Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Match & append the files
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Match & append the files Post 92707 by shashi_kiran_v on Wednesday 14th of December 2005 06:21:04 AM
Old 12-14-2005
Thanks a lot vgersh99!. It worked. I think when I searched the forum it was your answer which I took at the first time. You are a genius.

Thanks
Shash

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sort & match multiple files

Hi, I have some question and need some guidance how to sort and match multiple files. 1. all the data in the files are numbers e.g. 1234567 1584752 2563156 2. each sorted file have their own ouput. e.g. test.csv -> test_sorted.csv 3. Then, I need to match all... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nazri76
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find, Append, Move & Rename Multiple Files

Using a bash script, I need to find all files in a folder "except" the newest file. Then I need to insert the contents of one text file into all the files found. This text needs to be placed at the beginning of each file and needs a blank line between it and the current contents of the file. Then I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Trapper
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Match values from 2 files and append certain fields

Hi, I need help on appending certain field in my file1.txt based on matched patterns in file2.txt using awk or sed. The blue color need to match with one of the data in field $2 in file2.txt. If match, BEGIN and FINISHED value in red will have a new value from field $3 and $4 accordingly. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: redse171
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk help: Match data fields from 2 files & output results from both into 1 file

I need to take 2 input files and create 1 output based on matches from each file. I am looking to match field #1 in both files (Userid) and create an output file that will be a combination of fields from both file1 and file2 if there are any differences in the fields 2,3,4,5,or 6. Below is an... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ambroze
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with ksh-to read ip file & append lines to another file based on pattern match

Hi, I need help with this- input.txt : L B white X Y white A B brown M Y black Read this input file and if 3rd column is "white", then add specific lines to another file insert.txt. If 3rd column is brown, add different set of lines to insert.txt, and so on. For example, the given... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: prashob123
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match exact and append zero

file 11 2 12 6 13 7 114 6 011 7 if I'm searching for 11, output needed is output: 11 2 011 7 Code: awk '$1 ~ /^11$/' file I used the above to match exact, but it avoiding "011 7" line too, how to resolve this? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Roozo
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match and Append Based on file contexts

Not Sure how to do this. Some combo of awk and sed perhaps. If String in File1 match String in file2 then append file2 File1.txt BullTerrier Boxer Bulldog File2.txt <Defined info="AllAnimals" group="Adoptions" setting="animals"> <SomeID ="NumbersRepresentingDogName"> <for> <add... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TY718
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match and append - awk

ALL, Please help with this ... File1 000433,ds00d11,tdev,ds00d11_view,0CD3 000433,ds00d12_34,tdev,ds00d12_view,132D File2 CG01_ds00d11_drs,rs1_ds00d11_0CD3_114D,000433,0CD3 CG01_ds00d11_drs,rs1_ds00d11_0CD3_114D,000566,114D ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: greycells
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match the value & print lines from the match

Hello, I have a file contains two columns. I need to print the lines after “xxx” so i'm trying to match "xxx" & cut the lines after that. I'm trying with the grep & cut command, if there any simple way to extract this please help me. Sample file : name id AAA 123 AAB 124 AAC 125... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shenbaga.d
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Matching two fields in two csv files, create new file and append match

I am trying to parse two csv files and make a match in one column then print the entire file to a new file and append an additional column that gives description from the match to the new file. If a match is not made, I would like to add "NA" to the end of the file Command that Ive been using... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dis0wned
6 Replies
CHMOD(2)						      BSD System Calls Manual							  CHMOD(2)

NAME
chmod, fchmod -- change mode of file SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/stat.h> int chmod(const char *path, mode_t mode); int fchmod(int fd, mode_t mode); DESCRIPTION
The function chmod() sets the file permission bits of the file specified by the pathname path to mode. Fchmod() sets the permission bits of the specified file descriptor fd. Chmod() verifies that the process owner (user) either owns the file specified by path (or fd), or is the super-user. A mode is created from or'd permission bit masks defined in <sys/stat.h>: #define S_IRWXU 0000700 /* RWX mask for owner */ #define S_IRUSR 0000400 /* R for owner */ #define S_IWUSR 0000200 /* W for owner */ #define S_IXUSR 0000100 /* X for owner */ #define S_IRWXG 0000070 /* RWX mask for group */ #define S_IRGRP 0000040 /* R for group */ #define S_IWGRP 0000020 /* W for group */ #define S_IXGRP 0000010 /* X for group */ #define S_IRWXO 0000007 /* RWX mask for other */ #define S_IROTH 0000004 /* R for other */ #define S_IWOTH 0000002 /* W for other */ #define S_IXOTH 0000001 /* X for other */ #define S_ISUID 0004000 /* set user id on execution */ #define S_ISGID 0002000 /* set group id on execution */ #define S_ISVTX 0001000 /* save swapped text even after use */ The ISVTX (the sticky bit) indicates to the system which executable files are shareable (the default) and the system maintains the program text of the files in the swap area. The sticky bit may only be set by the super user on shareable executable files. If mode ISVTX (the `sticky bit') is set on a directory, an unprivileged user may not delete or rename files of other users in that directory. The sticky bit may be set by any user on a directory which the user owns or has appropriate permissions. For more details of the properties of the sticky bit, see sticky(8). Writing or changing the owner of a file turns off the set-user-id and set-group-id bits unless the user is the super-user. This makes the system somewhat more secure by protecting set-user-id (set-group-id) files from remaining set-user-id (set-group-id) if they are modified, at the expense of a degree of compatibility. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, a value of 0 is returned. Otherwise, a value of -1 is returned and errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
Chmod() will fail and the file mode will be unchanged if: [ENOTDIR] A component of the path prefix is not a directory. [ENAMETOOLONG] A component of a pathname exceeded {NAME_MAX} characters, or an entire path name exceeded {PATH_MAX} characters. [ENOENT] The named file does not exist. [EACCES] Search permission is denied for a component of the path prefix. [ELOOP] Too many symbolic links were encountered in translating the pathname. [EPERM] The effective user ID does not match the owner of the file and the effective user ID is not the super-user. [EROFS] The named file resides on a read-only file system. [EFAULT] Path points outside the process's allocated address space. [EIO] An I/O error occurred while reading from or writing to the file system. Fchmod() will fail if: [EBADF] The descriptor is not valid. [EINVAL] fd refers to a socket, not to a file. [EROFS] The file resides on a read-only file system. [EIO] An I/O error occurred while reading from or writing to the file system. SEE ALSO
chmod(1), open(2), chown(2), stat(2), sticky(8) STANDARDS
The chmod() function is expected to conform to IEEE Std 1003.1-1988 (``POSIX.1''). HISTORY
The fchmod() function call appeared in 4.2BSD. 4th Berkeley Distribution June 4, 1993 4th Berkeley Distribution