Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Copy and compress
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Copy and compress Post 91170 by here2learn on Wednesday 30th of November 2005 08:29:04 AM
Old 11-30-2005
That's what I was looking for !! MAN, for the life of me, I can't believe I didn't remember that option. Bet I won't forget it next time.

It seems the the times are approximately the same for all three methods, however Ygor's method does provide the one-line code I was looking for and prevents having to remove any named-pipe.

Thanks Ygor !!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Details of compress -b

Hello. Can any1 help me with the compress command. The -b option takes the number of bits used for encoding. can u expalin why this number of bits is used and for what purpose. what is the maximum number we can provide? In SFU these number has a valod range between 12 and 16 y?? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rahulrathod
1 Replies

2. SCO

Help on compress command

Hello. Can any1 help me with the compress command. The -b option takes the number of bits used for encoding. can u expalin why this number of bits is used and for what purpose. what is the maximum number we can provide? In SFU these number has a valod range between 12 and 16 y?? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rahulrathod
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Compress and copy a Folder

hi Buddies , How can i Compress and move a folder through UNIX completely to windows 2000 through FTP. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scorpiyanz
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help to compress

People i have files.arc i need to compress one by one...but they need to have the same date for example jan 30 1234.arc jan 30 12334.arc jan 30 rejrne.arc jan 30 e423e4.arc jan 30 afdhnfhd.arc jan 31 aresdfds.arc I need to compres the jan 30 .arc only thank you very much (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: enkei17
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy Compress as one command

Hi, I need to copy and compress files in a directory in single line of command. I am able to copy and gzip files in one command but not directory. Command that I am using for copying directory is below : cp -rp /u01/app/<directory> /u01/app/backup |gzip -r /u01/app/backup/<directory> ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: findprakash
10 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What is in-core copy and disk-copy of i-node table?

I have found a question from the exercises of my study mat. The question is "Why are there a in-core copy and a disk-copy of i-node block and super block?" If any one know the proper answer then please send me..... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dearanik
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Issue: Compress in unix server and FTP to windows and open the compress file using Winzip

Hi All ! We have to compress a big data file in unix server and transfer it to windows and uncompress it using winzip in windows. I have used the utility ZIP like the below. zip -e <newfilename> df2_test_extract.dat but when I compress files greater than 4 gb using zip utility, it... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sakthifire
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

compress folder

hi guys, i've read that i need to use tar first before gzip. just wanted to be sure if there's no way of compressing a folder with all its files like winzip in windows? using tar then gzip in unix, i will need to open 2 zip files in order to get the files unlike winzip. i'd appreciate any... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: adshocker
2 Replies

9. Web Development

Compress then Delete

Hi all, Someone please help with a script that will compress a directory for backed up: home/main/directory2Bcompressed/ home/main/directory2Bcompressed_date.zip Then all the files in the directory are to be deleted right afterwards, emptied out for new files to come in: ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: MrDude
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help - To copy and compress files one day ago

Hi dears, Hi All, I'm a new member of this Forum. I have need your help to handle this request. "I want to copy and Compress files not of today but of yesterday only using some script". For example I have the following files under a particular directory in a Solaris machine. ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: JackyJohn
7 Replies
Tie::Scalar(3pm)					 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					  Tie::Scalar(3pm)

NAME
Tie::Scalar, Tie::StdScalar - base class definitions for tied scalars SYNOPSIS
package NewScalar; require Tie::Scalar; @ISA = (Tie::Scalar); sub FETCH { ... } # Provide a needed method sub TIESCALAR { ... } # Overrides inherited method package NewStdScalar; require Tie::Scalar; @ISA = (Tie::StdScalar); # All methods provided by default, so define only what needs be overridden sub FETCH { ... } package main; tie $new_scalar, 'NewScalar'; tie $new_std_scalar, 'NewStdScalar'; DESCRIPTION
This module provides some skeletal methods for scalar-tying classes. See perltie for a list of the functions required in tying a scalar to a package. The basic Tie::Scalar package provides a "new" method, as well as methods "TIESCALAR", "FETCH" and "STORE". The Tie::StdScalar package provides all the methods specified in perltie. It inherits from Tie::Scalar and causes scalars tied to it to behave exactly like the built-in scalars, allowing for selective overloading of methods. The "new" method is provided as a means of grandfathering, for classes that forget to provide their own "TIESCALAR" method. For developers wishing to write their own tied-scalar classes, the methods are summarized below. The perltie section not only documents these, but has sample code as well: TIESCALAR classname, LIST The method invoked by the command "tie $scalar, classname". Associates a new scalar instance with the specified class. "LIST" would represent additional arguments (along the lines of AnyDBM_File and compatriots) needed to complete the association. FETCH this Retrieve the value of the tied scalar referenced by this. STORE this, value Store data value in the tied scalar referenced by this. DESTROY this Free the storage associated with the tied scalar referenced by this. This is rarely needed, as Perl manages its memory quite well. But the option exists, should a class wish to perform specific actions upon the destruction of an instance. MORE INFORMATION
The perltie section uses a good example of tying scalars by associating process IDs with priority. perl v5.8.0 2002-06-01 Tie::Scalar(3pm)