVH ioctl. Additionally, there are a number of global parameters which can be set using sysctl(8): net.inet.carp.allow Accept incoming carp packets. Enabled by default. net.inet.carp.preempt Allow virtual hosts to preempt each other. It is also used to failover carp interfaces as a group. When the option is enabled and one of the carp enabled physical interfaces goes down, advskew is changed to 240 on all carp interfaces. See also the first example. Disabled by default. net.inet.carp.log Log bad carp packets. Disabled by default. net.inet.carp.arpbalance Balance local traffic using ARP. Disabled by default. EXAMPLES
For firewalls and routers with multiple interfaces, it is desirable to failover all of the carp interfaces together, when one of the physical interfaces goes down. This is achieved by the preempt option. Enable it on both host A and B: # sysctl -w net.inet.carp.preempt=1 Assume that host A is the preferred master and 192.168.1.x/24 is configured on one physical interface and 192.168.2.y/24 on another. This is the setup for host A: # ifconfig carp0 create # ifconfig carp0 vhid 1 pass mekmitasdigoat 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 # ifconfig carp1 create # ifconfig carp1 vhid 2 pass mekmitasdigoat 192.168.2.1/24 netmask 255.255.255.0 The setup for host B is identical, but it has a higher advskew: # ifconfig carp0 create # ifconfig carp0 vhid 1 advskew 100 pass mekmitasdigoat 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 # ifconfig carp1 create # ifconfig carp1 vhid 2 advskew 100 pass mekmitasdigoat 192.168.2.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 Because of the preempt option, when one of the physical interfaces of host A fails, advskew is adjusted to 240 on all its carp interfaces. This will cause host B to preempt on both interfaces instead of just the failed one. In order to set up an ARP balanced virtual host, it is necessary to configure one virtual host for each physical host which would respond to ARP requests and thus handle the traffic. In the following example, two virtual hosts are configured on two hosts to provide balancing and failover for the IP address 192.168.1.10. First the carp interfaces on Host A are configured. The advskew of 100 on the second virtual host means that its advertisements will be sent out slightly less frequently. # ifconfig carp0 create # ifconfig carp0 vhid 1 pass mekmitasdigoat 192.168.1.10 netmask 255.255.255.0 # ifconfig carp1 create # ifconfig carp1 vhid 2 advskew 100 pass mekmitasdigoat 192.168.1.10 netmask 255.255.255.0 The configuration for host B is identical, except the skew is on virtual host 1 rather than virtual host 2. # ifconfig carp0 create # ifconfig carp0 vhid 1 advskew 100 pass mekmitasdigoat 192.168.1.10 netmask 255.255.255.0 # ifconfig carp1 create # ifconfig carp1 vhid 2 pass mekmitasdigoat 192.168.1.10 netmask 255.255.255.0 Finally, the ARP balancing feature must be enabled on both hosts: # sysctl -w net.inet.carp.arpbalance=1 When the hosts receive an ARP request for 192.168.1.10, the source IP address of the request is used to compute which virtual host should answer the request. The host which is master of the selected virtual host will reply to the request, the other(s) will ignore it. This way, locally connected systems will receive different ARP replies and subsequent IP traffic will be balanced among the hosts. If one of the hosts fails, the other will take over the virtual MAC address, and begin answering ARP requests on its behalf. Note: ARP balancing only works on the local network segment. It cannot balance traffic that crosses a router, because the router itself will always be balanced to the same virtual host. SEE ALSO
netstat(1), sysctl(3), arp(4), arp(8), ifconfig(8), sysctl(8) HISTORY
The carp device first appeared in OpenBSD 3.5. BSD
October 16, 2003 BSD