Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: extract from tar backup
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users extract from tar backup Post 9391 by krishna on Friday 26th of October 2001 05:33:40 AM
Old 10-26-2001
extract from tar backup

Hi All,

I have created a tar file by giving the below command :

all files of directory : /Accounts/2001/10/26

$tar -cvf Act26.tar /Accounts/2001/10/26

I copied into another server and given the following command:

$tar -xvf Act26.tar

then permision denied message came due to the above directory not exits in that new server,

my doubt is how to extract the file into required directory without creating the above directory?

Now I am in on-line and waiting for reply...

Please mail me to : ::email removed::

Thanks
krishna

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

tar backup

Hi all, I would like to append list of files to already taken tar backup file. can anybody help? last month backup : cd /accounts/11 tar -cvf monthback.tar * Now I want to add /accounts/12 to monthback.tar is it possible? Krishna (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: krishna
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar backup problems

Im trying to use tar to backup the os directories. I have a file called bdirs which contains a list of the directories that im trying to backup: /bin /dev /devices /etc /export /home /kernel /lib /local /mnt /opt /platform /proc /sbin start /usr /var /vol (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: blakmk
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Backup help/advice using TAR

Every day we back up all files on our system that are older than 7 days, so effectively we do a day's worth at a time. The way we do this is to issue a find command using mtime +7 - we then loop round and for each result we issue a MV to move the file to a newly created directory. We then TAR the... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: tonysab
20 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tar backup

I am trying to do a full system backup using tar. It then after maybe 12 or so hours comes up with tar: write error: unexpected EOF. I have thoroughly cleaned the drive and tried to use a different drive but it still gives me this error. Can someone help. I am on solaris 8. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TMashie
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract one file form .tar.gz without uncompressing .tar.gz file

hi all, kindly help me how to extract one file form .tar.gz without uncompressing .tar.gz file. thanks in advance bali (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: balireddy_77
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Backup with tar

Hi friends, I am planning to backup my Solaris Servers to SAN storage using tar. Also palnning to automate the job using Crontab. Can anyone advise how to make the date change automatically everyday for backup. Pls correct me if I am wrong. Thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris5.10
7 Replies

7. Linux

extract glibc-2.3.2.tar.tar

Hi, how can I extract glibc-2.3.2.tar.tar file ? I used tar -xf but does not work. Thank you. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tar differential backup

I am backing up some data to an NTFS formatted backup drive. I have to preserve the Unix permissions of the data being backed up and therfore use backup into a tar file. I would like to backup the differnential data in the tar file similiar to how Rsync works so as to save on backup time as it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jelloir
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

File Backup - TAR help

Hi, Another rookie here. I have a script I am developing to backup files from various directories onto a windows machine. Script description: - mv files from various directories - tar all files in that directory - export to windows server for safe keeping, external backups. The... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcclunyboy
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Do I need to extract the entire tar file to confirm the tar folder is fine?

I would like to confirm my file.tar is been tar-ed correctly before I remove them. But I have very limited disc space to untar it. Can I just do the listing instead of actual extract it? Can I say confirm folder integrity if the listing is sucessful without problem? tar tvf file1.tar ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vivien_chu
1 Replies
chroot(1M)						  System Administration Commands						chroot(1M)

NAME
chroot - change root directory for a command SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/chroot newroot command DESCRIPTION
The chroot utility causes command to be executed relative to newroot. The meaning of any initial slashes (/) in the path names is changed to newroot for command and any of its child processes. Upon execution, the initial working directory is newroot. Notice that redirecting the output of command to a file, chroot newroot command >x will create the file x relative to the original root of command, not the new one. The new root path name is always relative to the current root. Even if a chroot is currently in effect, the newroot argument is relative to the current root of the running process. This command can be run only by the super-user. RETURN VALUES
The exit status of chroot is the return value of command. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Using the chroot Utility The chroot utility provides an easy way to extract tar files (see tar(1)) written with absolute filenames to a different location. It is necessary to copy the shared libraries used by tar (see ldd(1)) to the newroot filesystem. example# mkdir /tmp/lib; cd /lib example# cp ld.so.1 libc.so.1 libcmd.so.1 libdl.so.1 libsec.so.1 /tmp/lib example# cp /usr/bin/tar /tmp example# dd if=/dev/rmt/0 | chroot /tmp tar xvf - ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cd(1), tar(1), chroot(2), ttyname(3C), attributes(5) NOTES
Exercise extreme caution when referencing device files in the new root file system. References by routines such as ttyname(3C) to stdin, stdout, and stderr will find that the device associated with the file descriptor is unknown after chroot is run. SunOS 5.11 15 Dec 2003 chroot(1M)