Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Line Splitting
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Line Splitting Post 91079 by zazzybob on Tuesday 29th of November 2005 10:11:56 PM
Old 11-29-2005
Which OS??

If you've got the fold command....

Code:
$ echo "0102030405" | fold -w 2

Cheers
ZB

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Splitting a line up

9600012301F TF02FT T03FFTF04TF 05T FF06TTTT I have to split this line up into this 96000123 01F TF 02FT T 03FFTF 04TF 05T FF 06TTTT Can anyone please Help?? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lilas
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Splitting a line

I have a series of .txt files, that contain lines of text separated by the following string ==================== In some of the .txt files, the string ends with the word Document, leaving the string ==================Document. I would like to be able to split any such line and move the word... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: spindoctor
16 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting the line in multiple lines

Hi Guys, I need a help. I am pretty new to the shell level programing. I was trying to split a long lines to a multiple lines with few conditions. I goggle for the code and found some snippets and tried to modified it but I got few strange problems too. I have to split the lines if line is ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dd_sh
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in splitting a line into fields in shell scripting

I have a line of more than 3000 bytes which will contain & as fields separator..I am using following awk command ..Its working but its not accepting the line more than 3000 bytes...Anyother alternate solution even in othe shell command also fine... awk -F '&' '{for( i=1; i<=NF; i++ ) print $i}'... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: punithavel
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting 12M line file

I have a 12M line file that I need to split into smaller files but I'm getting a csplit: virtual memory exhausted error How can I quickly split this file? This is sze -r-xr-xr-x+ 1 VERGE Domain Users 1158288000 May 4 16:31 inputfile This is the command I've tried... csplit... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: verge
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting a line with pattern in Sed - Unix

I have a file with single line, that line contains just like the following sample 00200100293^30^1^bla bla ...._______To: zabell00200100293^30^3^aSub00200100293^30^4^ellaCc: Sanders,De on my desk__________00200100293^30^4^___________________________________00A00ABC0293^30^1^something___To: some... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vasan
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting file based on line numbers

Hello friends, Is there any way to split file from n to n+6 into 1 file and (n+7) to (n+16) into other file etc. f.e I have source pipe delimated file with 20 lines and i need to split 1-6 in file1 and 7-16 in file2 and 17-20 in file 3 I need to split into fixed number of file like 4 files... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rizzu155
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting Single line into multiple line

Hi All, I am reading a line from a file and writing it to other file. Whenever I got a particular line then I want that line to be splited into 4 line and written it to new file. e.g My line is U_ABC connector3 pin24E connector4 pin25E connector5 pin26E connector6 pin27E connector7... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: diehard
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting one line into multiple lines

Hi, I have one problem scenorio as below. my source file is : cat input_file. "hi","there","how","are","you?","It","was","great","working","with","you.","hope","to","work","y ou." my output should be like. "hi","there","how","are","you?", "It","was","great","working","with",... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhilash_nakka
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting a line in two variables

Hello. The file /etc/fstab contains UUID=957c3295-9944-1593-82e2-2b90dede4312 / ext4 acl,user_xattr 1 1I fill a variable SOME_LINE=$( cat /etc/fstab | grep \/\..*ext4 )I want PART1=>>>>>UUID=957c3295-9944-1593-82e2-2b90dede4312 / ext4 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
2 Replies
fold(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   fold(1)

NAME
fold - Breaks or wraps lines in a file SYNOPSIS
fold [-bs] [-w width | -width] [file...] The fold command wraps lines in the specified files. If a file is not specified, standard input is the default. All lines are wrapped to meet the maximum width specified. STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: fold: XCU5.0 Refer to the standards(5) reference page for more information about industry standards and associated tags. OPTIONS
Specifies that width be counted in bytes rather than in column positions. Using the -b option does not limit lines to LINE_MAX bytes. Breaks (or wraps) a line if a segment of the line contains a blank character in the first width column position (or bytes). This enables the line to meet width constraints. If a blank character is not in the correct width column position, the -s option has no affect on that input line. Specifies the maximum width to use when lines are wrapped in column positions (or bytes if the -b option is specified). Either -w width or -width is acceptable input where width is the number of column positions (or bytes). The default value is 80. DESCRIPTION
The fold command is a filter that wraps lines from the specified input files or standard input to a maximum of width (or bytes, if the -b option is specified). The fold command wraps lines by inserting a newline character into the output so that each output line is the maxi- mum column positions or bytes specified. A line cannot be broken in the middle of a character. The fold command is often used to send text files to line printers that truncate, rather than wrap, lines wider than the printer is able to print (usually 80 or 132 column positions). If the <backspace>, <tab>, or <carriage return> characters are encountered in the input, and the -b option is not specified, these charac- ters are treated specially: The current count of line width is decremented by one, although the count never becomes negative. The fold command does not insert a newline character immediately before or after any backspace character. Each tab character encountered advances the column position pointer to the position of the next tab stop. Tab stops are at each column position number, such that number modulo 8 equals 1. The current count of the line width is set to zero (0). The fold command does not insert a newline immediately before or after any carriage return. [Tru64 UNIX] The fold command possibly affects underlining in a file. EXIT STATUS
The fold command returns the following values: All input files were successfully processed. [Tru64 UNIX] A usage error occurred. [Tru64 UNIX] An input file cannot be opened. The fold command continues processing the other input files specified on the command line. EXAMPLES
The fold command can be used to prepare files to be joined side-by-side with the paste command. For example, the contents of two files, az and AZ follows: aaaa bbbb cccc dddd eeee ffff gggg hhhh iiii jjjj kkkk llll mmmm nnnn oooo pppp qqqq rrrr ssss tttt uuuu vvvv wwww xxxx yyyy zzzz AAAA BBBB CCCC DDDD EEEE FFFF GGGG HHHH IIII JJJJ KKKK LLLL MMMM NNNN OOOO PPPP QQQQ RRRR SSSS TTTT UUUU VVVV WWWW XXXX YYYY ZZZZ To display the az and AZ files side-by-side, use the following command line: fold -w 32 az > az2; fold -w 32 AZ > AZ2; paste -d" " az2 AZ2 Executing the previous command line results in the following output: aaaa bbbb cccc dddd eeee ffff gg AAAA BBBB CCCC DDDD EEEE FFFF GG gg hhhh iiii jjjj kkkk llll mmmm GG HHHH IIII JJJJ KKKK LLLL MMMM nnnn oooo pppp qqqq rrrr ssss tt NNNN OOOO PPPP QQQQ RRRR SSSS TT tt uuuu vvvv wwww xxxx yyyy zzzz TT UUUU VVVV WWWW XXXX YYYY ZZZZ ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
The following environment variables affect the execution of fold: Provides a default value for the internationalization variables that are unset or null. If LANG is unset or null, the corresponding value from the default locale is used. If any of the internationalization vari- ables contain an invalid setting, the utility behaves as if none of the variables had been defined. If set to a non-empty string value, overrides the values of all the other internationalization variables. Determines the locale for the interpretation of sequences of bytes of text data as characters (for example, single-byte as opposed to multibyte characters in arguments) and for the determination of the width in column positions each character would occupy on a constant-width font output device. Determines the locale for the format and contents of diagnostic messages written to standard error. Determines the location of message catalogues for the processing of LC_MES- SAGES. SEE ALSO
Commands: cut(1), expand(1), paste(1) Standards: standards(5) fold(1)