Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: EBCIDIC to ASCII
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting EBCIDIC to ASCII Post 90658 by bourne on Friday 25th of November 2005 07:09:51 AM
Old 11-25-2005
EBCIDIC to ASCII

can anyone get a script for converting EBCIDIC data to Unix ina file.. in shell...

thanks in advance!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ascii

a silly question but is there a way to display individual ascii values say if i type 65 it will display the letter instead? thanks fo any help. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: melkor
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

ebcidic file coversion to ascii

I want to convert an ebcidic( variable length) file to ascii. Is it possible to do it using a unix scripting.if so, how (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rintingtong
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

conversion of EBCIDIC to ASCII format

Hi all, I need help on above said subject. I have a flat file which is in EBCDIC format,i want to convert into ASCII fromat using 'MFSORT'. file contains COMP-3 value in some positions. Can you please provide the SCRIPT SYNTAX.(assume that file is of 80 byte length and it is having COMP-3... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijayakumarg
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ascii value of character?

Is there a way to determine the ascii value of a character? For example, let's say a shell variable has the value 'A'. I would like it's ascii value (e.g. 65 in this case). I would like to do this from a script (preferably ksh). (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: sszd
12 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Viewing Ebcidic files

I am having trouble viewing these files from my unix session. vi comes back with line too long. Also an m_dump with the relevant dml comes back with problems. How can I view this as a text file? Also is there an easy way to view specific records within. Eg I have a policy id (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: trek88
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

convert ascii values into ascii characters

Hi gurus, I have a file in unix with ascii values. I need to convert all the ascii values in the file to ascii characters. File contains nearly 20000 records with ascii values. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandeeppvk
10 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

applying unix command in EBCIDIC file

Hi, I'm having a general query. If we do cat <file name> on a Ebcidic format file then many unknown characters are displayed in my screen. Can we change the character set related to EBCIDIC in session level and apply the cat command on a EBCIDIC file? By doing so can we able to see the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: poova
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What is ASCII character?

Hi Guru, I have put one post yesterday and get answer. thanks for your help. my question today is: what is ascii character for following non printable characters: ( we need filter these characters out in another process) ^MM-^E^MM-^E. Old post link: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ken002
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ebcidic to ASCII (Packed decimals are there)

I have a input file which is EBCIDIC and it has packed decimals. Can anyone help me to convert EBCIDIC file to ASCII(Need to convert even Packed decimal values also to normal format) (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anusha_Reddy
12 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert Hex to Ascii in a Ascii file

Hi All, I have an ascii file in which few columns are having hex values which i need to convert into ascii. Kindly suggest me what command can be used in unix shell scripting? Thanks in Advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: HemaV
2 Replies
exit(1)                                                            User Commands                                                           exit(1)

NAME
exit, return, goto - shell built-in functions to enable the execution of the shell to advance beyond its sequence of steps SYNOPSIS
sh exit [n] return [n] csh exit [ ( expr )] goto label ksh *exit [n] *return [n] DESCRIPTION
sh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. If n is omitted the exit status is that of the last command executed (an EOF will also cause the shell to exit.) return causes a function to exit with the return value specified by n. If n is omitted, the return status is that of the last command exe- cuted. csh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit, either with the value of the status variable or with the value specified by the expression expr. The goto built-in uses a specified label as a search string amongst commands. The shell rewinds its input as much as possible and searches for a line of the form label: possibly preceded by space or tab characters. Execution continues after the indicated line. It is an error to jump to a label that occurs between a while or for built-in command and its corresponding end. ksh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the exit status is that of the last command executed. When exit occurs when executing a trap, the last command refers to the command that executed before the trap was invoked. An end-of-file will also cause the shell to exit except for a shell which has the ignoreeof option (See set below) turned on. return causes a shell function or '.' script to return to the invoking script with the return status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the return status is that of the last command executed. If return is invoked while not in a function or a '.' script, then it is the same as an exit. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
break(1), csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 exit(1)