Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris how can I change user name and password , of account ? Post 93825 by ashterix on Thursday 22nd of December 2005 10:27:14 AM
Old 12-22-2005
usermod - modify a user's login information on the system

-l new_logname Specify a string of printable characters
that specifies the new login name for the
user. It may not contain a colon (Smilie or a
newline (\n).

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ftp account change password

How can I change the password from an ftp user account on a ssh server? Please give me simple instructions for a users who hasn't a lot of experience. :D Just the words in form of a list thanks a lot. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: m.seidenberg
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can't change password for a user

All, I am unable to change a password for the user called : poller I am logged in as root When I do the following command passwd poller New Password: Permission denied Whe i enter the new password, it gives the above error. When i log in as poller and then execute the command, then... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahulrathod
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Change other account password from root access

Hi, I have forgotten my personal account password but I still have the root access to the box. Please tell me how can I change my other account password by logging as root. Thanks. Rakesh :D (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakeshou
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Change Account to not lock account if password expires

I have access to 15+ UNIX boxes at work, and I do not consistently log onto all of them over time. When I do try to access one I havent been on in awhile, my account is locked as the password has expired. I need to request to the UNIX SA's that the password expiration is 90 days and that if it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: stringzz
1 Replies

5. Debian

password less login to root from a user account

hello friends, one user is created named "user1" I login as "user1" . Now when i do "su -" to be root user I have to give password for root . Is there any way through which we can skip giving the password to root. i.e. user1@work:~$ su - Password: xxxxxx work:~$ I don't want that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pradeepreddy
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create new user account and password in shell script

I am trying to create a shell script that will: check if a specific user already exists if not, create a specific group and create the user in that group assign a password to that user, where the password is passed in as a parameter to the script The problem that I need help with is 3 on... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: killuane
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing password when changing the user account

Hi All, I have one requirment.. I need to change my id to some sudo account in a server.. Actually our username/passwd will be stored in one gip file like below... $cat .a.gz #It's hidden file username passwd $ So I tried the below script to pass the password when i sudo to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghu.iv85
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

block user account after failed password

hi guys I have Centos 5.4 The idea is lock the user account for 3 minutes after he has entered his password incorrectly 3 times. I've modified /etc/pam.d/system-auth auth required pam_tally.so onerr=fail per_user deny=3 account required pam_tally.so resetbesides... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kopper
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to change LPad user password?

Hi Gurus, I am lpad user in some of my server. I need to change password at certain period time. I am wondering what is the command to change the passwd. last time I asked my unix admin, they gave me a comand I chagned it. (I forgot to keep it in safe place, I lost it). this time when... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ken6503
2 Replies

10. Linux

Not able to change user password

hi I am not able to change user password from root user. although it is saying updated successfully. but still I am not able to login direct to abc user. however I can login from root user by using su - abc # passwd abc Changing password for user abc. New password: BAD PASSWORD: it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptor
2 Replies
usermod(1M)															       usermod(1M)

NAME
usermod - modify a user login on the system SYNOPSIS
uid group] groupgroup]...] dir shell] comment] inactive] new_logname] expire] encrypted_password] alternate_password_file] login DESCRIPTION
The command modifies a user login on the system by changing the appropriate login related files. The command requires the login argument. login is the login name, specified as a string of printable characters. It may not contain a colon or a newline Refer to usergroupname(5) to understand the functionality changes with the Numeric User Group Name feature. New Behavior If the primary group of a user is modified, then the user name is not added to the primary group entry in file. However, if option is specified the user is added to the corresponding supplemental group. Options The command supports the following options: Specify the UID for the user. uid must be a non-negative decimal integer less than as it is defined in the header file. Allow the UID to be non-unique (that is, a duplicate). Specify the integer group ID or character string name of an existing group. This redefines the primary group membership of the login. Specify the integer group ID or character string name of an existing group. This redefines the supplemental group memberships of the login. Duplicates within group with the and options are ignored. Specify the new home directory of the login. It defaults to base_dir/login, where login is the login and base_dir is the base directory for new login home directories. Move the user's home directory to the directory specified with the option. The operation cannot be performed if the user's home directory is the root directory or if the user's home directory is specified in the configuration file. See usermod(4). If the home directory exists, the direc- tory must have read and execute permission by group, where group is the primary group of the login. This condi- tion can be overridden using the option. Inherit an existing home directory, regardless of its current access permissions. Typically use this option to inherit orphaned directories, that is, directories that are not owned by any active user of the system. Note that using the option will impact shared home directories; hence use the option with caution. The permissions will be same as that of newly created home directory. Specify the full pathname of the login shell. The value of shell must be a valid executable file. Specify the comment field present in the entry of this login. This can be any text string. A short description of the login is suggested for this field. Specify the maximum number of days of continuous inactivity of the login before the account is locked. For the valid values of inactive refer to description of inactivity field in shadow(4). Specify the new login name for the user. It consists of a string of printable characters that does not contain a colon or a newline Specify the date on which this login can no longer be used. After the expire date occurs, no user will be able to access this login. This option is used to create temporary logins. expire, which is a date, may be typed in any desired format, except a Julian date. For example, a date may be entered as either of the following: A value of (two single quotes) or (two double quotes) results in no expiration date. Specify the encrypted password for the user. Before using the option, obtain the encrypted password by using or (see crypt(3C) or crypt2(3C)). Force the changes, even if the login is currently in use. Indicate that modifications are to be made to the alternate password file of NIS specified by the option. The following options edit the password file and should not be used with the option: Specify the path of the alternate password file of NIS. The option is used with the option. The and options are supported only if are in use. For details refer to pwconv(1M). In the event where a directory is shared by users of the same group and the owner of that directory is modified, then the ownership of that directory is propagated to the next user who is sharing that directory. The new owner is determined by looking at the order in which the users sharing this directory are added to the file. If there is only one user remaining then the directory is brought back to unshared mode by resetting the permissions to from If a directory is shared by users, then one cannot change the primary group of any of these users unless the home directory of that user is also changed. NIS The command is aware of NIS user and group entries. Only local users and groups may be modified with this command. Attempts to modify an NIS user or group will result in an error. NIS users and groups must be administered from the NIS server. NIS users are checked when ver- ifying the uniqueness of the new UID or new user name, which may result in the following error messages: (return value 6) if the user specified is an NIS user (see passwd(4)). Also, the error (return value 10) is returned if an NIS group is specified with either the option or the option (see group(4)). NFS Errors may occur with the option if either the source or the target directory is within an NFS mounted file system that does not allow root privileges across the NFS mount, and the directory or files within the directory do not have sufficient permissions. RETURN VALUE
exits with one of the following values: Successful completion. Invalid command syntax. Invalid argument supplied to an option. uid is not unique (when is not used). The login to be modified or the group specified with the option does not exist. The login to be modified is in use. new_logname is not unique. Cannot modify the file. The other parts of the update request will be performed. There is insufficient space to move the home directory (with the option). The other parts of the update request will be performed. Unable to complete the move of the home directory to the new home directory. Unable to open file, or file is non-existent. file or file busy. Another command may be modifying the file. Cannot modify the entry in the file. Out of memory. Invalid template file. Exceeding permissible limit of maximum members in a group. The file is not modified. EXAMPLES
Change primary group to Change user ID to and change the login name to WARNINGS
A directory can be shared between the users belonging to the same group. If the home directory is in unshared mode and a new user is allo- cated to that directory, then it will be put into shared mode by setting the permissions of that directory to (includes the write permis- sions to the group as well). Also, the directory which will be shared should have and permissions for the group. Otherwise, will report an error. Because many users may try to write the file simultaneously, a password locking mechanism was devised. If this password locking fails after subsequent retrying, terminates. While modifying the user login, the username is not added to the primary group entry in the file. If a supplemental group is specified, the user is added to the supplemental group. If the size of a group entry in file exceeds limit, a new entry of the same group is created and a warning message is issued. See limits(5) for the value of FILES
Shadow password file System password file System group file Lock file used when updating password file SEE ALSO
passwd(1), users(1), groupadd(1M), groupdel(1M), groupmod(1M), logins(1M), pwconv(1M), useradd(1M), userdel(1M), crypt(3C), crypt2(3C), group(4), shadow(4), usermod(4), limits(5), usergroupname(5). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
usermod(1M)