Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: sub routine call
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sub routine call Post 89116 by jim mcnamara on Thursday 10th of November 2005 05:59:40 PM
Old 11-10-2005
normally a sub can be called like a function - without the & in front as long as you have the ( ) part at the end so the interpreter can figure out it's a subroutine.

You must have the & when:
you call a subroutine without parameters: ⊂
you call a subroutine indirectly by name &$subref(args);
you call a subroutine by reference &$subref;

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Entry Points Routine

How do we pronounciate bdevsw and cdevsw Kernel resources ? I presume it as block or charcter device software table. Am I Correct in my assumption ? Thanks in advance. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: S.P.Prasad
9 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Routine Task being a Solaris Administrator

Hi, What are routine task being a solaris administrator ? Thanks, Far (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Far
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to cp files to dir,using routine?

hi all, I wanted to know how we can copy files to dirs, through a routine and when the file and the dir are specified as parameters for that routine and explicitly called? Eg: suppose i want to copy file1 to /tmp then myproc() { . . } myproc /path/file1 /tmp/ These parameters when... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wrapster
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to cp files to dir,using routine?

hi all, I wanted to know how we can copy files to dirs, through a routine and when the file and the dir are specified as parameters for that routine and explicitly called? Eg: suppose i want to copy file1 to /tmp then myproc() { . . } myproc /path/file1 /tmp/ These parameters when... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wrapster
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

File exists routine

Hello experts, I need some help here.. I've written the following routine to check for existence of files. The routine does the following. It will look for a compressed ( .Z ) file and if it exists, then it will uncompress it, if it is already uncompressed, then it will just diplay a message... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamathg
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk routine help

Hi, I use awk but not as a programming language. Just generally in piplelines to split things out by fields. I am trying to accomplish this one thing that I think a short awk routine would do great for, but can't figure it out. Lets say I have a file that contains database columns. The file... (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: fwellers
25 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl - Call a sub routine in a command

Hi all I have written a simple perl script that has different options i.e. myscript -l -p etc i have it so when it runs without any switches it runs a subroutine called nvrm_norm i want to be able to do a -p option and run pall -w -f and then called the subruotine pall is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ab52
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Return a hash table from a sub routine

hello, i am new to scripting and would like to know how to return a hash table from a sub routine. i tried the following, my %hash_function = (); hash_function = &return_hash(); sub return_hash { my %hash = (); ///populate the hash return %hash; } but it dosent seem to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hemalathak10
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Paramerter pass for function(sub routine) need help

Hi, Please help me here while passing the paramert to fuction i am facing problem. i tryied passing 7 PARAMeter in side single quote,double quate even tried tild sign not working. how can assign it properly . usage () { typeset -i NumPARAMs=$1 typeset -i PARAM1=$2 typeset PARAM2=$3... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nitindreamz
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL: Calling a sub routine from another module - help!!!

Hi, I am an occasional PERL user. I am trying to call a sub routine (passing parameters) in perl module from a driver .pl file. I have been "tinkering" for a while now and have confused myself. Could someone please look at the code below and spot where I am going wrong. testPerl.pl ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: chris01010
0 Replies
PLOT(3F)																  PLOT(3F)

NAME
plot: openpl et al. - f77 library interface to plot(3X) libraries. SYNOPSIS
subroutine openpl() subroutine erase() subroutine label(str) character str*(*) subroutine line(ix1, iy1, ix2, iy2) subroutine box(ix1, iy1, ix2, iy2) Draw a rectangle and leave the cursor at ( ix2,iy2). subroutine circle(ix, iy, ir) subroutine arc(ix, iy, ix0, iy0, ix1, iy1) subroutine move(ix, iy) subroutine cont(ix, iy) subroutine point(ix, iy) subroutine linemd(str) character str*(*) subroutine space(ix0, iy0, ix1, iy1) subroutine clospl() DESCRIPTION
These are interface subroutines, in the library -lf77plot, allowing f77 users to call the plot(3X) graphics routines which generate graphic output in a relatively device-independent manner. The f77 subroutine names are the same as the C function names except that linemod and closepl have been shortened to linemd and clospl . See plot(5) and plot(3X) for a description of their effect. Only the first 255 character in string arguments to label and linemd are used. This library must be specified in the f77(1) command before the device specific graphics library; for example, to compile and load a FOR- TRAN program in prog.f to run on a Tektronix 4014 terminal: f77 prog.f -lf77plot -l4014 See plot(3X) for a complete list of device specific plotting libraries. SEE ALSO
plot(5), plot(1G), plot(3X), graph(1G) 4.3 Berkeley Distribution April 30, 1986 PLOT(3F)