Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: How to the prof/gprof tool
Top Forums Programming How to the prof/gprof tool Post 90611 by amatsaka on Thursday 24th of November 2005 10:30:07 AM
Old 11-24-2005
How to the prof/gprof tool

Hello everyone

I want to use the standard Unix prof/gprof tool for my application but I cannot get through the compilation part. I have add the -xpg option in my makefile as specified in the cc man page but the linker gives me the following error:
Undefined first referenced
symbol in file
mcount dlmMain.o
ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to dlm
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `DLM'

My main module does not contain any mcount symbol, so I guess is something that has to do with the prof option (-xpg).

How I can overcome this problem? Is there any site with usefull info?

Thanx

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linux SuSe 7.2 prof

does someone know the requierements for this OS?!? i installed it on an AMD 850 with 256MB then i tried to install it on an AMD 500 with 64MB, and it doesnt work :( it says, during starting the system, unable to mount /root in 3a:00! i cant go into install, recue or anything else! i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Distributer
1 Replies

2. Solaris

Tool top

Hi @all, I have some SUN boxes running. Now I'm looking for the tool "top". Where can I find it? As I could see it is not installed on sys boxes. Thanx and regards daemon (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: daemon
2 Replies

3. Solaris

CD burning tool

Im looking for any GUI Based burner to work under sun solaris 10, any ideas > (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: XP_2600
7 Replies

4. AIX

Nmon tool

How to analyze nmon output or is there any tool for analyzing. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vjm
2 Replies

5. Solaris

sar tool

Hi All, I have come through this very nice tool which stores the week performance stats in solaris, but its only stores the stats for 8 in the morning to 5 in the evening. i want to extend the facility to work 24 hrs . Does anyone know how to do that? Thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: azs0309
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Chronicle tool

Hi all, Any one know about the chronicle tool. I came to know which is a scheduler tool. If u know any links regarding this please let me know. Regards Saravan (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: saravanakumar
3 Replies

7. Ubuntu

Fedora Windows XP Prof dual boot

Faced with a "learn the new platform at your own expense or lose your job" ultimatum, I bought a Maxtor internal HD and added it to my older HP desktop which had been upgraded from Windows to Windows Professional. I installed Fedora on the new 500 GB HD and tried putting the Fedora boot partition... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dba18
5 Replies

8. Infrastructure Monitoring

LogAnalysis Tool

Hello Due to my semester project I am searching a LogAnalysis Tool for Linux platforms. The tool should offer following functionalities: - support Ubuntu/Debian/CentOS - analyse as much as possible system logs - deployable for >100 servers - central administration on one host (preferable... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Xava
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

XWindow Tool

Hi Guys can any one help me in this regard .. I'm using Reflaction and xManager but I want list of another xWindow tools between Unix and Windows .. Pls advice .. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: top.level
1 Replies
smonitor(3C)															      smonitor(3C)

NAME
smonitor() - prepare execution profile SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
is an interface to sprofil(2) for collecting sampling information for execution profiles. To use link in the library by specifying on the linker command line or on the compiler command line. See gprof(1). For any application compiled with the option, the library collects profiling sampling information. But if an application requires finer control over profiling, the library yields control to an application that uses To stop the collection of sampling information, use: Use gprof(1) to examine the results. Parameters is an array of structures describing the regions to be profiled. It is defined in header The structure has the following fields: The fields are as follows: is the start address of the text segment of the load module. is the end address of the text segment of the load module. is the name of the load module (not the path name). The name of the load module should be the same as recorded in the executable by is the number of elements in the array regions. is the starting address a buffer to collect sampling information. is the length of is the only memory region used by to collect profiling information, so it should be big enough for all specified regions. does not initialize With more than one call to in the same process, dumps the sampling information collected with the last call. does not discard the information collected in previous calls if it is present in the buffer passed to last call of is unused and kept for future usage. is used to choose 16-bit or 32-bit buckets to collect sampling information. If is set to treats the buffer as an array of 16-bit buckets; if set to treats the buffer as an array of 32-bit buckets. For more information refer to sprofil(2). EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
Environment Variables The behavior of is controlled by the environment variable. See gprof(1). behaves with different settings of as follows: does not set up the buffers to collect sampling information. It is expected that will be called explicitly to collect the sampling information. So it is the ideal case to call the explicitly. sets up the sampling buffer for all the load modules and starts to collect the sampling information. Now if is invoked explicitly, is stopped, the buffer allocated by is deallocated, and all the sampling information collected prior to calling is lost. uses the buffer passed as an argument and starts again. sets up the sampling buffer for the load modules ldm1 and ldm2 and starts to collect the sampling information. Now if is invoked explicitly, is stopped, the buffer allocated by is deallocated, and all the sampling information collected prior to calling is lost. uses the buffer passed as an argument and starts again. If is not set, behaves as though FILES
SEE ALSO
cc(1), gprof(1), sprofil(2). smonitor(3C)